GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is going to start a class action suite against Honda to provide ABS option on all models of the GL1800?
Come on- who is gonna do it?
Do you think it is fair for Honda to put ABS on only one model?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Don't need to. They are going to do it. They have stated that by the end of 07 all the tourers and other large bikes will have it standard. By the end of 2010 all bikes above 250cc will have it standard. I bet they will be a little late hitting thier goal but it is going to happen in the next couple models for the wing.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
http://world.honda.com/safety/initiatives/

HONDA said:
Seeking to increase stability and ensure more effective braking control, Honda has set the target of incorporating its Hydraulic Combined Anti-Lock Brake System into all new touring and sports bikes (250cc and above) and large-displacement scooters by the end of 2007. We also plan to adopt the system in all 250cc-and-above bikes, except off-road models, as standard by 2010. Moreover, all on-road and off-road models will be equipped with ABS braking. As a leader in the European motorcycle market, Honda is committed to actively incorporating the aforementioned safety technologies into its motorcycles, to help realize the European Commission’s plan to cut road deaths in half by 2010.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Either all those folks in Europe are bad drivers or just plain stupid.

Everybody knows a good rider is better than ABS anyday!!!!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Bill R said:
Everybody knows a good rider is better than ABS anyday!!!!
LOLOLOLOL!!! Yeah right!!! If your a good rider you will never activate the ABS, but get in some sand, a slick road in the rain, don't pay attention for a second at the wrong time and it may save your bacon. ABS is not bad...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Trust me, that was "tongue-in-cheek". Everything I drive, including both my motorcycles, has ABS and I have no intention of ever buying another new vehicle without it!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
FUSE said:
Don't need to. They are going to do it. They have stated that by the end of 07 all the tourers and other large bikes will have it standard. By the end of 2010 all bikes above 250cc will have it standard. I bet they will be a little late hitting thier goal but it is going to happen in the next couple models for the wing.
They are going to take all the fun out of riding/driving. Like that automatic traction control they are going to put on all cars. You won't even be able to do a burnout. That really sucks as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
LOL, I know what you mean. Nothing better than coming up to a light and being able to lock that rear wheel and slid to a stop two inches from your buddy in front of you, sliding slideways like we used to do with our bicycles...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
skip h said:
Who is going to start a class action suite against Honda to provide ABS option on all models of the GL1800?
If this is serious, it's the silliest thing I've ever read on this board, and that's saying something. :lol:

·
Registered
353 Posts
why does'nt honda make a kit so i can put abs on my 2004 non abs .it can be done . by adding and changing a few parts. i want to put at least 100.000 miles on my bike befor i get a new one .

·
Registered
552 Posts
skip h said:
I don't know how to answer that question. All I know is that a gold wing with ABS is a very safe bike and will not crash. I have never heard of a gold wing with ABS having a crash, have you?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
azblackbird said:
skip h said:
I don't know how to answer that question. All I know is that a gold wing with ABS is a very safe bike and will not crash. I have never heard of a gold wing with ABS having a crash, have you?
WOW...making a statement like "will not crash"...IMHO is a mighty strong statement. Most cars on the road today have ABS...they crash. I think having ABS has helped people in certain situations...BUT not ALL situations.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For the European market, Honda already achieved its objective on ABS standard equipped with the GoldWing. Since the introduction in 2001, all European Spec models have been equipped with ABS. I even think that all export versions (Canada, Australia, Japan) have ABS as a standard since 2001. Altough I noticed that Canada will also bring a non ABS version in 2007.

I guess the low % of sales of the ABS versions in the intial years, when this was still a $1000 option in the US, have contributed to the decision of Honda not to offer ABS standard in the US. Apparantly the US riders are different from the European riders. When BMW started with ABS years ago as an option intially, the % of buyers was soo high, BMW decided to bring it standard on most models. These days most Manufacturers offer ABS (if available for the model) as a standard on most high end type bikes and on many other bikes as a low cost option. So the objective of Honda for the European market is not far of reality.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just something else to break and drag back to dealer. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts