GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You mean right now?

In the summer, it is a most-magnificent road. Beautiful scenery, sweepers, twisties as you climb Dead Indian Pass. Does not last long enough, but a road not to miss. I will be riding it (hopefully both directions) in early August.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You mean right now?

In the summer, it is a most-magnificent road. Beautiful scenery, sweepers, twisties as you climb Dead Indian Pass. Does not last long enough, but a road not to miss. I will be riding it (hopefully both directions) in early August.
You have a cool road there just out side of Loveland called Devils Gulch. 2 of the most awesome corners...ever!!!!:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chief Joesph Hwy

Thanks, I should have been more specific on the time frame. We are hoping to be out there in late August to early September. I was planning on doing the Beartooth only and a friend that lives in Red Lodge told me about this one. Thanks for the photo. So many great roads and still not retired. :cry:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Chief Joseph

The picture to the left was taken on a hairpin turn on Chief Joseph.
This is one great road with some awesome views. Then you can ride the Bears Tooth pass another great ride. Cody Wy is a fantastic town to make it your base. East of Cody is Greybull and Bighorn National Forest another wonderful road over the mountains. Stop in Shell Wy., population 50, for a cold beer at the Antler Inn. Don't forget the Tetons and Yellowstone. I love traveling in Wyoming!!!
LDM

PS I'll be back there again this summer. That makes 3 times in 5 years. It's worth the ride from Ohio.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I'll be in the "area" this July, and proposed to the wife that we ride the Bear Tooth. She will probably pass but I'm hoping my daughter will go for the ride instead. The Chief Joseph Hwy. is on my bucket list.
I'm so stoked about riding somewhere away and out of the "flat lands"! :cool::excited:
Steve F

·
Registered
220 Posts
They are going to chip coat Chef Josh. hwy this summer but don' know when they are going to start prob. the first of June though...so be carefull..

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
They are going to chip coat Chef Josh. hwy this summer but don' know when they are going to start prob. the first of June though...so be carefull..
Oh, crap! That figures.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Have ridden Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth 4 times all in July. All rides started fron Red Lodge. No problems at all. If you are going to ride Chief Joseph do your self a favor and ride both of them. It is an easy 1 day ride. Good luck and enjoy the ride. larry

·
Registered
220 Posts
The highway is aright now except for the tar snakes on the west side going down. They are going to start chip coating the road soon but I don't know exatley when they are going to start.. I know that sucks but I will post when they start so you all can plan around it...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just checked wyo dot. and chief joe is not on the construction list I guess they changed there minds about the chip coat this year.... I will try to keep you all updated...

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I just checked wyo dot. and chief joe is not on the construction list I guess they changed there minds about the chip coat this year.... I will try to keep you all updated...
Do you have any info on the Bear Tooth? Like I said before, we'll be there in 2nd week of July, and those two roads are on my "bucket list". I hope they're in good shape for a fun ride.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just road the beartooth yesterday the road is good all the way through the first time with no ative road construction in 4 years for me.. the chief joesph still has a lot of tar snakes on it but is all right and I guess they called off the chip coating that is a good thing... Lots of snow at the top of beartooth and cold....

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
When traveling the Beartooth in July, how low do the temps get during the day??? What are the normals?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Just rode the Chief Joe the other day, and it was less that enjoyale....the tar snakes are UNBELIEVALBE! I'd almost rather ride in snow. If it doesn't bother you then go for it....otherwise, plan on doing something else for the day.
On the other hand, the BEARTOOTH was a blast! Enjoyed every mile and then some!
Steve F

·
Registered
416 Posts
Fun road to ride but watch out for cows on the road. Open range area and we ran up on cows several times that were walking/standing right in the middle of the road.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
So what are the plans for both of these roads this year as far as construction goes? We are planning on being there in mid june. Any concerns?
What about the road to the sun? I know nothing about this road.

·
Registered
220 Posts
they chipped it last fall so I would say it is good to go now... meaning it the spring now it has a lot of snow and ice on it:eek:4:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here are some cattle I found on the road when I came out of a curve. Of course by the time I stopped to take a picture they walked off. Wouldn't want to meet them at night. Great road, seal coat was fine. I came through around the middle of September. Beartooth was fantastic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts