GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... we really enjoyed the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire (34 miles)... the Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles) ... and Skyline Drive (102 miles). I'd call them all beautiful ... but the "Kank" is short. How does the Cherohala Skyway compare ???

I loved the rains (yes, even that) and fog of the "Kank" ... the desolation was nice ... just over too quickly.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is my favorite ... 26 tunnels (I love those) ... lots of bridges ... the viaduct ... the hills and the valleys.

Skyline Drive is beautiful but less exciting than the Blue Ridge Parkway ... more sedate ... sort of a warm-up for the Parkway.

How does the Cherohala Skyway compare ... we haven't been there yet ... :shrug:

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Cherohala Is kind of like the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's about 60 miles long and follows the ridge tops in that area. if you add a few days you can add a number of the other roads to get a true feeling of the Tenn / NC area.

From Knoxville you could do the foothills Parkway, the Dragon, The Hellbender (2), and the Cherohala and have time left over. Mosey on down through GA and put 300 miles on and not even breath hard (or ride hard).

Charlie Morse
land Elephant

·
Registered
239 Posts
OK ... we really enjoyed the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire (34 miles)... the Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles) ... and Skyline Drive (102 miles). I'd call them all beautiful ... but the "Kank" is short. How does the Cherohala Skyway compare ???

I loved the rains (yes, even that) and fog of the "Kank" ... the desolation was nice ... just over too quickly.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is my favorite ... 26 tunnels (I love those) ... lots of bridges ... the viaduct ... the hills and the valleys.

Skyline Drive is beautiful but less exciting than the Blue Ridge Parkway ... more sedate ... sort of a warm-up for the Parkway.

Cherohala Skyway is WORTH the time spent getting there.
you can ride the many roads in the area for weeks and never tire of the scenery or the twisty roads. Ideal is the word that comes to mind.
Caution, you will be spoiled for life after riding the Smokies...

RJ

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ... we found some nice roads last year down there ... after visiting the Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley we followed 209 to Hot Springs ... great road when you're not meeting a tri-axle dump truck !!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

I’ve ridden the Cherohala many times and it is a very well kept road, but most of the time I was not on sightseeing ride... (Good Twisties)... :thumbup::thumbup:

The few times I road it slow as it should be done, I found it is not as good of a sightseeing skyway at all as the BRP & SLD, at each pull out (overlook) you couldn’t see very much because the tree huggers make it impossible for the keepers of the park to cut the trees out of your field of vision...:shrug::shrug::shrug:

It could be a much better sightseeing ride like the BRP and SLD if someone would go up there with a chain saw and open up some of or all of the overlooks... I’m sure the view would be very beautiful... :bow::bow:

All that being said, it still is a good ride and well worth doing at lease once... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Cherohala is one of my favorite afternoon rides. Close to home and fun twisties without heavy traffic (most of the time).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts