GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi from Australia,
I'm looking at the chrome timing cover from VP, any coments from members regarding this product? looks good in the pic'c and price seens fair. all imput welcome.
thanks
aussie bob

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
It looks ok. It is chromed plastic,and is fastened with velcro.
Some time I am going to take mine off and have the actual timing cover chromed.I think that will look much better,but that does cost a lot more,

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also bought one, and now its in my garage on a shelf. My bike is in a Honda dealership now (Asheboro N.C.) getting the timing cover and valve covers chromed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Blue_Knight said:
I also bought one, and now its in my garage on a shelf. My bike is in a Honda dealership now (Asheboro N.C.) getting the timing cover and valve covers chromed.
Just out of curosity Blue Knight what's it costing you?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bulldog said:
Rodney,

I am counting on you for getting me a deal on Chroming my timing cover......LOL

Bulldog
Just checking the competition...

I should have a firm price and a few on hand in a couple more weeks. Yours will be the first one Bulldog!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Outstanding Rodney. I knew there was something that I liked about you....LOL

Let me know the deal when you get the facts.

Dawg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Dawg,

Niehaus Cycles has the timing cover for 90.00 and 15.00 for the plug, 9.82 for a new gasket, 130.00 core charge that will be refunded when you return your old one, plus shipping of about 7.00 depending on where you live for a total of 121.82 when you return the core. I have mine but have not installed it yet and it looks like a very good job. This is the best price I have found anywhere. If you need anything else I will be glad to help.
:D

Eddie

Niehaus Cycle Sales
718 Old route 66 North
Litchfield, Il. 62056
1800 373-6565
www. niehauscycle.com

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pete
I´m with Hatfield 100%
The VP plastic has no shape. I chromed my cover 1 month ago. If you let some one downunder do the job, make sure they are capable of putting chrome on aluminium. The one who made it for me had to try 3 times to get it right. I would consider to buy some already made from Owl Lighting and Speciality Products, Niehaus or schroeder´s.
Janne

·
Registered
615 Posts
Fasteb, does that include the chromed bolts? Thanks Joy

·
Registered
37 Posts
No. they do not do the bolts. I am going to use my old bolts unless I can find some and then I will switch them out. I do not think it will be to noticeable witht the old bolts, but I have not installed it yet so i don't really know for sure.

Eddie

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can polish the bolts. They are steinless steel. I have done most of the bolts on the bike. It gets real shiny if you got a polish mashine or anything that rotates.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Orange...the timing cover exchange is 193.00. The dealership took off my valve covers and sent them to Brown Bros. in Ky to be chromed. They are going to run 220.00 for both.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Blue_Knight said:
Orange...the timing cover exchange is 193.00. The dealership took off my valve covers and sent them to Brown Bros. in Ky to be chromed. They are going to run 220.00 for both.
Thanks Blue Knight, that sounds about right for a good quality job.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chrome cover

thanks for the info guy's, not going to bother with the plastic cover now. i'm surprised that kuryakyn or some one else does not have a better chrome cover for this part, seems there would be a real market for a good looking cover, and sure would be better than having to pull the cover off for exchange chrome plating
Aussie Bob :p :idea:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks, Pete

When I first contacted Niehaus they said they did not have the bolts,
but after your post I called them back and they do have them for 1.24
each. I have them on order and will put the cover on when it warms
up a little.

Thanks,
Eddie

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
CROME COVER

Bargers Honda in Waco TX. HAS THE CROME VALVE COVERS FOR 250.00 and CROME TIMING COVER FOR 75.00 CROME PLUG FOR 15.00 and CROME BOLTS FOR 8.00 each. I have seen the crome job on them and it looks very good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts