GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year the City of Chattanooga decided to save money and use a road repair process known as "chip sealing". The process is basically to spray asplaht and then small aggregate and seal with more asphalt. Its an old style of road reapir. It created a fire storm here in Chattanooga because it was done wrong and on highly traveled roads. (Chip Sealing a road a judge lives on is probaly not good for your career in the Public Works Department).
The contractor and the city did the job poorly and on the road near my house they botched it so bad they took down their signs and left. Along came my wife on her trike and bingo! Screwed up paint job from loose and flying gravel. So we just got the paperwork from the city to have it reapaired by their insurance carrier. The paint chipping was quite extensive but it will be repaired in a few weeks but a great guy we know who paints only motorcycles.

If your town, city, county, or state wants to use chip seal...throw a fit. Its not a motorcycle friendly process. Its like riding on old country roads with a lot of gravel and a little tar.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Chip-seal is not anything friendly. Years ago I went down a chip-sealed road and my own "rooster tail" of rocks, even though I was going slow, and the spray from others sand blasted my black Z-28. More than once I've turned on a chip-seal road only to turn around and find another way.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Northern VA started using that crap for potholes. It lasts maybe 2 months in the summer and then just gets all pushed out of the hole leaving a messy tarhole. No way that crap is cheaper than using the appropriate grade asphault to patch the road. :cry:

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I grew up in West Texas and every summer the city would lay down a fresh layer of tar or hot oil and gravel. Pissed me off every year. It is one of the reasons I got the Hell out.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
They've been doing this in Pennsylvania for as long as there have been roads. We call it "Tar & Chip". I'm not wild about it but you adjust your speed and live with it. It's better than all the potholes.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Here in western PA it is standard procedure. They publish a list of when roads are to be turned back to gravel. We just avoid those roads for a week or so. It does damage the paint. I guess using our cars to roll in the gravel is cheaper than using a roller.:eek:4: Might be one of the reasons there is a body shop on every corner.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
:agree:
Here in western PA it is standard procedure. They publish a list of when roads are to be turned back to gravel. We just avoid those roads for a week or so. It does damage the paint. I guess using our cars to roll in the gravel is cheaper than using a roller.:eek:4: Might be one of the reasons there is a body shop on every corner.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Wow! Two fellow Pennsylvanians chimed in! Yep..tar & chipped roads in the summer is about as common as the Pirates losing! :shock:

By the way yinz guys...I lived in the Canonsburg area my whole life until last year. I really miss "Da Burgh". Haven't had a real Hoagie since I got out here.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Wow! Two fellow Pennsylvanians chimed in! Yep..tar & chipped roads in the summer is about as common as the Pirates losing! :shock:

By the way yinz guys...I lived in the Canonsburg area my whole life until last year. I really miss "Da Burgh". Haven't had a real Hoagie since I got out here.
How could you leave Primanti Brothers?

I found a nice covered bridge tour while lost last week and after crossing one there was a sign that said "pavement ends in 500 feet". After passing the sign I felt that I was right back in western PA. The only thing worse that tar and chip, is tar, chip, and a string of orange barrels:lol:

·
Registered
208 Posts
We live with chip and seal in Indiana every year also. Been going on for years. In our county they seem to divide the county into quarters and concentrate on one quarter a year. Lucky us, got it last year. Three roads around my home and two of them are county roads that got the treatment. It is VERY dangerous for a couple of weeks for bikers, and windshields on all vehicles. Then the loose stuff lines the intersections and shoulders and stays there all summer. Got to stay alert, worst than deer!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If it really bothers you think twice before going to Alaska. That was the norm for Canadian road repair and we rode through a lot of it. Except they did not use asphalt . They laid down loose deep gravel, let the cars and the occasional GoldWing pack it down and then they sprayed it with some type of sealer that contains calcium chloride which ruins the shine on your wheels.

PS GoldWings sink really deep in newly laid gravel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Chip sealing has become very popular in Texas too. Besides the other problems, I think it's hard on m/c tires and causes premature wear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
They used to chip-seal the roads here in Santa Barbara until they did it downtown, near the courthouse. The lawyers didn't like getting dust on their expensive foreign cars and sued the city over chipped paint, and won.

Kinda brings up a whole other problem I guess!:shrug:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Back in the 80s when I lived in Phoenix I saw them chip seal a major road but what it appeared they did was mix the gravel and sealer together and lay it out on the road - like a big, black rice crispy treat. I never saw anything like it. This was before I started riding, 1988-1990 era. A guy was on the road next me on a motorcycle an the gravel was sticking to his tires and shoes... and he was cussing a blue streak. I didn't blame him either. It was sticking to the cars and was ridiculous.

Here, they put a layer of sealer down followed by a thin layer of gravel. There are definitely some loose rocks for a while but it quickly becomes part of the road - you just learn to avoid the recently chip sealed roads for a few days.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If it really bothers you think twice before going to Alaska. That was the norm for Canadian road repair and we rode through a lot of it. Except they did not use asphalt . They laid down loose deep gravel, let the cars and the occasional GoldWing pack it down and then they sprayed it with some type of sealer that contains calcium chloride which ruins the shine on your wheels.

PS GoldWings sink really deep in newly laid gravel.
British Columbia was the first time I ever saw a road that was covered with marbles. About 10 miles of that, and I could taste Naugahyde for two weeks. You would need a crowbar to bend my hair. NOT on the Do Again list.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
What a great feeling...our taxes at work (NOT). Guess it is cheaper for the state (so they say) to fix it 'wrong' 10 times than to fix it right once.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
What a great feeling...our taxes at work (NOT). Guess it is cheaper for the state (so they say) to fix it 'wrong' 10 times than to fix it right once.

You have to wonder don't you? I think it may cost more in the long run, but bureaucrats tend to look at their budget one year at a time. It cost half as much and I'll have to do it again in a few years, but that's next years money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts