GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cherynobil on a motorcycle. Very interesting site.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

I've spent time in the USSR when it was the USSR and I can attest to the validity of the pics and descriptions in the site.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd seen it before, but I see she has updated with more pics. Interesting read and shows what will be if we mishandle this resposibility

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Yes, that site has been around for a few years but she does update it. I check it out every once in a while. It is very eerie - but interesting.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
flanga said:
the photos are real and sobering, but the story about her riding her bike through the area is BS.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/webl ... ents/1026/

She took a standard tour though the area. Anyone can take the tour.
Too bad about that website. It has a stupid ad covering up the left portion of the page. I refuse to click on any ads, as who knows where it'll take you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I studied this site with all of the side links and other stories the writer had available. Very interesting reading and no problems.

I worked with a person who's family was in the USSR area when Chernobal popped. This family has suffered lose of members due to cancer and radiation. This was like two years ago in 2004.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
flanga said:
the photos are real and sobering, but the story about her riding her bike through the area is BS.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/webl ... ents/1026/

She took a standard tour though the area. Anyone can take the tour.
I don't see anything about Elena "defending herself" at the link given. But it doesn't matter to me anyway. Her site it pretty darn good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A simple copy-all and paste and you can see the rest of the tale. :wink:

A month or two ago a woman named Elena posted a travelogue on the web about her solitary motorcycle ride through the deserted area around Chernobyl. With all the eerie pictures she took of the abandoned, irradiated 'ghost town,' her travelogue quickly became one of the most linked-to sites on the net. Now there are accusations that her travelogue wasn't completely honest. Apparently she didn't go around alone on a motorcycle. She went in a car with her husband and a friend. Elena defends herself, admitting that much of her story was 'more poetry' than reality, but noting that most of it was still reality. I'm inclined to side with her. The pictures of Chernobyl, and what it's become, were real. How much does it really matter that she made them more interesting by wrapping them in a tale about a solitary motorcycle ride? (via JohnFord.net)

It is a very interesting site. :cry:

And to be terribly non-pc Merry Christmas :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
No offense intended especially to you indymike. HOWEVER, when someone misrepresents themselves in a story like this whereby they are in esssence lying about the adventure, it makes me wonder how much of the story is real. The comments she made now hold zero value to me and the story boils down to some pictures that may or may not be real. As is the rest of the story. Shams just make me angry.

FF

Merry Xmass to all you too :oops:

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Well, it was obvious to me she wasn't by herself. Who took the pictures of her? It's been a while but I remember seeing a couple bikes in her pictures - could be the pics even back then weren't all from the same trip. I liked the way she put it all together.

May the peace and love of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ be with you all this Holiday season. (There - I said "Holiday" not the other word!) :wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heh

Yeah I heard the misrepresentation thing, but the Cherynobil stuff if obviously accurate. Who cares if she wanted to look like a daring solo girl rider.

People who lived under communism are ALWAYS looking for an opportunity to distinguish themselves in a society that minimizes individual accomplishment.

If you've ever worked with a soviet, you understand.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I really enjoyed it from a historical perspective; thank you for the link DangerDave. Who knows the real story but it is enlightening to see what is presented and hear a little of what life under the Soviets was like. Not a fun place from the looks of it!
Claudia
www.itchyhitch.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
When Elena's original Chernobyl page was up, three or four years ago, it was in her own Russian-flavored English, and hence a lot more interesting to read. The added photos on the new site, though, really make it worth a visit. She has some other interesting stuff on this site - just follow different links on the main page.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts