GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of years ago I was on my way to buy a Goldwing 1100 Interstate without all the bells and whistles. I decided to inspect a clean BMW. That spawned a series of BMW's and two Kawasaki Concours.
Now the lust for a Goldwing has returned.

Have you chosen to ride a Goldwing because you ride two up? If you weren't riding with a passanger would you be riding something else?

I am just curious because I don't ride with a passanger.

:popcorn:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I rarely ride with a passenger. My wife doesn't have the passion to ride that I do so when she does come along it mostly a short (less than 100 miles) ride.

I sold my R1100RT after almost 11 years of riding simply because I wanted something a bit more comfy and new. The RT was not uncomfortable, but not the road sofa that the Wing is. And for sure, it is much better for a passenger than my BMW was.

I'm not really a betting man, but after keeping my last bike for over 10 years I am pretty sure that I will be keeping this one at least that long. Hopefully even longer. Much longer.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I would say 99% of my riding is solo. I have always dreamed of having a Goldwing since the early 80's. Took me till 2005 to finally get one. Won't buy another bike, well, I won't be without a Goldwing. I would buy another bike, all motorcycles can be fun. IMO though nothing beats a wing, it is king IMO.

·
Registered
297 Posts
cruisin

2 up is exactly why I bought the wing. I would have chosen a Valkyrie otherwise..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have heard guys . . . "lay the blame" . . . on their wifes:lol:

But . . . looking at some of them . . . sorta doubt they were being honest with others . . . or themselves.

Enjoy your soon to be new Wing.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I bought my first wing new in 83. I was single and living in Texas and riding a 1100 Kaw. Hot weather, long distance and sand in my face was making me think that I was getting tired of riding. Went into a Honda dealer for a faceshield and ended up trading on the spot. Started loving riding again. Have owned 5 wings and each time I looked at Harley and BMW but each time bought another wing. Not just for two up but for long distance comfort. I do a lot of 500+ mile days for work. Gotta get there and gotta get back so I can go again tomorrow. I get home less tired then when in my truck.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I too had a BMW R 1100RT and now have a GL1800. For handling I would say they are good competition for each other. Comfort, for me, is GL1800 hands down. For solo riding I would vote wing, for two up, need I even answer that one, wing for sure.
The 1800 kept the comfort of the 1500 yet gave it e sporty side too.

Just my opinion.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Two up, touring, comfort is one of the reason I choose a Wing.
The main reason has to do w/the trade offered by by a sarcastic Harley dealer for my Ultra on a new Ultra vs. a very nive offer for my Ultra along w/$4,000 off the MSRP of the Wing!
There will be no more Wing's for me, since they are now 100% imports.
Next time will have to make a choice between Harley and Victory, I guess.
Both full of imported parts but, at least the ones sold here are assembled here in the USA. (or is Harley importing from the India plant yet????)
If I were riding 1 up all the time, I would be on a Harley, most likely a Wide Glide w/personal accessories added.
Having answered your question, what you buy to ride must satisfy you.
What you want is the question you must answer.
Test ride your choices, then decide.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Gold Wing for Single Rider?

If I didn't have a passenger, I would probably trade the Wing in on an FJR1300AE with the automatic transmission and a wide custom seat. I have problems with my hands and just loved the semi-automatic shifting on the FJR. The power and handling were nice too.

I tried the R1200RT and didn't like the riding position, motor or anything else about it except the brakes--great brakes! The ST1300 feels just as heavy as a Wing so I would NOT choose that over the GL. The K1600 is just a German ST1300. Woop. The VFR1200 is just wrong on so many levels. H-D? Maybe a Road King or Road Glide but only after after about $5,000 worth of custom suspension and engine work, so probably not.

I do like the Concours and strangely enough, I have a demented crush on the idea of riding a Ducati Diavel with a matching trailer. :oops:

Does that help? Probably not.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i bought the wing for my wife. she's not thrilled with it. i would have been better off buying a 2010 conny or newer. on board storage is more than a wing and it won't need a 3000 dollar suspension. i've found i have a little more sport in my blood than the wing is giving me.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
2 up 95%+ of the time. I also enjoy the longer rides I do solo. Would I be on a Wing? Probably not, because I wouldn't have tried one. I can't say what I would be on. The FJR, Concours are the two that spark an interest, but I really never thought of it. I would need a "sitting up" bike, not sure either would fit the bill.

Happy Hunting and welcome to the Madd House.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a BMW K100rt. I took a spill on it and bought a 81 GL1100. I still have both those bikes and love them. Three years ago I had my pennies saved up and wanted to buy a new bike. I was looking at either a HD Ultra or a Wing. After doing a PRO/CON on each bike I decided that the best choice for touring and the best bang for my buck was the Wing. I have been smiling ever since.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I didn't know anyone made a bike as good, reliable, and comfortable as a Goldwing. I think I'll stick with what I've got, besides, the dog doesn't complain when she rides or the wife either!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Two up touring is the "only" reason I own a Goldwing.
There are much more comfortable bikes out there for a tall guy like me.
There are much better handling bikes out there for a motorcyclist like me.
There are much more interesting bikes out there for a Mechanic like me.
There are many more bikes with Up-to-date technology out there for an F.I. techie like me.
And there are plenty of bikes that will beat a Goldwing in all of those categories ten fold.
But none touch the Goldwing for passenger comfort and confidence.
The Goldwing is a "huge" concession for me in every way except for two up touring.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I Bought a 82 Interstate wrecked and fixed it up. I was buying parts from a guy and he said, once you have a wing you will always have a wing.
That is true for me, yes at first I got a wing because of Debbie, but she doesnt ride much anymore. But I just love the GL1800 wing. It is an amzing machine.
I have tried Valks. And had a FJ for a short while. I just missed the wing.
The Valk and the FJ are fantastic machines but I love my wing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I began riding with the intention of spending some quality time with my beautiful bride. I also enjoyed riding with one of my two daughters nestled in behind me. I had a VTX1800 Tourer and did quite a few long day rides in excess of 300 miles. Even after spending 700 dollars on a new Mustang seat which was very comfortable for me, I noticed my daughter walking a little bow legged at the end of the day. I could also hear the little grunts from my wife when I would ride over some nasty bumps and potholes. It didn't take me long to make the decision to upgrade to a motorcycle built around the passenger. Although I truly enjoy the time I spend with a loved one riding 2up, I still find the Goldwing to be the most amazing machine I have ever ridden without the extra weight and concern for the safety of a passenger. If for whatever reason my family decided to discontinue riding with me, the Goldwing would still be my scooter of choice. For me, it is a beautiful machine and near perfectly engineered.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Bought the wing for 2 up comfort, and it is very very good at that.
I have been pleasently suprised at how well it handles. I did change out springs to progressive, which helped stock suspension quite a bit.
Funny you should ask this question, I was just thinking the other day about what bike I would own, if I did not need one for 2 up.
The only one which peaks my intrest is the Kawi conny.
But after spending time with the wing, I don't think I would be happy with it for the long haul, (the conny).
I really think I would prefer to just keep my wing even for one up. I found out a long time ago, that I prefer touring on a bike, as opposed to just blasting around town. When I was leaning over the handle bars, feet on the back pegs, listening to the engine and the wind, dronning out the long miles, I would say to myself, " someday I am going to own a gold wing".
Someday is here.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I always wanted a comfortable bike and felt the Goldwing was the Cadillac of all bikes. It is a great two up bike and my wife enjoys riding immensely. I often hear folks wanting a bigger engine. Power and speed have never entered the equation for my purchase. The only thing that would could be better was if Honda and Honda dealers treated owners as if they were special.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i had an 83 suzuki madura 1200, bought new in 83. i put a set of leather bags across the seat, and the wife and i took off for the weekend, and loved it, until the weather turned chili, and wet!!!! so i said wow, we need a bike that has some space for jackets, smokes, gear, etc. so in 93, i bought me a brand new 93 wing. oh my god, the difference, in ride, space, carrying capacity, comfortability, power, it was unbelievable! so now, present tence, my 03, 1800, is the only bike for me regardless if i have a passenger or not! i can lay back, cruise, play my blues, light up a smoke, all while going down the road, in total comfort! love my wing! keep on winginit rick

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I only ride solo and love my Goldwing. I rode an ST-1300 9,200 miles last year before buying the Wing. I feel very good about that decision.

The ST was extremely fast and had outstanding brakes and couldbe ridden long distances but it was not half as comfortable as the GW.

To me the GW is perfect for my needs and riding style. I have no need to modify it and have no interest whatsoever in any other motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts