GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Oct 2006 MCN / MC Bulletins:
Wing Wobble is now the object of a Class Action suit filed July 24 in Federal District Court by a certain Wing Owner Dennis Gribbins and Seattle-based law firm Hagens Berman Sobol Shaprio for all Wings manufactured since 2001.
Suit Claims Honda new about problem but failed to either fix it or to warn customers. Suit claims Wobble is a design flaw and increases risk of crash.
Apparently, Gribbins wrote to Honda and complained. Honda's response was that the bike had two handle bars so keep two hands on them.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Tommy Gunn said:
Honda's response was that the bike had two handle bars so keep two hands on them.
That's my response too. Greedy, scumbag lawyers... :evil:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Law Suit

Without getting into the whole arguement of the many different agendas of people who file law suits . I keep reading many post on this board about the "Wobble" issue. It appears that changing the neck bearings is a ligitimate fix for this "Problem".

My questions are:

1. Why should the buyer of the bike have to make this change?

If there is a real issue ant tapered neck bearing are truly a" fix " then
honda sould use them as original equipment. It is my understandin that
there is no alteration required in order for the tapered bearings to be
installed

2. Is there some cost to the bearing chang that would signicantly raise the
price of the bike?

I don't think so the fit ths stock set up and cost some where around
thirty bucks - I believe the cost is the dealer profit that would be lost by
the location that makes the change - some where around $175.00 for
the labor

If there is really and issue and the fix is known I don't think a 30 dollar price increase would stop someone from buying a bike the plan to spend 20 grand on anyway.

The big issue here is the cost of a recall to fix the bikes that have already been sold and lawsuits from crash victims and their families who will surly cite the wobble as a contributing cause to the accident - regardless if it was or not

Alot of if's in this post, but if it as simple as it apears to be it a small price (other than other law suits that will follow) that would raise the satisfaction level of their customers

The more I think about it ( andif the wobble issue is a fact) if Honda volunteered to fix it - they may be admitting to possible guilt / responcibility for future damage from accident claims that would be made

A real catch 22 situation

Also if this is all true and honda is just flat out refusing to fix the problem - they should be sued.

I will say - I have a 2005 Goldwing and have no problems with wobble with 15000 miles on the bike and had no problems with a valkyrie with 3 x the miles on it before I traded it for the wing

Jim

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The bike is what the bike is.

I think every bike I have ever owned developed wobble at some point.

Yes, almost every vehicle made could be made better. But is it the responsibility of the manufacturer to make it perfect?

Toyota makes vehicles at every price point. This suit makes me think that an entry level owner should sue to have Lexus quality.

Lawyers suck, for the most part.

Just my opinion. Hal and Lamont probably disagree with me, so don't get pissy with them over what I say.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Tommy Gunn said:
Apparently, Gribbins wrote to Honda and complained. Honda's response was that the bike had two handle bars so keep two hands on them.
Well, everything I've ever read about motorcycling (DMV handbooks, owner's manuals, etc.) says to keep both hands on the handlebars. So Honda (in my opinion) IS correct.

The GL1800 like other bikes, was designed to be ridden with both hands on the grips. If someone chooses to operate the bike in a manner OTHER than designed, it is NOT the fault of the manufacturer.

Since the wobble seems to be related to tire pressure, brand of tires, wear on the tires, whether the neck bearings have been tightened to spec, etc. it'd be pretty hard to lay the liability on any one company. Then there's the fact that it seems that MOST people haven't experienced it.

I certainly hope that this guy got his lawyers to file on a contingency basis and isn't out any money.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
JP3 said:
The bike is what the bike is.

I think every bike I have ever owned developed wobble at some point.

Yes, almost every vehicle made could be made better. But is it the responsibility of the manufacturer to make it perfect?

Toyota makes vehicles at every price point. This suit makes me think that an entry level owner should sue to have Lexus quality.

Lawyers suck, for the most part.

Just my opinion. Hal and Lamont probably disagree with me, so don't get pissy with them over what I say..
Unlike you, I've never had a bike with a wobble in over three dozen years of riding. I agree that things can always be made better. While I don't believe the manufacturer should be held to the standard of 'perfection' in their products, I think it IS their responsibility to make products which are safe. From what I've read, those who have experienced the wobble do not believe it to be a 'safe' occurence.

Your Toyota argument makes no sense to me on two different levels. Honda makes lesser bikes than the Goldwing. The Wing is their Lexus, if you will. Also, someone buying a Tercel (or whatever model might qualify as entry level) should not have to accept a dangerous front end wobble in it just because they didn't buy a Lexus. Minimum safety standards apply without regard to price.

Lastly, as to your comment about lawyers, they think you suck, too.... for the most part... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
The Wing is their Lexus, if you will. Also, someone buying a Tercel (or whatever model might qualify as entry level) should not have to accept a dangerous front end wobble in it just because they didn't buy a Lexus. Minimum safety standards apply without regard to price.
I'd have to say "AMEN" to that comment. WHY should anyone, Car OR Motorcycle have to put up with a 'wobble', especially if it's brand new.

My Old CB 750C (1980 model) was purchased in 1981 and I sold it in May 2005. Never had a wobble either. Hope I never have to see one on any bike of mine, and I feel for those who have to

1. Put up with it

2. Shell out the $$$ to fix it, especially if it's under warrenty.

Just my nickel. :idea:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
hmmmmmmmm......

I have 11,000 on my 2005 and I can ride it from 75 to 35 with no hands on the bars? Hmmmm must be a defect that they forgot to build into the one I was lucky enough to get huh?

Ya know the difference between a lawyer and a sperm cell?

The sperm cell has a one in 500,000 chance of becoming a human being. :lol:

Denny

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
evidently some Wings have a severe wobble even with hands on the handle bars.

P

·
0 Posts
Just to make it clear, the wobble can happen with both hands on the handle bars. The argument does not hold true for all Wing wobbles that it only happens when both hands are not used, but is a cause in some instants.
But remember, there are more than a dozen buttons on the bike that are made so they function when riding. On-the-fly adjustments of the radio, vents and temperature checks are a built in feature of the Wing. It is not very realistic, especially knowing Wingers have added other things for years, to assume a hands-on at all times condition. The Wing itself has developed and grown from the add-on's, evolved from owners.
My Wing wobbles when making slow left hand turns when the bars are at the stops even with both hands and I have had it (prior to all-balls, progressive springs and superbrace) at freeway speeds.
Yes, there is a small wobble at 30-40 mph range without both hands on the bars, and I don't believe that one is either dangerous nor abnormal for motorcycles.
But there are other coditions where the wobble happens, with both hands on the bars.
There's my 2 cents worth.

Pat

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My 05 had the so called wobble when decel from 40 to 30, I checked it many times with both hands off the bar and it never got dangerous just a slight wobble. I changed tires at about 8000 miles and it went away, may come back who knows. Tires were Metz 880s. My problem is when I stop if I don't put my foot down it falls over, Oh yeah it is a motorcycle ain't it. :lol: :oops:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Yawn...

yes, generally lawyers are all scum and look to see who might have the deepest pockets at any given time..

If tobacco companies can be sued by the stupid people that suck on their product and get sick then all bets are off....anyone can sue anyone about anything and get some $$$

That said, after reading all the posts, I am convinced that

1) keepeing a two wheeled vehicle upright and balanced involved some complicated physics

2) every moptorcycle has some kind of anomoly (indeed every product does)

3) if one carefully and correctly assembles the Goldwing with good, balanced tires etc the "wobble" is not an issue....there may be some slight wobble at certain speeds but it certainly does not impact the operation of the motorcycle

4) keep your darn hands on the handlebars where they belong

·
Registered
605 Posts
The lawyer I used to have no longer takes individual cases he is now strictly a class action law suit firm. I guess that should tell me something.

Anyway, if the law suit is successful the lawyers will get the lions share and the rest will be left with their check for $1.79 with which they can buy a 5 year supply of crush washers.

My 04 did have a slight wobble even with both hands on the bars. I installed the all-balls and no longer have a wobble. I could have left it alone but it was my decision to change and I am glad I did. I would never drive without both hands on the bars but I guess I can now and I am really looking forward to it. (Not) As someone above said something to the effect that “if Honda were to change to all-balls type bearings it would be seen as an admission of a problem and we all know where it would go from there”……..

I will leave all the hand wringing to someone else. I just enjoy riding my wing….

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
BigD said:
Anyway, if the law suit is successful the lawyers will get the lions share and the rest will be left with their check for $1.79 with which they can buy a 5 year supply of crush washers.
That's true!!!

I had no wobble with the D250s and have a slight wobble with the Metzlers. I also have a "squirmy" feel with the rear. It appears that the wobble is cause by a combination of things including bearings, suspension, and, especially, tires. In my case it seems the tires are the key. It'll be hard to hold Honda responsible when changing tires either corrects it or instigates it.

Andy

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Everytime I change my tires the wobble is fixed. It slowly reappears as the tires wear. Hmmmm.......big ass motorcycle that handles great? Maybe the chicken sh!t wobble whiners that feel litigation is the way need to take up a safer hobby.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Art H. said:
evidently some Wings have a severe wobble even with hands on the handle bars.
I have heard of maybe 3 or 4 with that on here. That is not the typical wing wobble that everyone complains about. If you have a wobble with both hands on the bars then you have a legitimate complaint. Most everyone here does not have a legitimate complaint. If the wobble only happens when both hands are off the bars then that is not HONDA's fault. Just keep your hands on the bars during those speeds.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts