GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at both helmets at the local Honda shop today - the CL-MAX seemed like a decent helmet, BUT didn't seem to have a good place to place the helmet speakers.

The SY-MAX seemed a good bit better for speaker placement. Comments from anyone with experience with either help?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I have a couple of SY-Max helmets. I put J&M headsets in - no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I made the mistake of buying the CL-Max. nice enough helmet but the speakers just don't fit right. Took the cheek pads apart and tried to cut out holes for the speakers. Got then in but could use a tad more space as they are always rubbing my ears. J&M will tell you that the Symax will be a beter fit for thier head sets. Bottom line is go with the Symax.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have had both the CL-Max and the Sy-Max. The CL was OK but like the Sy-Max better. The Sy-max is lighter, as stated above the headset speakers fit better, the ventilation is a little better (still not great) and it is not quite as noisy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info -

Brian, I checked the ebay store you mention and they have good prices - just not the size I need - XXL, and I would like silver to match the bike, OR the traditional white helmets would be ok.

73 de Ken H.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have the CL-Max and my bride has the Sy-Max. Put airiders in both helmets. I had to screw with the foam for hours to get the speakers in the CLmax. Hers was a slam dunk.

Symax is the better helmet and worth the $ differential.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Because of me large coconut (XXXL) I had to buy the CL Max for me and the wife. I took the cheek pads out and trimed the styrofoam so the J&M elite speaker fit. I was close to the location where the straps come through, but worked well enough for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
cl max

I have a CL -max and I took out the cheeck pads and compresssed the stryrofoam padding in slightlywith a rounded one inch dowel to make a better pocket for the speakers. They now fit perfect.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have the CL-Max and was also having trouble getting the ear speakers to fit comfortably. I ended up taking the padding out and laying it on a 2 x 4 and taking a ball peen hammer to it and gently compressing the foam lining until I got a good comfortable fit.

My other issue with the CL-Max is every time I try to change visors I end up breaking the part that holds the visor on. Very flimsy cheap little plastic crap that cost $10 to replace. With that experience I ended up buying my wife a Nolan 102 helmet. That will probably be my next helmet also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SYMAX

I just picked up 2 Symax helmets and have EdSets in both. If you call HJC and ask them what modular to use with speakers they will only say Symax.

Plus it's safer and therefore worth the extra coin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts