GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

I'm in the process of checking the valve clearance on my '05 1800..I have Fred's DVD set and he puts the bike in gear then rotates the rear tire with his foot to move the crankshaft....

Question: On the end of the crank there is a 14mm bolt. Is there some reason why I shouldn't use a socket wrench on this bolt to rotate the crank. With all six plugs removed it could easily be turned. It seems so obvious that it's got me worried that it might be a no-no. I am worried that there is a reason why I shouldn't use it to rotate the crank. It appears to be there just for this reason but I thought I would ask before I did something dumb and screwed up something.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I helped a friend check valves in conjunction with a spark plug change. With the plugs out, the engine turned freely while turning the bolt.

Both times I checked mine, the plugs were in place and I turned the engine with the wheel.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You need to get a Manual, that bolt is there to turn the crank (with plugs removed), it also has marks to indicate which pistons are at TDC for clearance checks :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Fred just could not keep his feet still, that's all.

prs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts