GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a cigarette lighter in my left fairing pocket. I used 12ga
wire with a 20amp spade fuse. I ran the hot side straigt from the +on batt.
I ran the grd from the - on the batt. The fuse is on the + side right next
to the battery. The problem i am having is i only get about 20-30 lights
before the 20 amp fuse blows. I replace the fuse and it repeats itself.
Why does this keep happening. I have changed out the lighter and it makes no difference, i have also replaced the entire wiring....no difference.
What gives?? can someone that has installed a lighter please comment
on this, it's driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Shouldn't do that, most lighters in car and trucks are fused at 10 amps.
You must have a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Using 12 ga wire and a 20 amp fuse should be plenty of power to any common cigarette lighter. Biker John may be right because if you have a loose connection, the voltage loss across that point will result in the lighter drawing more current.

It is possible that the lighter draws at or above 20 amps. Either look at the package that the cigarette lighter came in or look it up on the web to see how much current (in ampheres or "amps") that sucker draws. If it is anywhere close to 20 amps, then your 20 amp supply is not enough. You should use a supply that is capable of supplying at least 5 amps more than the lighter required draw.

Fuses are simply strips of metal (sometimes in the form of a round wire) that are carefully "tuned" to burn open when the current rating is exceeded. That metal is subject to fatigue, sort of like when an incandescent light is turned on and off repeatedly. If the lighter is drawing near 20 amps, the metal in the fuse can get weaker over time and blow with slightly less than 20 amp draw.

You can also buy fuses in either fast or slow blow varieties. The fast blow is to protect sensitive electronic circuits such as ICs. The slow blow will allow short over current draws, like when a motor is starting up, without blowing, but they will blow if the current draw exceeds the limit for a longer period of time. Putting in a slow blow fuse may fix your problem without creating a safety hazard or replacing your supply wiring.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Possible that the lighter element has an intermittent short to ground. Is the lighter the one that was purchased with the socket?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Is it possible the back of the lighter is making ground to the radiator or frame? The last time I had a lighter the back of it was not covered. The hot wire was bolted to a stud in the middle of the lighter. The stud could of touched something and grounded. I stopped using a lighter in the pocket because there was not much room for it after I added a bunch of other stuff.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I Put a Waterproof Lighter that I finally found at Motorcycle Superstore, on mine. It is wired just like yours and I have had no trouble with it.

Prior to that, I had a regular car lighter that would occasionally get water in it and blow the fuse.

Make sure the hot wire & terminal are not contacting metal somewhere, that is creating a dead short. You are pretty close to the radiators on the left side. Also make sure the wires coming off the Ground and Hot terminals are not touching each other.

Could be also, if it is a cheap lighter, the inner and outer housings are not insulated from each other which will also cause a short.

I put mine in the right side in the panel next to the right compartment lock for more clearance.

It's PITA to have to reach over, or put it on Cruise to light a cigarette, without getting off the throttle. But better than a Zippo.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have installed a cigarette lighter in my left fairing pocket. I used 12ga
wire with a 20amp spade fuse. I ran the hot side straigt from the +on batt.
I ran the grd from the - on the batt. The fuse is on the + side right next
to the battery. The problem i am having is i only get about 20-30 lights
before the 20 amp fuse blows. I replace the fuse and it repeats itself.
Why does this keep happening. I have changed out the lighter and it makes no difference, i have also replaced the entire wiring....no difference.
What gives?? can someone that has installed a lighter please comment
on this, it's driving me crazy!!
I have been having the same problem. It started about 3 or 4 days ago when I decided I'd replace the old lighter with a new one. The first two came from Autozone and the third came from Advance Auto. All 3 were "Victor" brand and in all 3 cases I purchased the receptacle and the lighter element in one package.

What I have found thus far is that when the lighter is pushed in, the heating element hits one of the two prongs that are intended to hold the lighter in until it gets hot, and that blows the fuse. In other words, the assembly is not guiding the lighter straight in and causes a short. If you compare the element (the part that glows orange) I believe you'll find the fins bent/dented as a result of it hitting the pron(s).

Please come back and post if you find this to be the case. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys....but let me run this by you. Why can i use the
lighter about 20-30 times before it blows? It seems like if i had a dead
short and when i replaced the fuse, when i would push the lighter in
it would blow instantly....but it dosen't, its takes 20-30 times:confused:
before it blows....no matter how many times i replace the fuse it
will last 20-30 times, thats what is puzzeling to me.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for all the replys....but let me run this by you. Why can i use the
lighter about 20-30 times before it blows? It seems like if i had a dead
short and when i replaced the fuse, when i would push the lighter in
it would blow instantly....but it dosen't, its takes 20-30 times:confused:
before it blows....no matter how many times i replace the fuse it
will last 20-30 times, thats what is puzzeling to me.
IMO the times it works without blowing the fuse, the heating element lines up and goes in between the prongs like it should. The time it blows the fuse, it didn't line up. I am experiencing the exact same thing...works several times then blows fuse. BTW, I just came back from NAPA where I purchased another whole unit (receptacle and lighter). Not only did it cost a couple of bucks less than Autozone and Advance Auto, it appears to be of much better quality. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Get a lighter extension. One is made that is handheld and has a map light in it as well.

I believe they are made by Drag Specialities. About $10 and works really well.
Has a coil cord for reach and a small heating element in it for lighting the smokes.

Just plug it in and enjoy.

I have quick smoking a thousand times, it is easy. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts