GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that I have not read all messages on this site so I can't say if this was noted here prior. But I received an email from a friend advising of a class action suit against Honda regarding the problem with low speed wobbles. The attached url explains in detail.

http://www.hbsslaw.com/honda_lawsuit.htm

Might be worth checking out.

Take Care;
Bud

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've offered to testify. My 02 has 35K and never wobbled. Strangely, they seem to have ignored my offer.

markie

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
My Wing was perfect! ... That is, it was, until the day I was putting my gloves on while I was slowing down for a red light. At around 35 mph my front end started to wobble! I'm pissed, because now I have to keep my hands on the handlebars when I slow down. :(

As long as at least one of my hands is touching the handlebars there is no indication whatsoever that my bike has this major flaw! I think it's ridiculous that Honda expects us to use the handlebars while coming to a stop, so it’s about time that some lawyers finally decided to do something about it! I know the lawyers get most of the money, but where do I sign up? I think I'll use my share to buy an extra valve stem to use at my next tire change.

:wink:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Wore out tires cause it, Get used to it !!
And some out of round or distorted new tires will do it also !!
Some times a new front will fix it, and some times it takes both !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I a class action case. They notify everyone that has a title. Has anyone been notified? No. I think this is all talk. So just enjoy your great Gold Wing. Mine just wobbles to the music a little bit. Smile

·
Registered
168 Posts
I see that you guys have not found the Anti-Wobble switch yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please forgive me for posting the message.

Nowhere did I say that my 2005 goldwing wobbled. It never has. I don't ride without the use of hands. Never have. I don't agree with suing everyone for everything that pisses you off. Never have. I simply posted a message containing a url that I thought some who have been talking about the wobble would enjoy reading.

Bud Dyer
Auburn, WA
Chapter "D" GWTA
Northwest Wings Motorcycle Drill Team

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My 02 has 67,000 plus miles on her and for the first 50,000 miles I did not have any wobble if I took both hands off the bars when slowing down. I tested for this after all the discussions about it, but I don't understand the rational of riding like this. To me it is unsafe riding.
Since wearing out the original OEM tires, I have used only Metzler tires, running at 40 psi front & 42 psi rear.
Now since about 50,000 miles if when slowing down from 35-40 MPH if I take both hands off of the handlebars there is a slight wobble. However, in real life riding, I do not take my hands off the handlebars when slowing down from any speed. I don't understand why anyone would remove both their hands from the bars while slowing down. But during my testing, I found that just touching one bar would stop the wobble.
My suggestion for stopping the wobble would be to keep your hands where they belong when slowing down, on the handlebars.

W

·
0 Posts
Bud Dyer said:
I don't agree with suing everyone for everything that pisses you off. Never have.
Bud,

Now you'll NEVER make any points with our lawyers out there if you keep talking like this................ :roll:
How do you expect them to make a living if everyone acted like that???

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point. I'll have to get out the phone book and find a lawyer just in case.

Bud

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Bud Dyer said:
Please forgive me for posting the message.
No worrys man.. There was a troll on the boards back in July that was fishing for business and posting a website for the "class action suit"... It was an obvious fishing expedition to line the pockets of some scumbag law firm.. That's why you go the reaction you did..
Enjoy

·
Registered
902 Posts
KA7W wrote:
Wore out tires cause it, Get used to it !!
And some out of round or distorted new tires will do it also !!
Some times a new front will fix it, and some times it takes both !!
I'd say this is a good, short summation of the wobble and I agree. A stronger, less flexing front end is probably the only way to eliminate the condition caused by the tire.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
You spend that much money on a motorcycle and you do expect it not to have flaws, such as a decel wobble. Mine had it from new. So did my '01, even when I replaced the old tires with new Metzlers that later delaminated for the guy who bought it from me. My solution? I fixed the problem by installing tapered steering head bearings and properly torquing them down. No more wobble. Instead of spending a great deal of money and putting it into the pockets of lawyers who may or may not be successful in getting Honda to change something that will, undoubtedly, raise the price tag of the Gold Wing, spend it with your favorite dealer such as HDL on a set of tapered steering head bearings and fix the problem instead of just complaining. Or just deal with it and keep your hands on the handlebars as Honds suggests.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Fireball18 said:
... I fixed the problem by installing tapered steering head bearings and properly torquing them down. No more wobble. ....
Do you really NEED to ride at slow speeds without your hands on the handlebars? Why did you think this was a problem that required a solution other than just keeping your hands on the handlebars?

Also, are you SURE the bearings were torqued according to the service manual? The bikes I've checked that have had the bearings replaced seem to have the bearings slightly over-torqued... which was actually what "fixed" their hands-off wobble.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I tried something in my car the other day. I took my hands off the steering wheel, and it followed the crown of the road - damn near hit the curb until I panicked and grabbed a hold of the steering wheel again.

Do you think I can get a lawsuit going against Infiniti for that?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
jjsC6 said:
I tried something in my car the other day. I took my hands off the steering wheel, and it followed the crown of the road - damn near hit the curb until I panicked and grabbed a hold of the steering wheel again.

Maybe you need to replace the steering wheel bearings?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
jjsC6 said:

I think I read where Infiniti had a bunch of improperly installed crush washers that caused this problem. :p :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts