GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
List:

Is there an expert or two out there that can answer a few questions?

I want to either chrome plate or powder coat my GL1800 wheeles ...

The way they are now (bike is a 2005 with 28k miles) I don't feel like getting down there and polishing them every 2 months or so ... They are beginning to show a very little amount of age.

So, what are the pros and cons of either - chrome plating or powdercoating relative to care / upkeep and how long will either choice last.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Dom,
I've seen a lot of powder coating on race car chassis. If the metal is preped right it holds up well. You still have to put a coat of wax on it to keep it from getting dull as time goes by. IT will chip if hit by large rocks but most wheels don't get much of that. Chrome isn't as maintenance free as some think. It will pit, peel and discolor if it's not protected from the elements with something (wax usually). Secret to long lasting chrome is usually in the preparation of the base metal, and the types of plating underlying the chrome layer. Copper is used as a good filler first layer, when the base metal isn't perfectly smooth. Nichol plating is used as the first layer when the base is smooth and a more resistant and bright chrome is wanted. Chrome is sort of a retro look in many show vehicle circles now days. Multi-color and textured powder coats are pretty popular now. Chrome never goes out of style on the bikes though. Chrome plating of aluminum wheels is a little more complex than plating good ole steel. That always introduces the possibility that the chrome won't hold up as well on Aluminum wheels. Hopefully some of the other members (with owners experience of chrome Wing wheels) will chime in with info on how the chrome wheels on the market now have been holding up out on the road. :)
DC

·
Registered
230 Posts
Chrome Wheels

I have had Chrome wheels for a couple of years now and as far as I am concerned it was the best thing I did to my bike.I love a clean bike but I hate to spend a lot of time getting it that way.If it takes more than five minutes to clean both wheels,I'm doing something wrong! Just a little Honda spray polish and wipe and I'm good to go and ready to launch.You can send them to Classic Components in Calif. yourself but you have to remove the bearings and rear wheel bolt inserts or else they will charge you extra.Now is a good time of year to lay up the bike.They usually take about two to three weeks turnaround.......Jim

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Powder coating works for me although I had a problen with my original wheels(40,000). The rear wheel bubbled with impurities coming out of the metal wheel during the heat process. It was sandblasted and done again but the results were not good. The front wheel(much newer) was a lot better. Powder coat sooner than later is my advice.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
powder coat

I went with the black shiney powder coat I just wipe them off with a rag after a year they still look good .

·
Registered
628 Posts
Considering the price difference ($500-$700 chrome, $110-$130 powdercoat) I went with the powder coat. If done right it's pretty tough stuff. Anything is going to get dings when struck by debris even chrome. To keep my wheels shiny I just hose them off and wax them maybe twice a year.

LAW

·
Banned
716 Posts
Ihad mine powder coated last year. What a great idea. Wash & go!!!. I no longer get down and try to polish the alum. Mine are black with rainbow metal flakes that look a different color at different angles.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Another option I have heard of is to have the wheel polished up then powder coat it with clear. Looks stock but never needs polishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts