GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Maybe they will enforce the no cell phones when driving law here. The city could afford some of the mayor's assinine ideas.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
If cities and states enforced the EPA noise pollution laws already on the books it would be a gold mine for them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Paying for the union/banking payback stimulis one ticket at a time

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Paying for the union/banking payback stimulis one ticket at a time
Nothing wrong with Unions..... :cool:

It's these dang traffic stoplight cameras that tick me off.
You don't even have to be driving your car to receive a ticket this way.

:wrong:

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
You should read up on the "Driver Responsibility Laws" more and more states are enacting.

Basically, it means if you live in state that has these laws, and travel to another state and get a ticket, you pay a fine in the state you got the ticket in, and when they forward the info to your home state, you get another fine in you home state. I think they officially call it a "tax" to avoid the double jeopardy clause.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
California enacted a new law about a year ago that makes each driver turn on the head lights any time the wipers are used. This includes fog. We've just finished a pretty healthy rain storm of a couple days and while I was driving to and from work, basically in early morning, I noticed probably 20-30 cars without head lights on in the rain. Those were just the ones that were coming at me, either on a two lane road or the freeway. I suspect the CHP has lots to do during rainy situations but, if they just enforced that law just a little bit, #1, they'd increase revenue a serious amount and, they'd make situations out on the road a lot safer 'cause you could see those idiots.

I can't believe there's still NEW CARS AND TRUCKS that don't have daytime running lights. At least those eight-balls that don't turn their lights on in fog or rainy situations won't have to THINK! OK, enough venting.
Scott

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have to take notice with the part that complained Officers were being instructed to write at least one ticket a day. Personally as a retired LEO, if anyone drives around for eight to ten hours and can't see at least one violation that deserves a ticket, get off my shift. Where I worked we were told that we should be able to make at least three stops a shift, and it could be for a verbal warning, written warning, correction notice, or a ticket (criminal or infraction). That requirement could be filled usually just from collision reports.

Another quote from the article:
"They're making lawbreakers out of people who normally aren't," she said. "Their manpower could be better spent in other areas."
I am not sure if they mean the law/police are making people speed who were not normally speeding before, or something else. Personally, I think they were lawbreakers before who just weren't caught. When a motorist started to tell me that "I" was causing their insurance to go up, I stopped them and reminded them that I was never in their car and had nothing to do with their driving decisions. The person responsible was behind the steering wheel.

We all make decisions, which all have consequences.
I guess I am off the Christmas card list for many.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tickets

WinginHunk, :agree: I probably won't send you a Christmas card either but I do agree with you. My kid's a City Cop on the Gang Unit and does not write many tickets he's kind a busy with other stuff if you know what I mean. But he tells me that if you pass the four step test here you probably won't get a ticket unless you've done something stupid. The first three are Lic, Reg, and Insurance, all valid of coarse and are basically polite and you'll probably only get a warning. They are people like us with emotions and when given respect you'll usually get it back. Oh what the h*ll, I just might send you a Card after all. I know what you had to do and what you had to put up with and I solute you. :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Traffic laws are for making money. That is why they are written the way they are. If they were more in line with reality far fewer people would be in violation on a regular basis.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I wish municipalities would enforce - illegal drug activity.. murder & rape
as diligently as they do -- traffic fines... i bet the comminities would be a lot safer...

cosmic

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm confused. Some of the same writers complain how wreckless "cagers" are and when the government does something about it, more complaints. What's up with that. I'm happy the cameras are up and wish there were more because there would be less accidents and just maybe less of our friends being killed and/or maimed. If we all drove safely, there would be a lot fewer accidents. Too bad there is not an DUI camera-that would really same lives. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
:agree:This fines are just catching up to what it costs up here in canada. If you are parked in front of a fire hydrant they tow you and ticket you. The tickets down there were too cheap. heck its 103 dollars for not wearing a seatbelt here

·
Registered
819 Posts
You should read up on the "Driver Responsibility Laws" more and more states are enacting.

Basically, it means if you live in state that has these laws, and travel to another state and get a ticket, you pay a fine in the state you got the ticket in, and when they forward the info to your home state, you get another fine in you home state. I think they officially call it a "tax" to avoid the double jeopardy clause.
What I've seen (Michigan, Texas) is that these laws don't kick in until you accumulate a certain amount of points, or are caught driving with no license or no insurance. Or drunk. One speeding ticket for 10 over generally won't kick it in.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What really bothers me is the hypocrisy of it all. Cops do rolling stops at stop signs, and run through yellows lights that just turn red just like the rest of us do occasionally. Who is really a 100% perfect driver? So should everyone get their driving record marked because of a mistake here or there? The law is the law, but common sense is still common sense. I don't know anyone who didn't do more than 55 when that was the national speed limit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts