GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a set of chrome wheels for my 2010 GL1800. The stock wheels are starting to stain just like the one's on my VTX1800. I know the stains can be polished out for the most part but Im looking for a solution that is a little more maintenance free. Any pic's would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Board member Buckskin here on the board sells them, PM him. Also Bulldog on the board sells them, and he has a website but I forgot the name. I think both do an exchange with your rims.

·
Registered
75 Posts
chrome rims???

I had mine Powder Coated almost the same color as my bike,looks great just spray with hose and wipe them with sponge and go ride.I picked a stock color they had but you can get a matched color for your bike. Cost- right at $400.00

·
Registered
2 Posts
chrome wheels

I am looking to buy a set of chrome wheels for my 2010 GL1800. The stock wheels are starting to stain just like the one's on my VTX1800. I know the stains can be polished out for the most part but Im looking for a solution that is a little more maintenance free. Any pic's would be greatly appreciated!!!
a friend of mine had his recromed what was called black crome what really looks good not sure who did it

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got mine from Buckskin earlier this year. I bought a new set of tires and he mounted them on the new wheels. He was very careful and has the right equipment for mounting tires.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know you asked about chrome wheels. I had mine powdered coated like another poster did. I took my wheels to the local powder coating shop. The cost was $50 per wheel and then I had to install new bearings in the front wheel. If I ever buy a new wing that is the first thing I will do. :thumbup:

Willie Wilson WD9FHA
Newburgh, IN
MARC
GWRRA
IBA #22660
DSI #429
Member of the All the Way Gang-2009 Ride for the Relay
http://www.ridefortherelay.com/

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got mine from Buckskin earlier this year. I bought a new set of tires and he mounted them on the new wheels. He was very careful and has the right equipment for mounting tires.
+1! Can't recommend Buckskin's product or mounting work enough. I am completely pleased with them.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
I had my wheels chromed at Classic Components...it's been 6 years now and the chrome still looks great.
Chrome wheels are not for those who don't like to wash their bike often....like after every weekend ride, or you risk pitting, especially with the back wheel, and riding in the winter with any salt on the roads is a no go....any white on the road will ruin the chrome finish if you don't wash the wheels as soon as you get home. Power coating would be a better choice for those who don't want the hassle of washing the bike so often.... chrome wheels do look nice though, but if I were doing it again, I would go with sliver power coat.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Pictures

Had mine done through an exchange program at Wingstuff. Have yet to wash the wheels in 6 years. I do clean them with Original Spray Cleaner Polish about once a month, still look great! Except for the rotor covers getting in the way, cleaning the chrome is much easier than the OEM wheel finish!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts