GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick ride over Chuckanut Drive for lunch at Fairhaven Park.

Great road, but not one I speed on because:

No shoulders
Cliffs
Tourists
Hikers
Blind corners
People crossing centerline
Falling rocks - rocks bigger than your car
Lots of cops
Pass one and there's just another one - plus the double yellow all the way over...

Best bet - go slow and enjoy the scenery..

The video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLOHylixR8Y

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey I was about 4 miles from you at one point today!!!

I rode Silver Lake the other day and could have tossed a stone into your country. Look for the titanium wing or red Harley with a Boulevard in tow and let's RIDE!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Awesome.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Looks like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quick ride over Chuckanut Drive for lunch at Fairhaven Park.

Great road, but not one I speed on because:

No shoulders
Cliffs
Tourists
Hikers
Blind corners
People crossing centerline
Falling rocks - rocks bigger than your car
Lots of cops
You forgot to mention the bicyclists... :eek:4: Still, it's a beautiful ride...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Great pics! Thanks!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Very nice! We ride that every Oyster Run weekend we go to. Who is that on guitar? Great music!
Cliff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
great pictures and fantastic video. I love to ride chuckanut when I am up north. What a great day for it.

Mike in Olympia:cool:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice! We ride that every Oyster Run weekend we go to. Who is that on guitar? Great music!
Cliff.

The artist is Don Ross, and the songs are The First Ride and How To Eat An Avalanche.

If you know of anything similar please post the names/album titles.

:yes1:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Bob, that is a very good ride, I did it last fall after I came back down from the top of baker before heading south...

Ya did good, made me feel like I was there again, thanks for posting it, :thumbup: :thumbup: I guess I was real lucky, I didn't run into as much traffic as you did, lost more fun with out it...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Stunning!

Bob, did you really have to post those pics? I am sitting here covered in goose bumps! I am having serious thoughts of relocating to that specific area, some incredible scenery and riding out there!!! Problem is I am still ten or so years away from retirement. Probably a dumb question but how is the job market out there in general?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob, did you really have to post those pics? I am sitting here covered in goose bumps! I am having serious thoughts of relocating to that specific area, some incredible scenery and riding out there!!! Problem is I am still ten or so years away from retirement. Probably a dumb question but how is the job market out there in general?

Pretty smart question if you're considering coming this way.

Much better than a good part of the country I'd say - really depends on where you want to live and what you want to do.

I live out on Whidbey so the market is really tiny. Once I retire from the military here in a couple of months I'll most likely work off Island if I choose to work at all.

I have to agree about the scenery and the riding. So many great roads and not a lot of traffic anywhere unless you get around the big metro areas.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk specifics. Cost of living isn't bad (compared to other places I've lived) and houses are priced to sell out here.

YOU NEED TO MOVE HERE!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob, that is a very good ride, I did it last fall after I came back down from the top of baker before heading south...

Ya did good, made me feel like I was there again, thanks for posting it, :thumbup: :thumbup: I guess I was real lucky, I didn't run into as much traffic as you did, lost more fun with out it...
Thank you sir! You made my day.

We ride it several times a month and this particular ride was on the weekend. Bad juju up there over the weekend. :eek:4:

It can be a fun road but we putt when we go over. Lots of other great roads to ramp it up around here. Chuckanut is for viewing for us these days and we love Fairhaven Park for lunches.

Baker highway is awesome.. We were up there for a bit thee other day on our way to Silver Lake. We run Higway 9 to Baker Highway to Silver Lake Road. Amazing scenery. There's a pullout right at the base of Mount Shuksan on 9 that makes for a great photo backdrop.

I shot the below the first year we moved up here. It's the pullout at the reflecting lakes. Hope you got to see it when you were up there. We're standing on Mount Baker shooting Mount Shuksan. Shuksan is 9100 feet.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You forgot to mention the bicyclists... :eek:4: Still, it's a beautiful ride...
You're right.

They're everywhere up here. It's hilarious. We'll be out in the mountains somewhere miles from anywhere and come across bicyclist after bicyclist and wonder how long they've been pedaling to get where they are.

They aren't deterred by big hills, I can tell you that much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts