GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shifts clanck, why is that? I use Amsoil 20-50. They clanck before when I was using 10-40

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Not enough oil? Not shifting fully? Belts/chains not tight enough? Could be lots of things.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
Don't roll off of the throttle completely, make sure you get the clutch all the way in, do all this as quick as possible. :D

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Greydog said:
My shifts clanck, why is that? I use Amsoil 20-50. They clanck before when I was using 10-40
The oil doesn't matter. If you don't shift correctrly, they all will clunk.

Try this - When you shift, don't roll the throttle all the way off. Roll it off just enough so the engine doesn't rev up when you pull in the clutch. Make a quick, firm upshift. If you shift below 1800 RPM, this won't do much good. Above 2000 RPM and you'll get much more quiet, and smooth, shift.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shift Clunk

This is a Honda Trademark! Had it on my VTX and a Valkyrie that I rode. Some of the posted suggestions will help reduce the "clunk" but bottom line is to just get used to it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I find preloading the shifter (have kry heel/toe) and, like others have said, don't let the throttle all the way off. I think I actually shift as the clutch handle is still disengaging.

Don't always get it real smooth when I get sloppy in technique. When you get it right you can hardly hear or feel it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wanderer said:
Greydog said:
The oil doesn't matter. If you don't shift correctrly, they all will clunk.

Try this - When you shift, don't roll the throttle all the way off. Roll it off just enough so the engine doesn't rev up when you pull in the clutch. Make a quick, firm upshift. If you shift below 1800 RPM, this won't do much good. Above 2000 RPM and you'll get much more quiet, and smooth, shift.
Yep, what Wanderer said, although don't pull the clutch lever completely to the handgrip. It takes some practice but pull the clutch about two-thirds of the way. Just to the point where the clutch slips, the transmission will shift easy and smoothly. All this should be done quickly and the bike will shift very smooth and quiet. Preloading the shifter is not necessary or recommended.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I keep a little pressure on the shifter when I'm accelorating or decelorating. Then when I pull in the clutch as I back off on the throttle it shifts smooth as glass from the pressure I'm putting on the shifter. "Try it you'll like it"

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Just a word of caution for what it is worth, pre-loading the shifter can and will bend the shift fork. It not recommended on the wing. I know a lot of people do it but it is not a good thing, Honda has straight cut gears in the wing and they are huge ugly gears, they all clunk. :croc: :biker: :biker: :croc:

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I've found you just can't be lazy with the shift. Use some authority when shifting. :shock:

later..Randy

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
Just a note, it won't hurt to put a little pressure on the shifter. It is not going to put pressure on the shift forks until you exert enough force to rotate the shift drum. The shift drum is what actually moves the shift forks and dogs. The gears are always meshed and the clunk is caused by the straight cut dogs. :D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
TechDude I had an 03 that had been in our shop twice for tranny problems, the shift forks were bent both times, the guy was a big pre load advocate, it can and will happen.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
He must have really been riding on the shifter, like I said damage can occur if enough force is put on it to actually be nudging the drum. Of course he could have just been really tough on the thing all the time. :shock: I personally don't preload the shifter, I've found that keeping a little throttle on and making all shifts quick and positive results with smooth shifts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts