GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hey, Dawg,
That's a cute picture of Meesh. Is she trying to figure out where all the money went from the checking account? How ya gonna explain that one?
Mikey

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mikey,

That picture was taken outside of Electrical Connections, I think she was figuring the bill before Lewis did...

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I like that(Meesh too,but I'm talking about the cover)
I've got one of those ABS chrome timing covers,and don't really like it.
Yesterday was my birthday,and I didn't buy myself anything,I might have to have this!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hatfield, not hard to install, just tedious and another hand would help. And yes there is a gasket you have to replace and they said not to use silicone like suggested. It is well worth it. You should also get the suggested chrome bolts. Joy

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pete,

No fair, you are driving the price up. You don't know whom you are fooling with here Mister ! I am the Ebay snipe king, 2003, 2004

I am interested in it but marginally. Good Luck

Bulldog

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chrome

Before Creasey's Honda in Lexington, TN changed owners they were selling this for $150 plus $36 for the chrome bolts. But you had to send them your old cover. Sooo.... I'm sure you could get you timing cover chromed for less than the Ebay offering. Just a suggestion before you guys get into a bidding war. LOL

Jerry

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jerry,

I am out of the bidding, have been for quite a few bids.

Happy New Year you "Old Salt"

Bulldog

S

·
0 Posts
Please take note!!!

I could sure be wrong with my observation but this timing cover being sold "could" be ABS. I have emailed the seller but have not received a reply from him yet. (2 days now)

No where in the auction does it state whether it is ABS or aluminum!

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

The price sure has gone out of site even if this item is aluminum. Some chrome just 'taint worth it. (IMHO)

I hope it works out for whomever wins the auction! :)

Do be careful!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
On 12-30, he added that it was a genuine Honda cover. I wouldn't think that Honda would make a plastic one. Way too expensive for me either way. :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Excellent note Phil...

In any case we still don't know if the "genuine Honda part" is made of.

We all know what the word "ASSUME" means. I ask questions. If I don't get the reply I like I go on down the road.

Happy New year to all.

:idea: :?: :!: :arrow: (I get the idea, ask the question(s), make my determinations and then head down the road.)

·
Registered
837 Posts
As it's attached directly to the engine, I wouldn't think a plastic cover could take the heat without atleast warping or becoming deformed in some way.....could it? I just can't imagine that it would be plastic.

(but you never know)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Re: Please take note!!!

Silver & Gold said:
No where in the auction does it state whether it is ABS or aluminum!

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
The description on e-bay says:
It is a Genuine Honda cover that has a excellent CHROME Finish.
Did Honda ever make this cover with something other than aluminum?
:?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice cover. But it is not worth what it has been bid up to. The advantage of being in the Frozen North is a guy has lots of time to tear stuff apart and work on the wing. Last year I got the timming cover , the kick stand , all the bolts and the two side belly covers chromed at a local plating shop for $200.00 Canadian. There is a gasket behind the cover and no you won't loose any oil. When you put the sensor back on use a torque wrench and also torque the cover down to specs. I rode all last summer and not a problem. Either good workmanship or lucky. Yes it's - 22 below and has been what way for a while, and just got another covering of snow. The cover is made of aluminum. If you get it chromed tell you plating guy to keep the heat down to a reasonable temp. I was told 140 degrees. The cover did not warp.
Have a good one. :lol:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pete,

I think that you have done just fine. Sure is gonna be one of the nicest looking chromed metal parts on your bike. I am envious. My friends in CA tell me to just go get the one I have chromed. What they don't realize is that it is hard enough to keep the electricity on in the neighborhood, let alone get something chromed...LOL

Good Job Pete.

Happy new Year.

Bulldog

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hatfield, no draining of any oil. Just the timing change cover then loosen the sensor. I cleaned up the area with just a clean rag and then put the gasket on, the shiney new timing chain cover back on and the shiney new bolts. This is where an extra hand comes in handy , trying to get it back together.
Make sure the gasket is on nice and straight and not pinched.
I got mine from Creasy's and the suggested bolts(by them) You really should get them. But they don't do it anymore, but Schroeders in NC still does the chrome stuff, you could check with them. Their # is in wing world 1-800-445-5934, maybe they have the bolts. Good luck and this is a great addition. Sure pretties up the front. Joy
Mine cost 125 for the cover
30 for the bolts
10 for the gasket
and 200 til they got the exchange back

Hope this helps. Joy

·
Registered
615 Posts
Oh yeah Pete, sorry my reply took so long, and hope it helps. Post a picture when you have it on. You will love it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pete, at the top of the cover there is a sensor, forget which one, that you loosen and let hang til you get the gasket on. It is one screw as I remember. I think I used a dab of silicon type adhesive.
Did you get instructions with yours,? I think I looked mine up in the Honda book, plus some instructions that came with it. Joy

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey Pete, I would call schroeders before you pay that much for it. But I know what its like to want something that purdy. I think they will be open friday or Monday. I forget what Chef said about they're down time.

I would ask him about the bolts and the gasket for that price,too. You right , though, it is all relative. I bought a ride off stand for something like 125 then took it to a local chromer and was charged 75 to chrome it. So go figure. Joy

S

·
0 Posts
Hi All... :roll:

The reason I mentioned the fact of ABS is that someone earlier in this line of posts mentioned he had the ABS type and not aluminum and that he was not very happy with it.

I did get a reply from the seller and he says it is aluminum so now we can all put that issue to rest.

Just tryin' to help those who are bidding to be sure they get what they really want.

Even though some ABS plastics can withstand some higher than average temps the aluminum is much much better.

Good luck to whomever wins! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts