GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any mention of the class action suit that was filed this summer against Honda regarding the wobble in the GL1800. I think it originated in California.
Anybody know what the status is??

Captain D.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
I agree, in the long run the lawyers will be the only ones to win!

Bradford

·
Registered
125 Posts
24 Carat said:
I agree, in the long run the lawyers will be the only ones to win!

Bradford
Just like the frame recall the layers won BIG the rest of us got the shaft :chef2:

·
Registered
605 Posts
CaptainD said:
I can't find any mention of the class action suit that was filed this summer against Honda regarding the wobble in the GL1800. I think it originated in California.
Anybody know what the status is??

Captain D.
Here is a link http://www.hagens-berman.com/honda_lawsuit.htm

Iine up to get your $1.79 cents

·
Registered
707 Posts
Funny but those GL1800 built in 2000 are excluded from the Class Action. Must be because they just simply work.

Reiner

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad I looked at this post and the lawsuit. I have just joined this forum since I am considering buying a Goldwing again (had 2 in the distant past). This looks scary and may turn me away from the Wing. Are you people having this same issue and does it affect all years of GL1800? I'm looking at buying a 2007 and wonder if Honda has fixed the problem.

Should I be looking at something other than a Goldwing for my next purchase? I would appreciate you input.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I've got an 06 Wing that doesn't wobble one bit.

And yes, I've done the deceleration-no hands on the handlebars test...still no wobble.

Dep

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
reinerka said:
Funny but those GL1800 built in 2000 are excluded from the Class Action. Must be because they just simply work.

Reiner
2000 gold wings are GL1500's

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine wobbles on decel at 35 mph if I let go of the bars. This started after I put new tires on it so how can it be Honda's fault. I'll have no part in it.

Scott

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Chester said:
I'm glad I looked at this post and the lawsuit. I have just joined this forum since I am considering buying a Goldwing again (had 2 in the distant past). This looks scary and may turn me away from the Wing. Are you people having this same issue and does it affect all years of GL1800? I'm looking at buying a 2007 and wonder if Honda has fixed the problem.

Should I be looking at something other than a Goldwing for my next purchase? I would appreciate you input.
Some wobble some don't. Honda does not appear to have addressed it, but then again most any touring or large bike has the capacity to develop a similar wobble. It is just physics and numerous variables. Tires, wheels, head bearings (and torque), tire pressure, wear, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Mine has a slight decel wobble that has developed as the front tire has worn. I have a Stone in the garrage to be mounted and it is likely (but not guaranteed) it will stop or reduce the wobble until it gets some wear on it.

Don't let this wobble thing be the deciding factor in your purchase decission. Take a demo ride or two, or rent a wing for a weekend and see what you think.

Rock On.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Chester said:

Chester, please do yourself a favor and ignore the lawsuit. It is a frivoluous lawsuit that will go nowhere. Every manufacturer probably has a number of wobble lawsuits against them at any one time. It is nothing to worry about.

Don't use a message board to make any important decision until you have been on one long enough to understand how blown out of proportion minor issues can become.

The Wing is a wonderful bike.

·
Registered
939 Posts
When my metzlers get worn it will sometimes wobble during decelleration from 40 MPH if I take both hands off the handlebars. If I keep one hand on the bars it never wobbles. I don't have a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chester said:

I've got an '03 GL1800ABS with no wobble at all, at any speed. Just a wonderful bike.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Closetchef said:
reinerka said:

Reiner
2000 gold wings are GL1500's
In the class action it states GL1800 built after January 1st 2001. I happen to have bought mine in October of 2000 and it was built way before than. I just double checked in the garage and yes it is a GL1800 and not a GL1500.

Reiner

·
Registered
210 Posts
06 wing, 5500 miles no wobble anytime unless I have too many cold ones.. The bike is great...... :yes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Chester wrote:
I'm glad I looked at this post and the lawsuit. I have just joined this forum since I am considering buying a Goldwing again (had 2 in the distant past). This looks scary and may turn me away from the Wing. Are you people having this same issue and does it affect all years of GL1800? I'm looking at buying a 2007 and wonder if Honda has fixed the problem.[/size]

2002 ABS - No wobble, no cracks, no problems at all, don't be discouraged, no matter how good the product you will always find a few who have problems. I have been riding over 40 years, most any bike will wobble under certain conditions and as far as I know, the crack issue has been resolved, the only problem I have is figuring a way to fill the gas tank without stopping.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Chester-
To the best of my recollection, the only bikes that wobble are the ones that are ridden with no hands on the handlebars. If you're a stunt rider like that, you'll likely have a problem with any bike, because they'll all wobble under those circumstances, though at different speeds.
If you ride with your hands on the bars, you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
For you people who are concerned about the decel wobble dont buy any big touring bike that handles good. Go buy you a cruzier that handles like $hit. About all of my riding is done outside wobble zone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses to my concern. I've ridden for 38 years and the only bike I had with a slight wobble was my 82 Interstate. As soon as I changed the tires from Dunlops to Metzlers it was fine. That was way back when the bike was new. Haven't had any wobbles on anything since then including my last three cruisers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts