GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to hear the best rationales for adding chrome after-market pieces to the Wing for purely "cosmetic" purposes. A lot of people think chrome is just generally tacky -- whether it's added to cars, bikes, boats or whatever. They associate it with the big Detrout land yachts of the 50s and 60s that were bedecked in chromed bumpers, mirrors, door handles and trim and then overlaid with useless and flashy chrome accent strips. In a lot of circles chrome seems to be ridiculed with much the same disdain that is directed at guys who still like to wear a lot of gold neck chains.

Obviously a lot of Gold Wing riders don't agree with this view.

I'm not offering any self-righteous judgement here. I'm just interested to understand the thinking about the aesthetic -- what it is that chrome add-ons do for the overall appearance of the Wing. Can anyone offer any thoughts that go beyond "Well, it just looks good, don'tchaknow?"

G

·
0 Posts
I've opted for the paint-matched parts, rather than chrome
(lower side cowls and front lower cowl). My '03 is black and I
don't think I'll be adding any chrome, with the possible exception
of having the wheels chromed at some point.....still toying with
the idea of black powder-coated wheels. I like the "blacked-out"
stealth look...but that's just one guy's opinion! 8)

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I added the chrome trim to my trunk and bags. It seems to even out the level of chrome on the bike for me.

The trim on the bags are lighted Kury items. I wanted lights on the rear /sides of the bike since nothing was there

Each color and owner seem to reach a certain level of chrome happiness.

I have seen some bikes with too much chrome on them.

I must admit I am thinking of having the OE Titanium trim modified with LED lights and reinstalling them.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
That is a good question as I have asked myself each time I put another piece on :) :) When I got my wing I told myself I would just ad a couple things. Now it is a couple thousand dollars worth. :) :) Will I get that money back when I sell or trade it in? I seriously doubt it.

It is expensive to say the least.

I kind of think that us older people who do it because we like seeing the chrome that we saw on cars as we grew up. Nowadays cars are being built without much if any chrome on them. I have always liked it and I will put it on.

That is one thing about this great country, you can put it on or leave it off. It is just a preference thing. I would be the last one to tell a guy he had too much or not enough. If he and or his mate like what they have that is all that counts. One thing that makes me mad is when some know it all tells you that it looks like trash or something to that nature.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Chrome

Well, I'm from the 50's-60's generation and I LIKE CHROME, dual antenna's, turndown exhaust, safety lights and I like a little chrome also, too. It is very enjoyable to tinker with all this stuff, do maintenance on the bike etc.

The Wing looks just great if you don't like that STUFF, its all in what turns you on.

Whatever you do, this is a fantastic bike and produces enjoyment beyond belief.
JMHO

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i vote tacky on chrome

if i were going to spend the cash on purely cosmetic things, i would either powder coat the wheels, or body color paint other parts.

my last vehicle was a bite me red durango with body color bumpers and zero chrome. that looked sharp.

loren

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I like chrome, and have seen some 1800's decked out in the shiney stuff that looked pretty good. My own preference however, is to avoid adding a lot of chrome to my Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
One of the main visual appeals on the Wing to me is the color. Chrome is fine, but the stock wing has enough for my taste. I did however add more chrome when I installed the Kury ergo II road pegs...but that is not chrome for chroe sakes. I may add matching color on the cowl and such sown the road...but I really like it in stoch condition.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Chrome

I've seen the gold plated chrome accents. I can't imagine anything that would look better on the black cherry goldwing. Personally I like the chrome accents on my bike although I'd admit that less is more.

Mike
ilb03

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Personal Tastes

It truly is a "personal tastes" thing, so there is no correct answer. As for my "personal taste," I think the chrome looks really good on a darker color paint and it looks great on my Valk. For example, I think that looks fantastic on the Candy Black Cherry. My bike is an 02 Pearl Orange and trimmed with a southwestern theme, so to add the chrome trim pieces would really be overdone. I have added chrome in select places, i.e. the front lower cowl, the side cover chrome trim pieces, and the front vents. Have included a composite view of the paint trim on my Wing below.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I will have to vote for SOME chrome. It breaks up what looks like an acre of Illusion Blue in the area of the trunk/bags and the fairing.
This is a personal view, and I suppose an attempt to make my bike unique :?:
Maybe just a little more in the dash area..... :D

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
in my opinion,the color needs to be broken up some on these bikes.
I have a bit of chrome on mine,and don't think I need much more.
I have seen some that have too much chrome,but that's just my opinion.

To each his own. If you like chrome go for it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
rchawk49 said:
This is a personal view, and I suppose an attempt to make my bike unique :?:
I think you hit the nail on the head with this observation. In a world of mass produced vehicles, many are looking for a way to personalize our rides.

So far, I haven't put anything on for looks alone. I have better things to spend my money one. Everything added so far (and what's left on the list to be added) has been for functionality alone - and if it looks nice to boot, that's just a fringe benefit.

I guess I'd rather spend my time riding than polishing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, we've established what we already knew -- that a lot of us like chrome and a lot don't. But the question was what is the reason for adding chrome, beyond the simple opinion that it looks good. In other words, WHY does it look good to you?

Happily, some of you actually addressed this queston, though I'm not quite sure what Tony means by "to even out the level of chrome on the bike."

I can appreciate what 5Ross noted: "because we like seeing the chrome that we saw on cars as we grew up." That makes perfect sense to me.

And I think I know what Mikalbike means by "accents," though it's still unclear why one person wants them and another doesn't (or why someone would feel such accents are needed on a Wing but not on their Lexus or Crown Victoria).

The notion of "accents" may be somewhat related to what Jeff has said ("the color needs to be broken up some on these bikes") and rchawk49 echoed ("It breaks up what looks like an acre of Illusion Blue in the area of the trunk/bags and the fairing."). Why an acre of unchromed Illusion Blue (or Candy Red or Black or Titamium or whatever) would not pose any problem to others remains unanswered, however

Then the notion of making the bike unique, as rchawk49 added, is understandable as well. (And Stormbringer elaborated: "In a world of mass produced vehicles, many are looking for a way to personalize our rides.") Maybe if there were rallies attended by 100s of identical Lexuses, the owners of those vehicles would start personalizing them as well.

Interesting, guys. Thanks.

Any other insights from anyone else?

G

·
0 Posts
With the variety of answers/opinions expressed, I'm beginning
to sense a rhetorical question here.....my sense is that you will
not get a "definitive" answer to such a subjective question (and you
will even get people like me, who aren't into chrome, inadvertantly
responding to your question! :oops: )

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It may be an ingrained or subconsious thing for some of us elders from the 50's.

Back then the higher end cars all had gobs of chrome and whitewall tires. The low end, cheaper ones had none of this and were lacking in other amenities as well.

Of couse us kids were nobodies without dual glasspacks, fender skirts, lowering and other modifications.

I still like chrome and whitewalls.

All previous Wings had whiewalls or at least raised white letters, including my 1500's.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I agree with Don. There is almost a subconscious aspect to adding chrome to your wing that goes much deeper than wanting to indivualize it. I think its a cultural thing and, like Don, I grew up as a teen in the early '50s when chrome was the "in" thing. To me, a bike without any chrome, looks naked, and that is probably exactly what the owners wants to project. But for me, chrome accents here and there add to the richness of the overall effect, and that is a result of the culture in which I grew up. However, I would never criticize anyone for wanting to keep their bike "plain Jane."

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
I won a free Big Bike parts chrome package at a GWRRA rally once,sold it. I happen to prefer the original look. For anyone who likes to add the chrome goodies I say go for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts