GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine just bought a 2012 and went to get spare keys made. He's being told it is a chipped key. I know my 2008 key is not chipped. Anyone know if the 2012 is or isn't?

OldWing

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
A buddy of mine just bought a 2012 and went to get spare keys made. He's being told it is a chipped key. I know my 2008 key is not chipped. Anyone know if the 2012 is or isn't?

OldWing
The owner's manual doesn't say, but it says to keep your key code(and spare in a safe place). The key doesn't appear to have a chip in it.

It says that if you lose your keys, and the keycode, the dealership might have to remove your ignition to get the keycode.

I guess that's a long-winded answer of 'I don't think so'. The key doesn't look much different than those for the 06 model. Just a different looking logo.:shrug:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Key

I did the whole fuel door/key thing, and was told by the locksmith that it was a chipped key.
Assume it is.
bbc

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it was transponder equipped, the dealer and literature should inform you of the fact. I don't think Honda is going to spend the money to equip the bike with transponders.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If it was transponder equipped, the dealer and literature should inform you of the fact. I don't think Honda is going to spend the money to equip the bike with transponders.
My 06 was chipped. (Australian Market). That is why we could not use the chrome ignition key surround. It shields the transponder.

You may just be getting the standard ignition with transponders. if you have it there is a black block around the ign barrel under the key surround. It has wiring from the computer plugged into it.

Trev.

·
Registered
219 Posts
key

Usually if there's a transponder there is a mark on the key on automotive keys, but i will find out and get back to you tomorrow.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It is not a chipped key, I have also done the glove box and fuel door thing. I also put the stock keys up and using keys made at Lowe's. The factory keys are a bit large and the smaller key head works for me..:yes1:

Smitty

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

OldWing
Sounds to me like someone is trying to hose your buddy for a $100 key.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
When ordering a key at Home Depot or (the other one):

Ask for the Access code number 27 with no R.

The R version gets you one that will work on locks but not ignition.

They look the same, but the grooves down the side of the R version are shorter not allowing that key to go down in the ignition far enough.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
2012 USA Model is not chipped

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The European models use to be the only models with HISS which required the chipped keys. The HISS was part of the ECU.

None of the USA models had that system and therefore no chipped keys.
2012 USA Model is not chipped

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The Honda key that we use (US), has a compartment for a chip, but we do NOT have that feature HISS.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The European models use to be the only models with HISS which required the chipped keys. The HISS was part of the ECU.

None of the USA models had that system and therefore no chipped keys.
Yes thats right here in the UK get HISS but 7 out of my 8 gl1800 i have imported, we don't get the park and find button! I love having fun with that outside cafe's etc when some little touching person rolls up and just as they reach out to press the radio or gps button or something you fire the ride and find button! They soon jump back lol

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
When I had to get a key made for my 2010 earlier this year, I was told that it had a chipped key also. The locksmiths documentation was wrong for mine and is most likely the same error that shows yours to be chipped. The locksmith cut a key by code and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
When they tell you it is a chipped key it is because they are looking at the Honda Auto key guide, had to enlighten several Home Depot guys about the same thing....

·
Registered
453 Posts
When ordering a key at Home Depot or (the other one):

Ask for the Access code number 27 with no R.

The R version gets you one that will work on locks but not ignition.

They look the same, but the grooves down the side of the R version are shorter not allowing that key to go down in the ignition far enough.
Went to Walmart. Lowes, and Home Depo. They all have the 27R only. Went ahead and bought it anyway for $1.97 and works in everythin BUT the ignition, just as mentioned.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Keys

Went to Walmart. Lowes, and Home Depo. They all have the 27R only. Went ahead and bought it anyway for $1.97 and works in everythin BUT the ignition, just as mentioned.
I had a key made at Lowes and works fine in the gas door and glove box but does not work in the ignition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts