GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I am a new member to this site and have a question? Last year I purchased a recently triked (2010 CSC Cobra) 2003 GL 1800 with 28K miles. My first GW by the way. What a machine! Didn't know what I've been missing.

Moving on....A fellow triker talked me into trying a Mobile 1 synthetic during my last oil change. Prior to the change the previous owner had used a synthetic blend as have I until this last change. I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Anyway, after a few hundered miles on the new oil I started to notice a clacking noise (only way I know how to describe it) coming from under the bike in the engine area. No vibration or other issues that I can see. I don't think it's the valves because it is slower than engine RPM's and fades as speed increases. I have also noticed a harder shift from 1st to 2nd. No issues with jumping into neutral as described by some on the message boards.
Could changing to a synthetic oil cause a problem? Any suggestions on a preferred oil from the trike owners?

:confused:
Chopper

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ya know, that sort of sounds like the oil filter by-pass valve releasing.... You might have gotten a bad filter when you did that last oil change. I really don't think it is caused by the oil but not knowing exactly what you put in it's hard to say....

Not gonna start an oil brand/weight discussion here. You might toss another filter on there and see what happens. I don't know if you could feel the by-pass if you put you hand on the oil filter or not. :? :? :?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Howdy Chopper, and welcome. Congrats on your new ride. I have over the years jumped around from one oil to another and can't say that I have noticed any big changes in the bike. Like Jerry said, oil discussions are something else. LOL.

I might suggest that you post your question on the Tech Board here and see what responses you get as well. Lots of great information here and folks willing to help.

Post up a pic of your ride, it's what we do around here. Enjoy your trike and ride safe.:thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts