GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone get stopped in the checkpoint they had setup on the eastbound side of Ortega Hwy today west of Hell's Kitchen?

I was going westbound and they had a bunch of bikes pulled over going through everything on them. There was a mobile command post, flatbed tow trucks and about a dozen cops at least.

They had cones set up and were directing all bikes into the checkpoint. I decided I didn't want them to find something to get me for so I went all the way to OC and back on the 91 to Corona.

It's good that they are trying to get the speeding bikes to slow down but I think this kind of dragnet is a little overboard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree , Whats next , Must have papers to travel state to state :cop2:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
How did you learn of the 'checkpoint' without going through it? Do you know why the authorities were stopping and inspecting bikes or are you speculating that it was an indiscriminate 'dragnet"? How long was the 'checkpoint' in operation?

I ask only because the post raises questions itself, at least in my mind.

Did anyone get stopped in the checkpoint they had setup on the eastbound side of Ortega Hwy today west of Hell's Kitchen?

I was going westbound and they had a bunch of bikes pulled over going through everything on them. There was a mobile command post, flatbed tow trucks and about a dozen cops at least.

They had cones set up and were directing all bikes into the checkpoint. I decided I didn't want them to find something to get me for so I went all the way to OC and back on the 91 to Corona.

It's good that they are trying to get the speeding bikes to slow down but I think this kind of dragnet is a little overboard.

·
Registered
479 Posts

What were you afraid of? were you carrying any drugs or guns?
Of course if they found out out about your 5150 name they would probably want to take an extra close look at you :joke:

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Can't imagine why they would target motorcycles unless they were looking to write a lot of tickets for illegally loud pipes. They could write a couple thousand of those any weekend on Ortega Highway, unless they just wanted to spoil peoples 4th of July weekend. And, if they wanted to write loud pipe tickets, they could hang out at Hells Kitchen or Cooks Corner any weekend it don't rain and write all they want all day long.

There are a lot of motorcycle accidents on Ortega Highway, but it ain't because there's anything wrong with the bikes. The bikes are generally in good condition, unlike some of the people who ride them.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Forth of July weekend, celebrating, believe it or not some people on bikes drink or smoke during celebrating. Cars do to but some makes of bikes bring out the attitude,"What goes on at a bike gathering, stays at a bike gathering". Testosterone can cloud the mind into doing things they don't normally do. If they don't stop all bikes then it's profiling. Now that's illegal and grounds for a law suit. Tomorrow they may be stopping sports cars but we won't know because no sports car guys are complaining on this site. Just an opinion that I think is allowed if I'm not wrong.;)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

YES I was stopped & had to "SHOW MY PAPERS" to the GESTAPO to go on!!! I posted on here yesterday BUT apparantly they (lamont) doesnt like GESTAPO in a thread title!!!! I am legal & have NOTHING to hide but I HATE being pulled over for NO REASON!!! NO loud pipe tickets that I know of just "show your papers" stop!!! HITLER WOULD BE PROUD!!! We now have our own "JACKBOOTS OF GERMANY"!!! they were pulling over everybody cars also & I thanked the lady officer for that!!!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought something was kinda weird when I went by Hell's Kitchen because is usually packed on a Sunday but there were only a few bikes there

I came on to the checkpoint just past there to the east (towards OC). It was only on the eastbound side of the road.

I don't have anything to worry about but they didn't look like they were just doing a cursory check - they were looking in helmets, going over the bikes and some had papers in their hands - like registration and insurance. The people stopped didn't look happy about it either !

It is not hard to find SOMETHING wrong with anyone's bike - if they want. And they had a lot of bikes to choose from sitting there.

There weren't any choppers just a cruiser and some crotch rockets.

I was on my Vulcan and although it has legal pipes, loud is subjective here in CALI and I don't want to get into a debate on the side of the road with a dozen cops.

I, for one, think they need to something to slow the racers down up there for their own good. They have someone killed or injured almost every weekend.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Texas DPS officer were out in force to catch drunks driving on Texas highways.

If this were a roadblock to stop DWI then I feel all motorists, not just motorcyclists should have been stopped and checked.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
This thread is all conjecture built on hearsay. We don't know why the motorcyclists were stopped.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YES I was stopped & had to "SHOW MY PAPERS" to the GESTAPO to go on!!! I posted on here yesterday BUT apparantly they (lamont) doesnt like GESTAPO in a thread title!!!! I am legal & have NOTHING to hide but I HATE being pulled over for NO REASON!!! NO loud pipe tickets that I know of just "show your papers" stop!!! HITLER WOULD BE PROUD!!! We now have our own "JACKBOOTS OF GERMANY"!!! they were pulling over everybody cars also & I thanked the lady officer for that!!!
That sounds like personal experience to me ! Not hearsay.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I can be persuaded. Can you tell us why the motorcyclists were stopped? I wrote above, "We don't know why the motorcyclists were stopped." I've seen lots of speculation and what I call hearsay for want of a better word; but still do not know why.

That sounds like personal experience to me ! Not hearsay.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
This thread is all conjecture built on hearsay. We don't know why the motorcyclists were stopped.
Did you even READ any post before you posted!!! I WAS STOPPED!!! MYSELF....ME .. MY PERSON.. & I posted THAT IS NOT HEARSAY!!! they were stopping all traffic BECAUSE THEY CAN !!! there was NO REASON !!! Just to check everyones "PAPERS" !!!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I can't help but wonder whether they were looking for something or someone special riding a motorcycle and didn't feel it necessary to reveal that to you.

I would hope they were looking for motorcycles with illegal aftermarket mufflers but it doesn't sound like they were interested in that.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I can't help but wonder whether they were looking for something or someone special riding a motorcycle and didn't feel it necessary to reveal that to you.

I would hope they were looking for motorcycles with illegal aftermarket mufflers but it doesn't sound like they were interested in that.

I do not think so as there was some preplaning on the LEOs part as they had an RV/.camping trailer parked there I have not heard of ANY loud pipes tickets... JUST PAPERWORK PROBLEMS no MC endorsments ECT...

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Did you even READ any post before you posted!!! I WAS STOPPED!!! MYSELF....ME .. MY PERSON.. & I posted THAT IS NOT HEARSAY!!! they were stopping all traffic BECAUSE THEY CAN !!! there was NO REASON !!! Just to check everyones "PAPERS" !!!
I gather that you know for a fact that there was no other reason for the stop? Were they issuing tickets and if so for what infractions? Did they, to your knowledge, ticket anyone who was not in violation of a law or regulation?

Personally I wish the police had the resources to look more closely for violations and enforce laws more vigorously. I would rather that scofflaws paid more fines so that the 50% who are law abiding taxpayers could pay less to support/subsidize them.

Incidentally, I have been stopped in similar roadblocks and found it to be rather comforting. Sometimes a quick look can reveal impairment and illegal substances /equipment. I don't know about you but I want folks that use illegal substances, etc., etc. off the road...

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I do not think so as there was some preplaning on the LEOs part as they had an RV/.camping trailer parked there I have not heard of ANY loud pipes tickets... JUST PAPERWORK PROBLEMS no MC endorsments ECT...
As I thought. What you "know" is what you have heard. :joke: Questions: Were you cited for an offense? Were you mistreated, or treated any differently than other motorcyclists?

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
I would think it more had to do with perspective

gestapo??

I would like to watch Ms Frank debate you on that one if she could ???
clueless???

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
I gather that you know for a fact that there was no other reason for the stop? Were they issuing tickets and if so for what infractions? Did they, to your knowledge, ticket anyone who was not in violation of a law or regulation?

Personally I wish the police had the resources to look more closely for violations and enforce laws more vigorously. I would rather that scofflaws paid more fines so that the 50% who are law abiding taxpayers could pay less to support/subsidize them.

Incidentally, I have been stopped in similar roadblocks and found it to be rather comforting. Sometimes a quick look can reveal impairment and illegal substances /equipment. I don't know about you but I want folks that use illegal substances, etc., etc. off the road...
How's the kool-aid??

The jackboots love people with your views, do you also love change you can believe in?

later..Randy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts