GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towards the middle of the Skyway there were telephone poles about 40' high. One on each side of the road. Each had cross arms at the top pointing at each other. What are these? It was like a device used to locate the road from the air if there was 35' of snow on the ground.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Could these be used as markers for planes overhead to check for speeders?
I noticed some painted lines on the Skyway I suspected were used for that purpose.
When you ride under/over the first marker the observer in the plane starts his stopwatch. When you hit the second marker he turns off the stopwatch and checks his chart to see how fast you were going, radios the chase vehicle and you know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I don't even want to think about how much money went into the study for the posts let alone the engineering, construction and maintenance. Let's not get into training the squirrels to use the darn things....:eek:4:

Seems like the transmitter would make them drop like a stone about halfway across the road, rendering the posts useless.....

ARGH!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Did you notice the word SLOW painted on the road. It markes the curve that causes the most wrecks. No I did not sign my name there, it was somebody else.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
i read that bike riders painted that, not the ncdot

You are correct sir......at least one rider I know of has lost his life on that curve.....you guys be careful......it's a nastly decreasing radius curve......one of two at least on that road that are widowmakers.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
If you ride the within the speed limit, you won't have any problems with any of the curves, and it's still fun riding at the speed limit on the Skyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts