GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live about one mile from the nearest gas station. If I check the air pressure in the tires before I leave my house and go by what it reads, should I then just assume that if it read two pounds low, that when I reach the gas station I should just add two pounds. I guess what I am wondering is how much the one mile ride affects air pressue. Or is the one mile ride to short to make much of a difference.
Joe

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello that will work...ere on the high side!! I carry a small air compresser from harber freight!! some get at auto zone...chuck

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
ThirdJoe,

You can get a small 110 volt compressor from Sears or other places. You might even find one for $50. You will find several for about $100.

They aren't very expensive, don't take up much room but they are handy when you need to adjust your tire pressure. That way you can set your tire pressure at home just like you should and before you put on all of your riding gear.

Another way to do it is to put a few extra pounds in your tires at that nearby gas station before you get home. Next day or before your next ride you can bleed them down to your desired pressure.

I prefer having my own compressor because the gas stations are notorious for having water in their compressed air.

·
Registered
652 Posts
ThirdJoe,

You should really have a 12 volt compressor that you carry in the saddlebag. Wal-Mart and K-mart have some for under 10 bucks. Check those tires everyday you ride. Remember the best place to find a nail in your tire is either in the driveway at home or in the motel parking lot before you take off for the day. You don't want to discover it on the road or at 70 miles per hour.

I generally have to add air to my back tire every few days and I have done this since it was new on several sets of tires and stems.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I use a good quality bicycle pump, and check the pressure in the garage before heading out. Have used this method for years.

My current tires are E3's with 17,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
What does the pressure in the grage have to do with tire pressure? :wink:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
try "garage", no spell check on that one.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Some years ago, I bought a real kick a$$ air compressor from Home Depot. Now I just check real cold pressure, adjust & ride off! It was worth the investment, as sometimes I have to take the car.

However, you are correct: Check cold pressure, check again at station and add the difference to the 'normal' pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts