GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm day three of my extended demo and am still trying to figure out all the nuances of the GL. I've found very little to complain about.

That said, is there a trick to checking the rear tire pressure? No way I can get to the valve with the bike on the side stand even on the center stand, I'm not sure I can squeeze in under the left bag. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You check the air pressure on the rear tire by putting a tire guage on the end of the little thingy that sticks up from the metal part of the tire that has a little valve in it. Then you look at the numbers that are on the tire guage to see what the pressure is in the rear tire. :22yikes:

I couldn't resist the opportunity :lol:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
No easy way.....I always have to prepare myself to lay down on my side beside the bike to check the tire pressure. Lucky for me I got it sitting on a big piece of carpet in my garage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cosmic_chariot said:
I just checked my rear tire pressure... no biggie.. I just lay on the floor
and use a gauge... :roll:

cosmic
Damn.

With all the other features the Wing has, I was hoping it would inflate its own tires. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Why didn't they have the valve stem point to the right of the bike...
Then the side stand would have been slightly better than center, instead of impossible!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
daver said:
Why didn't they have the valve stem point to the right of the bike...
Then the side stand would have been slightly better than center, instead of impossible!!!!!!!
Probably because the brake rotor would get in the way then...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Opening ceremony window will show rear tire pressure for you. Here's how........

Push display button 4 times, holding it in on the fourth push.
While holding display down, push unlock on remote twice, release display button, push reverse button twice. Display will now show the correct rear tire pressure. If this wont work for you, you probably need to replace your remote batteries!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not so bad after all. I got the Wing up on the center stand for the first time tonight and the valve is much more accessible than I originally thought.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Once the bike is on the center stand, the rear wheel can easily be rotated so the valve stem is at the bottom, assuming the bike is in neutral. Now that I've got a 70 series tire on the rear, there isn't as much clearance between the rear tire and the ground, but there's still daylight.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
While doing a rear air check, don't forget to check Crush washer clearance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now that you have found the right position, remember to keep a frequent check on the pressure in both tires. It's a proven fact that low pressure affects performance handling and tire life along with other things. Proper inflation is very important.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Lay down?

All of us that rode 1500's know that the stems pointed to the right on them. Still, I always check pressure on 1500's and 1800's the same way--put it on the center stand, roll the valve to the bottom, then while kneeling reach in and check the pressure.

My bike is always on the center stand while in the garage, and I check the pressure on both ends before each day's ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Silverwil said:
Now that you have found the right position, remember to keep a frequent check on the pressure in both tires. It's a proven fact that low pressure affects performance handling and tire life along with other things. Proper inflation is very important.
I'm anal about tire pressure. As a rule, I keep both front/rear inflated to the recommended PSI for two-up riding - although I only ride solo. I figure that at the very least, this will mitigate tire cupping.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You might want to consider 41 lbs in front and rear tire. This is pressure that most use for better tire wear.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
tire pressure

And you might want to consider installing "Smartire". It will do the checking for you. Once you have this aftermarket product, you will wonder why every vehicle on the road does not come with them. They will be required on most vehicles in a few years. Go to Fred Harmons (fred h) web site- there is a very complete write up about smart tire and lots of other cool additions.

Try this:
http://www.angelridevideos.com

(once there - click the "product reviews link".

Angel Ride Enterprises (LLC)
GL1800 Maintenance DVD video (14 Disc set)
order line: (800) 974-1555 ext 10
or 903-455-2555

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I just checked my rear tire pressure... no biggie.. I just lay on the floor
and use a gauge... :roll:

cosmic
ditto

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I have one of those "talking" tire gauges..nice when is wet/dirty/nasty/grungy out..(bike or weather)...chuck

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Jchefboyardee said:
While doing a rear air check, don't forget to check Crush washer clearance!
While doing that I always check my left muffler oil level, gotta keep it full you know. :lol:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts