GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out a fix or do I need to replace the part. The right side (facing forward) muffler heat shield has come loose from the band that wraps around the muffler. It is the most forward band on the muffler. I noticed a rattling noise that led me to the issue. The heat shield is sticking out about 1/2 inch where the muffler begins. From what I can see, it looks as if the heat shield is spot welded to the band. I have looked online at the muffler schematic and it doesn't show a seperate heat shield, it shows the muffler and heat shield as one unit. Anyone have a fix?:shrug:
Thanks,

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Scott, my '04 doesn't have a band. It has two prongs that stick out from the muffler slip-on that the shield goes on. Can't remember which side but one of mine is a royal PITA to install.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Like TravelinLite says there are 2 tabs that slide into slots on the exhaust cover. There are rubber covers that go on the tabs and fit into the hooks. You have to position in covers on the supports before you attach the front.

FRONT EXHAUST PIPE PROTECTOR
Do not lose the hook rubbers on the tabs.
Replace the fiber washers with new ones.
Do not lose the hook rubbers on the tabs.
Perform the following procedure for both the left and right exhaust pipe protectors.
Remove the following: – front lower fairing (page 2-6) – bolt, two nuts and four fiber washers
Remove the lower portion of the protector from the studs, release the four hooks from the tabs and remove the protector.
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
TORQUE: Bolt: 12 N·m (1.2 kgf·m, 9 lbf·ft)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott.What part number are you talking about??.

2008 Honda
GL1800
MUFFLER (2)
June 27, 2011
Rocky, it is part number 6. The heat shield that is attached to the muffler has pulled lose in the front just under the right saddlebag.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I just looked at my stock mufflers in my trailer.

If you outer shield broke away from the tab that is welded to the muffler itself,Then you have three options.

1) If you have the extended warranty,Let them replace that muffler.
2) If no warranty-Get a trike take off muffler.
3) Get a Stainless steel Pop rivet.Polish it so it looks like chrome,and drill the correct size hole and install it.

The shield is tack welded to a tab and then chromed.
There is no way to remove the shield unless you cut all the welded tabns to the muffler.
Then you'd have a burn mark on the chrome if you had the tab electric spot welded back then rewelded all the tabs again to the muffler.

I'd go with option 1 or 2. But a SS rivet isn't going to show to anyone but you either.lol

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rocky, that's the conclusion I was coming up with. I have an extended warranty so I will have Honda replace it.:thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks Rocky, that's the conclusion I was coming up with. I have an extended warranty so I will have Honda replace it.:thumbup:

That's what I would do too as much as I hate to let a stranger touch my bike.The weld was defective and thus a Warranty replacement is headed your way.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hey Rocky! that CB900 looks sweet! Are you done with the restoration?

Thanks TD.Not quite done yet-I just threw some Billet Silver on it for now.but I am riding it due to the length of time they are taking on my 1800 for it's new eng.

I put 130 miles on the 900 Saturday,and Boy does it shift so smooth and gets better gas mileage than my 1800 does. 41mpg vs 30-33 when ridden the same way.

That 10 speed gear box is sweet.When I shift to into Hi range it drops the rpm's 600 on the tach at the same speed in 5th gear/10th gear.

Boy if I could figure out how to adapt one of them sub trannys to a 1800.Then I'd see great mileage numbers..lol

The sub tranny has it's own oil pump/supply from the rest of the engine (80wt oil)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts