GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just added accents to the front wheel, has anyone tried installing a set to the left rear side, will it throw the balance off, is it because you have to buy a set, i think the wheel has the same shape, and curveture.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know these existed. Says only for the front. Rear wheel is a smaller size. Front 18 rear 16. 100 miles and you can't see the back ones anyway.

Just for a link - Spoke Covers

You could opt for a Hub Cap!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chrome wheel accents

So excited forgot about the wheel size, chrome has that effect.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ummm.. Those are expensive at $125... another set for the other side & you're up to $250.. and I don't think they cover the rim, just the spokes.. + the same for the back, except they probably wouldn't fit...

For not a lot more (about $700) you can get fully chromed rims shipped exchange from Bulldog or Buckskin. At least that's where they were last year. No more polishing aluminum, no more cruddy looking rims, just sparkly gleamng shining chrome.

(See how I justified a 600% increase? Yeah, that's the ticket, Honey.. It's just a little more...)

I had them shipped to Jim at Venco, rode up, he spooned new rubber on them, applied them to the bike, and handed the old ones back to UPS. I parted with more money, and rode home. My wife had carefully examined my highly polished stock rims before I left so she could oooh and aaaah over the new ones. She was blown away with how nice and how much better they look in chrome. Her response was "Holy Cow! (actually cow-poop) That's amazing!"

The price included shipping both ways, bearings, chrome valves, balancing beads. Pretty reasonable for the solution to the grubby rim problem.

Dave
GWBBA #9
GoldWing Bling Bling Association

Chrome...my favorite color.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Ummm.. Those are expensive at $125... another set for the other side & you're up to $250.. and I don't think they cover the rim, just the spokes.. + the same for the back, except they probably wouldn't fit...

For not a lot more (about $700) you can get fully chromed rims shipped exchange from Bulldog or Buckskin. At least that's where they were last year. No more polishing aluminum, no more cruddy looking rims, just sparkly gleamng shining chrome.

(See how I justified a 600% increase? Yeah, that's the ticket, Honey.. It's just a little more...)

I had them shipped to Jim at Venco, rode up, he spooned new rubber on them, applied them to the bike, and handed the old ones back to UPS. I parted with more money, and rode home. My wife had carefully examined my highly polished stock rims before I left so she could oooh and aaaah over the new ones. She was blown away with how nice and how much better they look in chrome. Her response was "Holy Cow! (actually cow-poop) That's amazing!"

The price included shipping both ways, bearings, chrome valves, balancing beads. Pretty reasonable for the solution to the grubby rim problem.

Dave
GWBBA #9
GoldWing Bling Bling Association

Chrome...my favorite color.
I would agree, for the money just get them chromed.............I had mine done (front & rear) at Classic Components for a total of $550 plus $15 for bearings.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I thought that 10 piece set of spoke covers looked pretty good until I saw them in person at Wingstuff. http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/454_Wheel_Accessory/3785_Kuryakyn_GL1800_Chrome_Wheel_Spoke_Accents/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F454_goldwing_Wheel_Accessory%2Fdes%2F%3Fpage%3D2

I had my wheels chromed two years ago by Classic Components and they still look like the day I put them on..
$265 for just the front wheel or $550 for both with return shipping included.
I installed my own bearings and Stem.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have just added accents to the front wheel, has anyone tried installing a set to the left rear side, will it throw the balance off, is it because you have to buy a set, i think the wheel has the same shape, and curveture.
On Thursday night, I saw a guy I ride with polished his rims with a product from Mother's. They looked very shiny. He did such a good job, that they would rival a set of chromed rims. I am planning to go this route.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
On Thursday night, I saw a guy I ride with polished his rims with a product from Mother's. They looked very shiny. He did such a good job, that they would rival a set of chromed rims. I am planning to go this route.
The stock aluminum rims can look awesome with a lot of hard labor to get them to that point. Then a weeks worth of riding and your back to the same routine. Aluminum is porous..........brake pad dust, road grime, etc gets into the porous aluminum rim and it requires a lot of work to get them looking good again.
That's the point of the chrome rims or powder coating.........one simple wipe with damp rag and they are spotless. Never any labor intensive polishing or scrubbing.
I had the chrome rims on my '01 for 5 years and when I sold the bike they looked as good as the day I had them chromed.........all with one simple wipe of a damp rag.
It's one of the first things I did to my 2009.

Here's a couple of more pics for Laen.........:thumbup:

H

·
0 Posts
Wow, I love those chrome wheels. Let me ask this, does the money ever stop going out with these goldiwngs? It's like I've had another kid! Seriously, I think that is a wonderful upgrade, and what a great looking improvement.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I tried them on my 1500 years ago. Took them off because you could not clean the rim real good right next to the trim and if you ride in dirty conditions like I did the rims will pit. Not pretty and not practical to take them off to clean.

Be aware of chrome and salt. A friend had his wheels chromed right out of the dealers and after 3 yrs the chrome is liftine in the tight areas where valve stem is and spokes meet the wheel. He does also ride in less than idea conditions and not able to clean them after evcery ride but that is why he got them chromed in the first place. Protection. Expensive lesson for him. Your experience may vary.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

I'll second what Brian said..

I am a neat freak and all of my wings were bike show quality..
I had my rims polished to look like chrome too..But enough is enough with the polishing of the wheels..To do the job without scrapping up my knuckles,I had to remove the wheels and rotors to get them the way (look like chrome) I wanted..

15 minutes now with soap and water and I'm putting on my gear to go riding..

For those who don't want the chrome look,you can go the powder coating route..I've seen some nice looking two toned wheels too..

Polishing is old school these days!

Brian..Please excuse poor confused laen,He just doesn't get what LIMNCS really means. :shrug:
LIMNCS = Let's Install More New Chrome Society. :biker:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A simple go chrome , not accents would have been fine. Now:cry: I can't get the chrome wheels off of my mind..thanks a bunch guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts