GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am already thinking of my first Spring ride to be over to N.C. / Tennessee border for the Cherahola and Tail of the Dragon. But without having friends anymore that also ride, it would be alone. Other than the loneliness part, strictly talking safety (lots of twisties) and group things to do, this is a question for others that have been. Is a lone-wolf trip advisable? My wife has NO interest in going.

· Registered
131 Posts
I ride alone most of the time. My wife is no longer comfortable on a bike and like MTShipp very few of my friends ride any more. Just be mindful of the crazy people out there. Even on short rides I always have my tire repair kit, inflater, battery jump/start and of course iphone with me. I do have the advantage of just heading north from home for about 20 minutes gets me to rural areas to ride in. Different times of the year brings different scenery and smells. Love riding.

· Registered
10,618 Posts
Depending on when you go there may be other riders in the area willing to meet up with you and ride. Post your itinerary, you may be surprised...

· Registered
4,818 Posts
Weekends bring out the wannaBe racers.
Pick a weekday to ride there, is my advice.
Weekdays are definite for the Dragon. Also, don't do it too early in the day. Dew may still be on the road.
Take your time and enjoy the ride. No reason to hurry. Some turns are real butt clinchers. Mt wife also had no desire to do the dragon.
The Cherohola is actually a nice leisurely ride by comparison.

· Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,720 Posts
Ah, the open road! To feel the wind rushing by without the worry of hitting the back of some ones fender. Going during the week, is a plus as there are less riders on the road. Just you the bike and God! What could be more enjoyable!

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

· Premium Member
2014 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
138 Posts
I would agree with what others have said in that during the weekend it's.....busy. I have the pleasure of being able to do both. Many times my lovely bride likes to go with me, sometimes on her own bike, and then there are rides that I do alone. It's all good. As ssncob said, post up your plan and you never know who might like to join ya. BUT, to make the trip really enjoyable, be it alone or with company, be sure to visit the Tellico Grains Bakery in Tellico Plains at the End/Beginning of the Cherohola. This will put a smil on your face and you can thank me later. Enjoy.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
I ride alone all the time and love it. Every time I have bin up in that area I have met other riders who have asked my to join them on a ride. Very friendly people up that way. When you are by yourself do not over ride your skill.
Vince, maybe the most profoundly intelligent comment I have read here in quite some time. I was up in Maggie Valley last Fall, and rode the Cherohala/Deals Gap loop out of Cherokee going clockwise. Alone. Long day with tourist stops, but one the most gratifying. Why? I was not chasing some moron "speed demon" trying to convince the group (or maybe himself) he still possessed sufficient testosterone. Rode it for the ride with a solid rhythmic pace allowing time to spot scenic pull-outs. Still recall coming down Rt. 28 [eastbound] down that steep hill into Stecoah when a group of BMW riders blew past me. I was doing 60. They were at least 20mph faster...until they found that intersection (stop) at the bottom. Sill laughing every time I think about it; overriding your skill level in a group. Sure hope those boys were OK. Did not appear they wanted anyone's help.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
I am already thinking of my first Spring ride to be over to N.C. / Tennessee border for the Cherahola and Tail of the Dragon. But without having friends anymore that also ride, it would be alone. Other than the loneliness part, strictly talking safety (lots of twisties) and group things to do, this is a question for others that have been. Is a lone-wolf trip advisable? My wife has NO interest in going.
You will be fine, plenty of riders around if help Is ever needed. Riding those roads alone is my preferred way to go…..

”I ride alone….
yea…..with no…body else,
I ride alone…..
yea…..with no…body else,

Cause ya know ….when I ride alone,
I prefer…..to be by my…self”

:)

· Registered
281 Posts
Did all that myself on a solo ride from Texas a few years back. Loved it.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I wouldn't want to ride with anyone who is willing to ride with me. LOL. I have ridden down to and all around NC twice by myself. Including the Dragon and Cherahola. From The Boston Ma. area. I'm actually heading down again in June with a friend this time.

· Registered
482 Posts
I've never used it (yet at least), but maybe this will make you feel better. Hopefully, if you ever need it you'll be in a place with cell coverage. That's not a given in the two places you're asking about...especially the Skyway (last time I was there at least).

(Just one example...there's probably more)
Stay Safe While Riding Alone App

· Registered
360 Posts
If I remember correctly at either end of the Dragon are Tourist traps/stores . There you could probably find others to ride with. As mentioned its not really a problem if you ride at your skill level and pay attention. I prefer Tuesday-Thursday if I have that option. Also there are plenty of other great roads in that area , they just aren't commercialized by local business.

· Registered
115 Posts
Week days are the best. Sports cars, crotch rockets, and wannabes are out on the weekends.

· Registered
2008 Dark Red
487 Posts
Yes, you can probably find other people to ride with, but you don't know how they ride and they don't know how you ride. How much fun would it be if you're not comfortable with strangers? Ride by yourself and enjoy the ride and scenery. Talk with people when you stop.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts