GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To vs Too vs Two

This is a big one. I see this mistake all the time, way more than would typically be expected from typos alone.
“To” is one of the more widely used words in the English language and has eight million several different definitions and parts of speech. In its most common contexts, it is used as part of infinitive verb phrases, such as in “to eat” or “to go,” and as a preposition with widespread connotations, such as in “Let’s go to the store,” “Give it to me,” “The Cubs are down 84 to 11 to the Pirates,” or “To this day, I hate mushrooms.” Think of it as the default of the two.
“Too,” on the other hand, is different. It can mean “in addition,” as in “I want to go, too!” or “You two hate to eat mushrooms and onions, too,” or can refer to excess or degree, as in “You are too funny!” “I drank too much last night,” or “Tom wasn’t too amused by Hannah’s theatrics.”
“Two” is simply the number 2, exclusively. (On a related note, in formal writing, numbers between 0-10 (some say 0-9, but it’s a typically a matter of preference) should be written out, as in “I have two siblings,” “There is zero doubt in my mind,” or “I was ten-and-a-half when the younger of the two was born,” while larger numbers are typically written in numerical format, as in “There are 8,459 other things I should be doing right now,” or “Dude, I like totally drank like 12 beers last weekend.”)
When in doubt, use “to,” but remember that if you’re meaning to say “in addition” or “to an excessive degree,” use “too.” If you’re referring to a numerical amount, use “two.”

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thank you. I'd like your thoughts on the use of "your" vs "you're".

·
Registered
310 Posts
Whoa..............too much time on your hands to seriously think that we don't know the meaning of to, or to put two and two together.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
“To” is one of the more widely used words in the English language and has eight million several different definitions and parts of speech.
Glad you have to, too and two figured out...How about some grammar and sentence structure practice next? ;)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What??

And we wonder why California is in trouble and sucking the rest of the country down the drain with it.............

In 1850, 159 years ago......
California became a state
The people had no electricity.
The state had no money.
Almost everyone spoke Spanish.
There were gunfights in the streets.
So basically nothing has changed except the women had real breasts and the men didn't hold hands.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
And how is this motorcycle related:shrug:

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
To vs Too vs Two

This is a big one. I see this mistake all the time, way more than would typically be expected from typos alone.
“To” is one of the more widely used words in the English language and has eight million several different definitions and parts of speech. In its most common contexts, it is used as part of infinitive verb phrases, such as in “to eat” or “to go,” and as a preposition with widespread connotations, such as in “Let’s go to the store,” “Give it to me,” “The Cubs are down 84 to 11 to the Pirates,” or “To this day, I hate mushrooms.” Think of it as the default of the two.
“Too,” on the other hand, is different. It can mean “in addition,” as in “I want to go, too!” or “You two hate to eat mushrooms and onions, too,” or can refer to excess or degree, as in “You are too funny!” “I drank too much last night,” or “Tom wasn’t too amused by Hannah’s theatrics.”
“Two” is simply the number 2, exclusively. (On a related note, in formal writing, numbers between 0-10 (some say 0-9, but it’s a typically a matter of preference) should be written out, as in “I have two siblings,” “There is zero doubt in my mind,” or “I was ten-and-a-half when the younger of the two was born,” while larger numbers are typically written in numerical format, as in “There are 8,459 other things I should be doing right now,” or “Dude, I like totally drank like 12 beers last weekend.”)
When in doubt, use “to,” but remember that if you’re meaning to say “in addition” or “to an excessive degree,” use “too.” If you’re referring to a numerical amount, use “two.”
And winter wears on. :joke:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
OK....you can give the English class......but I'm the math instructior around here buddy!!!!:shock: I mean it to.....uh too.......uh.....I mean it dude!

·
Registered
154 Posts
WOW I think winter is getting the best of you-all. Go out and ride, why waist time reading people's mistakes on their grammar.
:wrong:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
WOW I think winter is getting the best of you-all. Go out and ride, why waist time reading people's mistakes on their grammar.
Exactly!! Speaking of waist, since I have been running, mine is down to 31 inches...woot! ;)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts