GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know why I do this. 30k miles ago it was a sharp rock that cut 2/3 through. This time it was a 1" self-tapping screw. Took some tugging to get it out, and of course it went 'Psssss...'

It is a run-flat but I'm not anxious to try it out with the two of us totaling 330:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Is it true the RF can't be repaired?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reason it couldn't be plugged but I will check with Discount Tire. The run flat is mainly stiffer sidewalls. Seems like I paid $140 mounted so that's not a lot of money to replace it. We really like this tire!:bow:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Plug it and wear it out.

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
As a rule, I inspect my rear tire every night when I check into a hotel when I'm on the road. I like to do it in the evenings cause if I find a nail, that gives me all night to plug it and allows the cement time to set before I air it up. I'd rather find it at night than in the morning with a flat tire. I just incorporate my tire check into my nightly wipe down process.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Yes it can.BUT not if it was driven for any extended period of time with no air in it.But if caught early (with a TPMS) then plug it and go.

No reason it couldn't be plugged but I will check with Discount Tire. The run flat is mainly stiffer sidewalls. Seems like I paid $140 mounted so that's not a lot of money to replace it. We really like this tire!:bow:
As with any tire A repair depends on each tire puncture.

From the picture I see here.I'd plug it and forget it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay! Repaired by Discount Tire (no charge). Plugged and patched from the inside with no lose of integrity. And I got to practice tire changing by laying it over and picking it up.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I would remove the tire and put on a new motorcycle tire. Those CTs seem to attract nails with their wider footprint

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
personally i would not be the least bit worried about plugging that tire from the outside

the inside plug patch that they used is even better :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I keep thinking to myself that I need to be as careful as Fred ... but ... I ride 260 miles on Monday morning ... park the bike in front of the hotel until Thursday afternoon. When I start up the bike on Thursday, I do check to see if the TPMS light is on ... if not ... no leak.
I guess my problem is (besides laziness) by Thursday afternoon, I'm so anxious to get the heck out of OKC, I don't take the time to do more than the walk-around.
Even having a Michelin blow out on me at 70 mph 28 years ago hasn't cured me...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Nope, not according to Discount Tire (The Chain). They will plug it, take it off and then patch the inside one time.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Just this last sunday i saw a lady go down over low front tire pres. NEED to keep a eye on those tires.
I think it could be argued that she went down because her skill set was inadequate to feel a low front tire. :shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts