GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with a good friend of mine, who has the inside and outside information on after market items for the GL 1800.

His praise of the "cargo keepers" was unending. He told me that some high quality Magazine will be featuring these in a future issue. I am not sure which rag he said it would be in. I would not be surprised to see it in wing world.

As of yet, I do not have a set. I looked on Hal's site and did not find them under Chris Co. So I guess I will have to give the Chef a personal call.

I can see where without them, one could drop a Camera, a GPS or some other valuable out of the side bags and either damage them or just plain loose them. Ouch, I can just see me in the Bad Lands of S. Dakota with no wallet.

From what I have heard earlier on this board, they are a must for the GL 1800. If I see the write up in one of my Bike Mags, I will be sure to pass it on.

Congrats Chef on a simple idea, that turned into a great product for us, and hopefully a profitable situation for you.

Bulldog

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bulldog you are correct in stating they are a must have article for the GL1800 saddlebags. I bought one of the first cargo keepers sold and honestly believe they are great in keeping items withing the side bags. Would highly recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
:D Good grief Bulldog.......I've had mine for a couple of months now. What's taking you so long. :lol:

And yes they are a very good product. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wanted two sets of these (one for wife's 'wing, one for mine) as soon as I heard about them, back when he was offering an introductory price. However, I've never had a "paypal" account, not sure what it even is (and not interested in getting one anyway), and I couldn't find any other acceptable way to purchace them at that time. Has that changed? If not, I guess I'll have to continue to do without. :(

·
Registered
533 Posts
Somebody help me!

I really don't get it. I must be missing something (but not because it fell out of a saddlebag).

The 1800 saddlebags show a display that they are not soundly closed and latched, I have never had one pop open, nor have I seen anyone with an open saddlebag. My problem is being able to get the left one open on any hot day.:wink: What could fall out, and under what circumstances?

Please, I would hate to miss an opportunity to spend $82, but under what scenario do these cargo keepers help us accomplish our riding goals? One other input: I still use the liner bags from my 1500 (don't tell the current owner about that :oops:), so perhaps this is how I am solving the "falling out" problem.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Chef

Two brothers here in town just got a pair of wings for Christmas,
and spent the last couple of days looking for you cargo keepers.
They called two dealers and even called HDL (don't know who)
who said they had never even heard of them. They looked at
mine and decided Christmas needed an extention. By the way,
I think they are one of the better addons I have tacked on the bike.

How about send me an offline email with your address, phone number,
email, etc and ways to order and pay for them so I can forward it.
They want two sets.

Thanks

Harry

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey Deadeye, when you put your bike on the side stand lots of stuff shifts and when you open the left side stuff tries to escape. Pain in the neck.
And if your saddlebag is sticking take it to the dealer they have a fix , under warrenty. I think its a great idea, and agree it is pricey. Joy

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
IMHO, these cargo keepers help with two problems. The most obvious is our valuable necesssary stuff (abbreviated CRAP) tends to fall out on the left side when we open the saddlebag, leaving us with a sand coated ham sandwitch. The other is the sticking saddlebag latch, making it so we can't even get to the ham sandwitch. These hold the valuable necessary stuff back from putting pressure on the saddlebag door, making latch stick a little less often. My latches have not stuck since I put in the keepers. I really think they are on of the better additions to our beast of burden. Anyway, I like mine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good points.

Here is what is in my left saddlebag, all year long:

In the bottom is a first aid kit, a tool kit, a compressor in a small leather bag and a 3/4 helmet face shield. All this stuff is below the low side bottom edge.

Then, there is a saddlebag liner (soft side suitcase) that contains the rain gear, bike cover, spare sunglasses, and other must carry items.

The only things I add to this on a long trip might be a shaving kit and a pair of boat shoes. My sweetie uses the right saddlebag for her luggage, no problem with stuff falling out - ever, and I use the trunk for my luggage. maps and electronics. We've used this system for 10 years in various wings, with no problem.

It appears to me that the Cargo-keepers makes up for the lack of liners on the 1800. I can sure see why someone that doesn't have such a liner could use a keeper, for the left side anyway.

Ride safe

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
I'm waiting for them to come out in paperback! :D If not paperback, maybe someone will send me a template so I can make my own out of foam! :D On second thought, I won't do that, because that would be stealing! :( This www.Chriscoacc.com "Dude" can't build a new house or feed his 6 Kids with me using his ideas, can he?

They sound like a great product! I'm just waiting for my Rich Uncle to get out of the Poor House so I can afford a set! :wink: Riding too much! A tank of fuel a day in the bike is getting expensive!
(Another 230 miles today for breakfast!)

It was good seeing you Brother Chef!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red,

230 miles for breakfast? Your wife that bad of a cook? :lol: I am sure she is not, she just watches what she serves you and you have to get out of town, to build up your carbs. :lol:

Red I am sure, that you could by a set if you wanted to. Sell some more of those remotes. :lol:

We know you like foolin with us snowed in birds. You know what? We like it too!

If you want, I can make you a set out of cardboard. Just Kidding. Have a great New Year.

Bulldog

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts

Hey Bulldog....

I was thinking about trying paper mache for the keeper cargos! LOL... I think Chef would allow me to make installment payments if I really wanted a set! I don't care what other people say about Chef, he's alright! I'm saving my money for another set of tires at this time! :roll: The Metzlers suck!

The Wife was with me "again" today. She is on winter break. When she is on break or vacation she goes on strike. No kitchen for her! When I use motorcycle and food in the same sentence, she reaches for her helmet and heads for the garage! LOL.. :(

Happy & A Safe New Year Back At You!

·
Registered
177 Posts
ChrisCo

Ruben
He's so busy posting here on the board to keep his #1 place :D :lol: is why he's so far behind on items for his wing. :oops: :yes:
roger/orangestreak :oops:
rogerfjrfaster :D

·
Registered
816 Posts
Kudos for the keepers

I've had a set of the cargo keepers for a couple of months and they are great. Honda should pick them up as an add-on for the GL1800!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Anyone close by can see a set up at Venco Wings, Louden NH along with Jims new white Wing. He should have that bike decked out in a week or two. He has everything he needs on hand.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: Kudos for the keepers

OzarksF6 said:
I've had a set of the cargo keepers for a couple of months and they are great. Honda should pick them up as an add-on for the GL1800!
I've had mine for almost 2 months myself...

But I've got a HUGE problem with them!!! :evil:
They arrived THE DAY AFTER I left for the desert, so the poor lonely things are still sitting in a shipping box in the cold dark garage :(

Can't wait to try'em out... in just over two more months :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts