GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to how many of you back East are dealing with the Cicadas and riding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just curious as to how many of you back East are dealing with the Cicadas and riding.
They’re terrible. I did about 120 miles on Saturday and I lost count of the number of them that bounced off the windshield and my helmet visor. Took me an hour to clean the shields and pick all of the dead ones out of the radiator bays. Pulled about eight of them out of there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
They’re terrible. I did about 120 miles on Saturday and I lost count of the number of them that bounced off the windshield and my helmet visor. Took me an hour to clean the shields and pick all of the dead ones out of the radiator bays. Pulled about eight of them out of there.
Location? 😏

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I must live a sheltered life as I had no idea what the heck these were......had to look them up.
They probably don’t like the Minnesota Winter or our road construction. ;)

Believe I’ve heard them in my travels though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Our annual cicada invasion has not started here in SW Missouri yet, but I did spy a few fire flies (finally) two nights ago. The lightning bugs are sometimes here by mid-May, but seem kind of late this year. We haven't seen very many junebugs yet either for some reason. Mayhaps our deep-freeze in February killed a bunch of their larvae?

·
IronMan
18,046 Posts
NOTHING IN FLORIDA ! THINK LOVE BUGS HAVE ALL THE LAND PLOTS TAKEN UP :)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Very bad near Washington DC. They’ll be around for another 3 weeks, then they’re gone for 17 years

Reactions: Rhys

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in northern Virginia an hour west of DC. Their not to bad yet. Killed a bunch in the car, only a couple on a bike. Until today I finally caught one on my left cheek on my Wing. Then six hours later another face shot while on my Cub. I bought extra face shields just for this reason. But it's been so hot I've been riding openface. Starting tomorrow I'll have the shield on, they hurt.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Have not seen any here in KY

·
Registered
369 Posts
Haven't seen or heard any, but I just may have jinxed myself.

Charleston, SC

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
Cicadas are not an annual event since they only appear every 17 years.
And if/when they're in your area you will know it!
Other broods are in other years.
Some broods are on a 13 year cycle and some on a 17 year cycle.

Different broods have different ranges.

Some areas have more than one brood.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Pretty thick in west central Indiana. The sound will drive you nuts when you go outside.

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
None in Charlotte.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cicadas are not an annual event since they only appear every 17 years.
And if/when they're in your area you will know it!
Au contraire mon frere, there are annual species of cicadas in most, if not every state.

"Annual cicada species are those that arrive every year (annually). In the U.S.A., each continental state has at least 4 species of cicadas. California as over 80. "

Again, it's still early to see any of our annual cicada's here in SW MO. Some years there are far more present than in other years, but we usually have quite a few. Many years ago, back when I still lived in Kansas, we had a year in which we saw one of the smaller reddish brown 14-17 year species come up, and it was quite an annoyance. I couldn't mow the grass near the edge of the woods without shielding myself from the accidental collisions when all of them spooked at the sound of my little John Deere mower. If memory serves, those began sometime in mid July and ran through August and even into September.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I found three exoskeletons out back, but no noise and no live bugs. Perhaps we don't have the 17 year periodic cicadas. North Central KY.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I remember their horrid sound every evening this time of year every year. I lived in Alabama a few years short of 17, and if I only heard them for a single year, I would have long forgotten them, especially since I was 4 when we left Calif. heading that direction. If they only come out after 17 years, there are 17 annual broods with the next brood to come out the following year. The only thing that I could accept as an excuse is there is a 17 year boom with 5-10 times the usual outbreak of them.
Also, I am not confusing cricket chirps...... I searched for cicadas sounds, and yes, that is indeed the horrid sound I remember.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts