GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, my new GL1800 Comfort/Nav/ABS is coming in tomorrow. :excited:I am sure someone can tell me how long the prep takes and what they check. Another thing is what should I look at/for before I leave the dealer with it?
TIA

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Make sure the check the fluid levels. Mine was low on coolant after I got it home. My VTX was low on all fluids except brake fluid (almost a quart on oil). Also make them pull the both side covers and both engine side covers (total of 4) and make sure no groumets that hold it on are missing. If not too late make sure all info that will be put on your title is correct. Make them give you a warranty booklet if they have any. Make sure they give you any freebies that go with purchase (caps, key fobs, etc.) I got key fobs, what appears to be an emergency kit with tools flashlight etc. (in addition to main toolkit) and a can of polish.

·
Registered
491 Posts
All of the above mentioned plus have the tire pressures checked and adjusted if needed.
Ride safely and congratulations!
Sincerely,
Alex

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
My advice is don't take the pre delivery checklist for granted. Some techs just check the boxes and bring it around. At the very least, insist on proper tire inflation, brief once over visually for defects, and do a light check before leaving the dealer. Ask very specific questions and even then check it over meticulously when you get home.

Intensive Check:

Paint and panel fitment
Lever/pedal adjustment and function
Tire pressures
Open and close all compartments check for proper closure
Detailed check for loose fasteners
Unobstructed steering radius lock to lock
Remote functions
Horn
Windshield height adjuster
Audio
Lights, blinkers, emer.flash, brake, etc.
Auxilary cable connected and routed thru left pocket
Owners manual and toolkit bungeed in left saddlebag
Confirm all fluid levels, some require cover removal
Easy on the brakes and throttle until you acclimate
Easy on the tires until their scuffed in 50-100 miles
Thats all I can think of for now.
Congrats and enjoy

·
Registered
592 Posts
This may sound like it should be there but, Check to make sure there is enough fuel in the tank to get to the nearest gas station....

Enjoy your new Ride !!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
My advice is don't take the pre delivery checklist for granted. Some techs just check the boxes and bring it around. At the very least, insist on proper tire inflation, brief once over visually for defects, and do a light check before leaving the dealer. Ask very specific questions and even then check it over meticulously when you get home.

Intensive Check:

Paint and panel fitment
Tire pressures
Remote functions
Horn
Audio
Congrats and enjoy
Good post!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Make sure they install the aux input wire in the left pocket. Not hard to do yourdelf, but let them do it.
:agree: This is part of the "Dealer Prep" that you pay for, but I don't think many dealerships do it.

Also, check temp tag. My dealership used car sized temp tags that would hit the rear fender and blemish it. I never did get that polished out on my '02. When I picked up my ’03 I tore the bottom half of the tag off.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Since you are there with them, let them show and assist you while putting it up on the center stand. Nice to have a person or two nearby the first few times to learn the "feel" of it! Scary alone first few times. Take extra care on smooth garage floors. Stand on stand until you feel both sides of the stand level before pulling. Best of luck and grads.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It takes several hours for them to un-crate it, put the wheels on and check everything out. If you have any extras for them to put on that takes time as well. I had them put on a bellypan, trunk rack, wind wings, 12v outlet in the left pocket, fog lights and spoiler. Took them all day.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Intensive Check:

Paint and panel fitment
Tire pressures
Remote functions
Horn
Audio
Congrats and enjoy
Verify reverse operation.
Verify that the NAV has the most current chart data and that you have the Owners Manual. It's also suggested that they provide you with the serial number of the GPS as you'll need it to unlock future map updates.
Verify that the XM works.
Verify that the panners and top box open easily, and lock with both the key and keyfob.
Verify that the radio works.
Verify that the audio does go to the rear connector and check for level and audio quality.
Make sure the rear view mirrors are adjusted to your satisfaction.
Engage the NAV function and put in your home address [do not label it as such] and verify that the GPS does track and give proper directions.
Have them show you how to check the oil and verify its level.
Have them silicon lube the gromets around the left and right access panels.
Make sure they've installed the antenna brace.
Verify the heated grips and seats.
Verify that the lower heat vents work smoothly.
Make sure you have a spare key and the key code.
Check rims for dirt and dings.
Check brakes.
Verify that the headlight control works smoothly and through its entire range.

Don't leave without getting your questions and requests answered and fixed. The salesman will want you out ASAP but be persistent.

If you have options installed make sure these work as you believe them to and get any questions answered.

Ride carefully for the first 100 miles to scuff the wax off the tires, allow you to seat the brakes, and get used to the bike.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It takes several hours for them to un-crate it, put the wheels on and check everything out. If you have any extras for them to put on that takes time as well. I had them put on a bellypan, trunk rack, wind wings, 12v outlet in the left pocket, fog lights and spoiler. Took them all day.
Put the wheels on????
The only items the dealer has to install on a new GL out of the box is the windscreen, mirrors, passenger backrest, initialize and charge the battery and install the auxiliary input in the left fairing pocket. That's it. Unfortunately many dealers do not check the tire pressures, oil levels and coolant level because they figure Honda did it at the factory. Also many dealers just add the electrolyte to the battery and never charge the battery. That right there means the battery will only get to about 80% of its full charge. It will never obtain its full 100% charge because it was never charged properly the first time it was put into service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts