GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on making the plunge in to Wingdom in the next few days. I'm coming off a Triumph Rocket 3 Tour and I am trying to decide between a new 2016 audio comfort at 16,500 or a 2018 tour DCT for 23,000. I've ridden big heavy bikes for years and don't mind the weight but I do like the DCT option. My concern is all the little issues I'm reading about on the 2018 model. The problems with saddle bag latches, the Gps unit and seat discomfort are just a few. Do the older units have these kind of issues too. I'm new to this site so Id appreciate your input. I was thinking of maybe going with the older unit and then maybe in two or three years when the bugs are worked out jumping then to the new model. Id appreciate your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Like I did, bought 2018 DCT, rode 10,000 miles, found I really like it! Don't worry about little issues, it's the joy of riding the best touring machine without a worry...

·
Registered
301 Posts
My concern is all the little issues I'm reading about on the 2018 model. The problems with saddle bag latches, the Gps unit and seat discomfort are just a few.
10,000 miles on mine and I don't have any issues. Big or little.

Silicone spray on all hinges as normal PM and I've never had one cover stick

GPS? Depends how you use it. On the rare occasions that I've used it to get through unfamiliar cities it's worked perfectly.

Seat discomfort? Personal architecture always determines seat comfort; not the bike's problem.

I can empathize with your trepidation moving from one manufacturer to another; particularly to an expen$ive bike. But weigh carefully the proportion of completely satisfied owners to the fraction of the...more noisy ones....:wink2:

Test ride one. Rent one. See if it fits your mission profile and expectations. Rely upon your own common sense counsel in making your purchase decision.

After all, most of us are liars...:grin2:

Good luck with your due diligence.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Shop around. I have seen 2018 bikes for less.

I was thinking hard on the 2018 but came across a deal on a 2015 and couldn't say no. At that time all dealers were holding MSRP for the 2018 so price was my deciding factor. The difference allowed me to do various safety and comfort upgrades with some cash left in my pocket. But with some leftover 2018s around, there are deals to be had.

I saw a Rocket tour the other day. Nice looking bike. The guy who had said it felt top heavy or maybe just heavy as he was shopping for a ST1300 although he asked me a lot of questions about the wing. Wasn't you was it?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I bought the 2018 DCT sight unseen! When it arrived, I saw it, loved it, bought it & rode it home! I never looked back . . . It’s light years ahead of the previous generation Goldwing!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did do like that Rocket 3 tour?
It has been an awesome bike. I love the looks and the 160lbs. of torque. My wife though has a brain disease and if she is going to keep on riding with me I'm going to have to make her feel more secure. The aftermarket offers almost nothing for this bike which means I have to be very creative and I'm not that great at those things anymore. All I want to do is buy a kit bolt is on and ride.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>:)
10,000 miles on mine and I don't have any issues. Big or little.

Silicone spray on all hinges as normal PM and I've never had one cover stick

GPS? Depends how you use it. On the rare occasions that I've used it to get through unfamiliar cities it's worked perfectly.

Seat discomfort? Personal architecture always determines seat comfort; not the bike's problem.

I can empathize with your trepidation moving from one manufacturer to another; particularly to an expen$ive bike. But weigh carefully the proportion of completely satisfied owners to the fraction of the...more noisy ones....:wink2:

Test ride one. Rent one. See if it fits your mission profile and expectations. Rely upon your own common sense counsel in making your purchase decision.

After all, most of us are liars...:grin2:

Good luck with your due diligence.

Good advice, thank you. One thing for sure I am not at all interested in those noisy ones>:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum.

Shop around. I have seen 2018 bikes for less.

I was thinking hard on the 2018 but came across a deal on a 2015 and couldn't say no. At that time all dealers were holding MSRP for the 2018 so price was my deciding factor. The difference allowed me to do various safety and comfort upgrades with some cash left in my pocket. But with some leftover 2018s around, there are deals to be had.

I saw a Rocket tour the other day. Nice looking bike. The guy who had said it felt top heavy or maybe just heavy as he was shopping for a ST1300 although he asked me a lot of questions about the wing. Wasn't you was it?
Wasn't me that you spoke to. and I've been shopping awhile on line and 22,500 is the lowest I've found for the DCT model.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
Planning on making the plunge in to Wingdom in the next few days. I'm coming off a Triumph Rocket 3 Tour and I am trying to decide between a new 2016 audio comfort at 16,500 or a 2018 tour DCT for 23,000. I've ridden big heavy bikes for years and don't mind the weight but I do like the DCT option. My concern is all the little issues I'm reading about on the 2018 model. The problems with saddle bag latches, the Gps unit and seat discomfort are just a few. Do the older units have these kind of issues too. I'm new to this site so Id appreciate your input. I was thinking of maybe going with the older unit and then maybe in two or three years when the bugs are worked out jumping then to the new model. Id appreciate your thoughts on this.
Yes ... the history of GoldWing is that Honda comes out with a new model, and as issues come up, they fix them. Then when a new generation comes out, GW owners make comments like "just when they got the last model perfected, they come out with something new."

Keep in mind that generation 5 was a 17yr run. In the car world, that is an incredibly long time. Since you are new to the GW world, and because I've heard that there are no new 5th gens remains that have ABS, I'd pass on that generation and move into a current model.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The ultimate decision is yours. However my thought is that your Wife may feel more secure on the previous model. If ABS is on your list of demands, as Greg said, those are about all gone as left over "new" inventory.
You did say you are fine with heavier bikes. So again it's your choice. Another advantage to a 2017 or older model would be letting Honda have a few years to refine the new models. As good as they are, there will be refinements made down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
IF I was to get another wing it would be a 2012-2017. I just like the larger bike with more storage. Just my preference.
Enjoy your wing. you will love it no matter the year.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
>:)

Good advice, thank you. One thing for sure I am not at all interested in those noisy ones>:)
If you're not at all interested in the comments of the noisy owners voicing concerns they may have, it appears you're just looking for affirmations of the 2018, Buy the 2018.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
It has been an awesome bike. I love the looks and the 160lbs. of torque. My wife though has a brain disease and if she is going to keep on riding with me I'm going to have to make her feel more secure. The aftermarket offers almost nothing for this bike which means I have to be very creative and I'm not that great at those things anymore. All I want to do is buy a kit bolt is on and ride.
First, I'm very sorry about your wife's health issues. Hopefully, the prognosis is good.

Lots of upgrades on the 2018/19 Wing make it a good choice for some.

However, the passenger seat on the new Goldwing is definitely not an upgrade. The consensus is that Honda dropped the ball on the design of the new passenger seat. Seat is not nearly as comfortable and passenger grab rails are useless.

Ask your wife to sit on the passenger seats of both models; let her tell you which one she likes better and then buy that one. She'll love you for it! :smile2:

Good luck with your choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts