GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did 296 and 212 today (Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass). Fantastic ride, only 1 mile of road construction early on the south side of 212, not a long wait.

unfortunately they have laid down a Bunch of Tar Snakes on the north side (the very twisty side) of the Dead Indian Pass. They are navigable but just take it slower than you really want to.

The Beartooth Highway is just fantastic. all the construction over the past few years has that beautiful road smooth as glass and traffic flowing.

All the mountains surrounding the area are solid snow covered, and the drifts on the pass road are at least 20 feet even today. Temp only got down to 52 with little wind.

Return trip to Cody we caught a little rain.

All in all another fantastic run of the BTP (my 7th) and I'll try to do it a couple of times a year as long as I can.

Probably the best piece of asphalt in the country. !!!

I met TJ Ranch at Dead Indian Pass rest stop! As I pulled up he came over and said "Hey are you Dr.Jim??" Guess he recognized my bike from the videos. Great Guy. Enjoyed meeting you sir.

Rode with Jimmy Chance from Savannah GA and his family. We did the Big Horns yesterday, and into Yellowstone tomorrow.

Weather calls for 40% rain, but morning riding is cool and clear and stunning. Getting some great video with my new Contour+.

Yall come.....

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
The biggest elevation change by me is a highway overpass! :wrong:

It is on my bucketlist to visit those places at some point...thanks for posting the report and pictures :yes1:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Is that the bighorn sign behind you? I'm glad you had a safe ride!!! keep the pics comming.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I met TJ Ranch at Dead Indian Pass rest stop! As I pulled up he came over and said "Hey are you Dr.Jim??" Guess he recognized my bike from the videos. Great Guy. Enjoyed meeting you sir.
dang......now we gotta hear this at the lunch runs in the fall!!:joke::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We've been out there many times.
Did it 2 years ago and now planning on going out again next summer.
Always stay at Cody and ride out from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I rode the BTP on Monday July 4th. This is the latest I have ever seen this much snow up there. The plants that are uncovered are just starting to bud out.
Brad

·
Registered
86 Posts
just there, Beartooth pass June 12th the day after they opeed it up, they ended up closing it again Sunday night but opened it back up late Monday afternoon. Took Chief Joseph back to Red Lodge.
Great trip

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I want to see the video of Chief Joseph. Rode it in a hurry a couple of years ago when there was a forest fire nearby. Lots of smoke and ash in the air. Plan to go back in a year or two.

Looks like you back is good now, Dr. Jim.

·
Registered
584 Posts
here are a few pics from last saturday a week ago when i was up there, rain, sleet, snow all in one pass

saw this and kept heading towrds it LOL

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of snow for now. It is amazing the snow this past winter in the Rockies (at least north of central Colorado). I love that ride and sure wish I could do it again this year. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
man, I really want to do those rides. I was trying to figure out how to do them on the way back from RG11, but it was just too far to go in the time I have. Maybe next year. In the meantime, I sure enjoy seeing everyone's photos, etc. Don't stop!

·
Registered
396 Posts
man, I really want to do those rides. I was trying to figure out how to do them on the way back from RG11, but it was just too far to go in the time I have. Maybe next year. In the meantime, I sure enjoy seeing everyone's photos, etc. Don't stop!

You are forgetting the number one rule, 1 it's not the destination, its the journey. There may not be a next year.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My wife and I rode Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph in mid-June this year, the first week after Beartooth opened for the season. As everyone has stated, both are spectacular rides and we changed our route around to enable a second ride in the opposite direction on Chief Joseph.

<snip>unfortunately they have laid down a Bunch of Tar Snakes on the north side (the very twisty side) of the Dead Indian Pass. They are navigable but just take it slower than you really want to.<snip>
I know what you are saying about the tar snakes around Dead Indian Pass. With the volume of them, I deliberately ran one running parallel to the road to check their effect on the bike and got an immediate puckered feeling. I would expect them to be slick on a hot day or when wet but they should have been rather benign under dry and moderate temperatures, but they were far from that. I don’t know if there are different types of tar used for this but they were some of the worst I’ve ridden on. As it was not possible to avoid them all, we definitely slowed it down until they disappeared after crossing Dead Indian.

Great roads – what motorcycles were made for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dr. Jim, those guys standing next to you look like Georgia Crackers!

I'm just jealous and wish Christy and I were there. Maybe next year. Be safe!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dr. Jim, seems you are having a great trip. Dead Indian Pass overlook must be a good place for meeting Georgia wingers. While there Jun 13 I met Dale Daniels and his wife from Georgia. I would like to think the tar snakes will flatten out in the summer sun but they were sure unnerving while leaning into those sharp curves. Sorry I missed BTP, apparently opened it later in the afternoon after I was there. You and Patricia have a safe trip. I look forward to seeing your videos.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Dr Jim.

Please include an excessive amount of screen time of Pat in your Video.

Thank You,

Bob

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The weather up there was 55 degrees and beautiful today and lots of Wingers from Virginia were out and about. Glad me and the missus were able to ride on it. Just when you thought it couldnt get better the next turn is even moreso.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts