GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
chromed valve covers.....

My roady buddy had his 03's valve covers chromed in indy for 120.00 they also do wheels for 250.00 a copy.
JD

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can't find the details, but it seems like people were going to Casey's or Creasy's Honda or something like that where they had an exchange going.
:rat: Bake

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not Schroaders!

I don't know what experiences others have had with Schroaders, but I would never deal with them. They just royally pissed me off and though others might disgree with my stance, I hold to my opinion.

I wanted to buy their chrome wheels. The way they work it is that you have to send your wheels and they'll ship their wheels back. Then you get into a discussion over the bearings and wheels and it becomes a pain.

I wanted them to ship me a set first, but they would not, they insisted on my set first. I told them that if they shipped me their set, I'd happy tell them to charge my credit card for their wheels and a set of new wheels, until mine are returned and then they can credit me, and I'd throw in an addition $25. for the paperwork involved, - nada, nothing.

Granted, it is their business but to me, it's simply poor customer service when they cannot work with you on something this trivial.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Mike, I'm sorry to hear about your problems w/Schroaders. If you're still looking for chrome wheels, you might give Paul & Rodney Smith a call (Pete posted their link above). If I remember right, they said they'd sell them as you want them (with or without new valve stems, bearings, tires, etc)

I haven't met them in person (yet), but we've done some mutual business together and they've always done right by me. :lol:

Someday I'd like to be able to afford a set of chrome wheels... 8)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Chrome Wheels

Thanks for the positive feedback on Schroaders and the info on the wheels.

I ended up picking up a second set of wheels, bearings, tires for only $250. so I sent them out to Classic Components I think the name was, out in California. They'll chrome both wheels with a 5-step process, and ship them back, for $500. and they do gorgeous work.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
schroder's, chrome front wheel pricing

While at wots this fall, my motel was only a couple of blocks away from Schroder's honda. I'm thinking he had the front wheel only, worked up to about 650.00 there abouts with bearings labor etc. and anything else he could think of to jack up the price. I already knew that the chromers were doing the basic chroming job for 250.00 per wheel. Needless to say, i was not impressed with their pricing policy. JD

·
Registered
810 Posts
Schroaders

You have to assume that Schroaders is getting their wheels done by someone and there is a good chance Classic Components might be the place. They are one of the best wheel shops in the country and their quality is excellent.

You figure it will cost you about $50. to have your wheels and bearings pulled. Ship the wheels out - about $35. Have the wheels chromed $500. including return shipping. Another $50. to have your wheels and bearings put back in and if you have to buy bearings and seals, say $30. more.

Schroaders is basically raping the customer with their prices and then their labor charges to get the bike on your wheel. I talked to them numerous times, more than willing to have them put a $1000. retainer on my card until I returned my wheels, instead of being out of commission, but they wouldn't even return emails on any nature.

If I was outside his store with a flat, I'd call someone else - plus, I think he has a color blindness condition. His bikes look like crap.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I think he has a color blindness condition. His bikes look..

I would be ashamed :oops: to ride some of the color schemes they have shown in Wing World Magazine.

.... just my opinion

·
Registered
810 Posts
Road Runner Color Schemes

Oh do I agree. However, if you could stop at a light and get the Goldwing to move up and down like some of the cars I've seen in movies, then the colors might go over better!

IMHO

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yup. It's a Goldwing board.

"Chrome valve covers needed"

LOL I'm visualizing the telethon. "Thousands of the disadvantaged are forced to ride their Gold Wings around with no chrome on their vavle covers."

Just kiddin there, Topster. :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: Chrome Wheels

mcallery said:
Thanks for the positive feedback on Schroaders and the info on the wheels.

I ended up picking up a second set of wheels, bearings, tires for only $250. so I sent them out to Classic Components I think the name was, out in California. They'll chrome both wheels with a 5-step process, and ship them back, for $500. and they do gorgeous work.
I've typed this and deleted it several times because I really don't like to do what I am about to do and that is talk about someone else's work, but my own personal experience with Classic Components in California is that "sometimes" their work is good, sometimes they want to blame very poor workmanship and a total lack of quality control on sub-standard base metals, and sometimes they quote you one price and one time frame and then charge you quite a differnet price and deliver in a much differnent time frame. Sometimes they return your calls, emails and faxes, sometimes they don't. As someone in the business of providing a quality product in a timely manner for a fair price, I can not do that nor can I recommend someone that does.

There has been at least one other member of this community who had a negative experience with Classic as well, perhaps he'd care to chime in here too.

Like I said earlier, I've retyped this posting and deleted it several times now, but this time I am going to let it stand, after all I am just relating my own personal experiences.

When it's all said and done you may get a good chrome job from them and be very happy, and on the other hand you may not. I wish you the best of luck with Classic.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Classic Components

I think no matter what vendor one chooses, the odds are that you are going to have a certain amount of problems.

I did see one other person who had troubles, and now you, although you didn't mention a specific incident but generalities. I'd be interested in your specific case.

In my case, my wheels are done, and are back on the bike. I've had two other people locally have their wheels done with identical results, both are very, very pleased.

I will tell you that their customer service does in fact lack. When I called at two weeks for a status report they were unable to really help me out and it was a round robin getting an answer. When I got my wheels, however, they were brilliant in their finish.

I hope that in a year from now, I'll be writing with the same enthusiasm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: Classic Components

mcallery said:
... although you didn't mention a specific incident but generalities. I'd be interested in your specific case.
Mike I just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I believe the person you talking about is me??
Below is an email I sent to Classic Components with regard to the rims I had chromed at their facility in late Oct/early Nov 2003.
This email pretty much sums it all up................they have/had some quality control issues, let's hope they have them resolved.
Their response to my email is below my email................

I'm not trying to rag on a company just telling my experiences..................BTW - I definitely would send another set of rims to CC as I feel the chrome plating job itself is awesome and hopefully they have the issues resolved.

Dear Sirs:

I recently received my two motorcycle rims (Honda GL1800 GoldWing) back from your company after having them chrome plated. First let me say the quality and overall appearance of the rims is excellent..................I've very pleased with chroming job itself.

But, there are several issues I've found that require your attention.......................

1. On the front rim (right side) there is a lip on the OEM rim that the ABS sensor wheel mounts to. This lip was chrome plated and some of the plating is actually slightly inside this lip. This has caused me many problems and extra expense because of this.
**When installing the right bearing some of the chrome plating on the inside of this lip was forced down along with the bearing and caused this bearing to partially seize. The result was I had to take the rim to the dealer and pay for a second set of new bearings plus the labor involved with removing these bearings and installing new ones (they had a tough time getting the right bearing out because of this jammed piece of chrome flake so they had to remove both bearings).
**Because this lip was chromed I could not get the right brake disc to fit back on the rim. I had to use a Dremel tool with a course-sanding bit to remove the layer of chrome so the brake disc would seat against the hub.
2. The GoldWing rims have a small tab that a valve stem holder attaches to. This holder is critical as without it the valve stem would eventually snap off and cause a tire blowout. On the rear rim this tabs "nubs" were partially ground off sometime during the plating process...............now the holder no longer stays attached to the rim. This could be a very dangerous situation for the rider..................The shop that I had install the tires on the rims had to install some silicone adhesive to securely fasten the holder to the rim.
3. The rear rim on the GL1800 has steel inserts the fit into the rims mounting holes. Most owners don't realize these are even there (I didn't until someone on an internet message board www.GL1800.org mentioned it after I had sent my rims in for chroming). Classic Components was kind enough to remove them without charge but unless I new to look for them in the shipping package, I would of probably tossed them in the garbage along with the rest of the packing material. I suggest you somehow make it obvious these were removed so others don't inadvertantly throw them away.
I'm still very glad I had my rims chrome plated at your company as I really like the overall appearance and quality of the chrome plating. But I'm somewhat dismayed at the extra time, additional money, and aggrevation I had to go through to get the rims back into usable condition.

Sincerely,

Brian Fenner
<edited address/phone, etc>

Classic Components response...............

Brian, I am very sorry for all of the trouble our plating has caused you, and for all of the extra effort needed to correct the problem(s). I really appreciate you letting us know that there was a problem, and I can assure you that disciplinary actions will be taken our negligent employee. It is a procedure of ours that with Goldwing rims, the "nub" or "tabs" are not to be taken down at all by our polishers. As for the problem with the bearing hole, I do beleive that the material we use to plug that surface did not hold up during the process. I will personally talk to my employees in the warehouse and make sure that these were simply mistakes that will not happen again. Once again I sincerely appologize for the inconvenience this has caused you,and hope that you do not hold it against us as a company.

Classic Components, Inc.
[email protected]
www.chromeplating.com

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sorry Brian, but I can't agree with this being a good company to do business with. Yes they sent you a letter saying that they were sorry, etc. But what they failed to do, where as a good company would, offer to compensate you for their mistakes. If you could have submitted a bill from the dealer showing the expense that you incurred as a result of their mishap, they should have offered to pay at least half of the dealers bill. I'm sorry but we as a nation have learned to accept less than respectable quality from a company and still continue to purchase from that company. What did the letter cost them, a little time? What did their inattention to quality cost you? Think about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts