GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left Bastrop Tx at a little past 8:00am and made it to Lebanon Mo.
Was going to keep going but weather radar sowed some colorful stuff right in my path!

Three fill ups so far. Mileage has ranged from 41.11 to 41.98 mpg. Not to shabby puling a Tailwind at 75 mph!

·
Registered
924 Posts
good on you...just go after that weather bud...you won't have any memories if there aren't some kinda mishaps ;) Jer

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Should be great ride the rest of way. Weather here near perfect today. Maybe I will see you go by. My shop is right off I 55 at exit 145.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
That is phenomenal gas mileage considering the trailer.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yes, I read on this forum the TailWinds are state of the art.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But why? lol I've never lost anything in the windy city worth going after.

JS
Didn't lose a thing. I'm delivering a Tailwind to one of Toms customers and hopefully going to have time to visit a cousin while in the area.

That is phenomenal gas mileage considering the trailer.

.The Tailwind doesn't have much of an effect on mileage, but 75-80 mph usually does. Maybe the winter blend fuel is finally used up. The bike really likes good fuel!
I guess we'll see how she does without anything in tow on the way back to Texas. It's going to be strange though. I'm not used to riding the Wing with no trailer.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Saturday at 7:00 AM it will be kickstand up McKinney, TX to Spruce, MI then to Marquette, MI.
Going to cross the big Bridge next Wednesday.
Then back by Saturday

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Didn't lose a thing. I'm delivering a Tailwind to one of Toms customers and hopefully going to have time to visit a cousin while in the area.

.The Tailwind doesn't have much of an effect on mileage, but 75-80 mph usually does. Maybe the winter blend fuel is finally used up. The bike really likes good fuel!
I guess we'll see how she does without anything in tow on the way back to Texas. It's going to be strange though. I'm not used to riding the Wing with no trailer.
The tailwind trailer might not affect it much but I'm guessing the 40+ MPH wind out of the south that we've been having the last few days is creating an actual tailwind that is helping you a lot.

You picked a good time to ride north. Hopefully the winds will die down a bit as you head home.

Regardless...have a great ride and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You should have good weather up here until Sunday. Then it should get kind of iffy and Monday will be back to normal. Funny part is youre coming up to deliver for Tom while most of us weekend cant wait to get away from this town.

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
I rode thru Chicago a couple weeks ago during rush hour in the rain, everything went pretty well but I sure was wishing it wasn't raining.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Just stay out of Chicago Heights. Drove into a gun battle there 3 years ago.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Chicago Heights AKA Ford Heights is a pretty bad place to be. At one point they had no police and no garbage pickup. If you have to go through there go early morning before the gangbangers wake up. If you go in the afternoon youll be sorry.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Chicago Heights AKA Ford Heights is a pretty bad place to be. At one point they had no police and no garbage pickup. If you have to go through there go early morning before the gangbangers wake up. If you go in the afternoon youll be sorry.
But,...But...It's a gun free zone. What's the worry?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The tailwind trailer might not affect it much but I'm guessing the 40+ MPH wind out of the south that we've been having the last few days is creating an actual tailwind that is helping you a lot.

You picked a good time to ride north. Hopefully the winds will die down a bit as you head home.

Regardless...have a great ride and stay safe.
I considered that it might have been the wind at my back, but the good mileage continued when I started heading east. The last fill up I got over 42.
I'm on my way back to Texas now. There doesn't seem to be much of a head wind. I'll see how it does on the way home.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot all about reporting back on this thread.
I got the Tailwind delivered to a guy with a beautiful illusion blue 2013 Trike. That was about 15 miles from the Wisconsin border. From there, I made a trip to visit a cousin in a suburb of Chicago.
The return trip was pretty uneventful.
Gas mileage was about the same without the trailer in tow except for one leg of the trip where I was fighting some nasty headwinds. Mileage dropped to 36. I still averaged almost 41mpg for the whole trip. I can't complain!

·
Administrator
3,575 Posts
I forgot all about reporting back on this thread.
I got the Tailwind delivered to a guy with a beautiful illusion blue 2013 Trike. That was about 15 miles from the Wisconsin border. From there, I made a trip to visit a cousin in a suburb of Chicago.
The return trip was pretty uneventful.
Gas mileage was about the same without the trailer in tow except for one leg of the trip where I was fighting some nasty headwinds. Mileage dropped to 36. I still averaged almost 41mpg for the whole trip. I can't complain!
Jerry, glad to see you made it back. Your comment about not being used to riding without the Tailwind made me remember something from a couple of years back. Tom had sent out a note about needing a trailer delivered, and I thought about delivering the trailer. It would be nice to have somebody pay me money for riding my bike and seeing new country, and after I delivered the trailer I could then start a western vacation. It sounded good until I realized that I would not have my Tailwind, so could not bring all the things to which I've become accustomed.

Other than that, I think delivering trailers would be fun!

Glen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts