GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week will be doing a tour around Lake Huron from my home in Tawas City, MI which sets on the shores of the Lake.

Has anyone here taken the ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory Ontario? Do you need reservations during the week? Thanks for responses. I have been meaning to make this 2-3 day trip forever and now it's happening. Riding with a fellow board member. :thumbup:

Fred

·
Registered
87 Posts
Next week will be doing a tour around Lake Huron from my home in Tawas City, MI which sets on the shores of the Lake.

Has anyone here taken the ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory Ontario? Do you need reservations during the week? Thanks for responses. I have been meaning to make this 2-3 day trip forever and now it's happening. Riding with a fellow board member. :thumbup:

Fred
I have taken the ferry 3 times in the last 5 years without resverations.
If you have a schedule to keep make a reservation You can phone it in 1-800-265-3163 ( $10 fee for motorcycles).
If you dont mind sitting around for a couple of hours while you wait for the next one you can wing it.
You can check availability at:
http://www.chicheemaun.com/chi/english/CheckAvailability2.asp
If you have to wait for the next ferry (check availability at Espinola, north side, or Owen Sound, south side) it is faster to go around Georgian Bay through Parry Sound.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken the ferry 3 times in the last 5 years without resverations.
If you have a schedule to keep make a reservation You can phone it in 1-800-265-3163 ( $10 fee for motorcycles).
If you dont mind sitting around for a couple of hours while you wait for the next one you can wing it.
You can check availability at:
http://www.chicheemaun.com/chi/english/CheckAvailability2.asp
If you have to wait for the next ferry (check availability at Espinola, north side, or Owen Sound, south side) it is faster to go around Georgian Bay through Parry Sound.

Thanks, just the info I was looking for. We have no schedule so will just wing it. What the heck we're both retired and a few hours either way is no concern these days. Thanks again for a helpful response.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Fred,
Enjoy the trip, I'm going up that way (I hope) in a couple of weeks. Last time I went went around Georgian Bay and enjoyed going that way. Have a good trip.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left Monday morning 7 AM and pulled into my drive at 9 PM on Tuesday. It was a great ride. The Ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory was very enjoyable. Got the bike aboard and tied down and then had a great breakfast at the Ferry cafe. Met some Canadian riders at the Ferry and had a good time talking to them. Glad I did the ride. Total of 863 Miles.

Customs both going into Canada and returning to the USA was without incident. The Canadian agent was friendly crossing into Canada at the Sault. as was the US agent coming back into the US at the Bluewater bridge.

Fred

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
That's the way the border crossing's usually go. But it is possible to get someone having a bad day when crossing in either direction.:eek:4:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts