GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously posted a message telling of the excellent job Classic Components did on the chrome plating of my aluminum rims. I felt it was neessary to follow up and point out some of the issues that I've had to deal with concerning the rims.
This is not to blast the company just state the good and bad....................I can only hope their response is serious and the issues will be acted upon.

Please see the copy of my email below to explain the problems, along with Classic Components reply and my follow-up reply. (read from bottom to top)

Brian Fenner
White Bear Lake, Minnesota

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----
To: Daniel
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: Goldwing Rims

Daniel,

Thank you for replying................

My hopes in emailing you were that these issues will be taken care of for future owners sending their rims in for chrome plating. Your company is very highly regarded on several GoldWing internet bulletin boards and I don't want others to experience what I did.
I trust you will be true to your word and take care of these issues.

Thank You,

Brian Fenner
White Bear Lake, Minnesota

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: Goldwing Rims

Brian, I am very sorry for all of the trouble our plating has caused you, and for all of the extra effort needed to correct the problem(s). I really appreciate you letting us know that there was a problem, and I can assure you that disciplinary actions will be taken our negligent employee. It is a procedure of ours that with Goldwing rims, the "nub" or "tabs" are not to be taken down at all by our polishers. As for the problem with the bearing hole, I do beleive that the material we use to plug that surface did not hold up during the process. I will personally talk to my employees in the warehouse and make sure that these were simply mistakes that will not happen again. Once again I sincerely appologize for the inconvenience this has caused you,and hope that you do not hold it against us as a company.

Classic Components, Inc.
[email protected]
www.chromeplating.com

Dear Sirs:

I recently received my two motorcycle rims (Honda GL1800 GoldWing) back from your company after having them chrome plated. First let me say the quality and overall appearance of the rims is excellent..................I've very pleased with chroming job itself.

But, there are several issues I've found that require your attention.......................

On the front rim (right side) there is a lip on the OEM rim that the ABS sensor wheel mounts to. This lip was chrome plated and some of the plating is actually slightly inside this lip. This has caused me many problems and extra expense because of this.
When installing the right bearing some of the chrome plating on the inside of this lip was forced down along with the bearing and caused this bearing to partially seize. The result was I had to take the rim to the dealer and pay for a second set of new bearings plus the labor involved with removing these bearings and installing new ones (they had a tough time getting the right bearing out because of this jammed piece of chrome flake so they had to remove both bearings).
Because this lip was chromed I could not get the right brake disc to fit back on the rim. I had to use a Dremel tool with a course sanding bit to remove the layer of chrome so the brake disc would seat against the hub.
The GoldWing rims have a small tab that a valve stem holder attaches to. This holder is critical as without it the valve stem would eventually snap off and cause a tire blowout. On the rear rim this tabs "nubs" were partially ground off sometime during the plating process...............now the holder no longer stays attached to the rim. This could be a very dangerous situation for the rider..................The shop that I had install the tires on the rims had to install some silicone adhesive to securely fasten the holder to the rim.
The rear rim on the GL1800 has steel inserts the fit into the rims mounting holes. Most owners don't realize these are even there (I didn't until someone on an internet message board www.GL1800.org mentioned it after I had sent my rims in for chroming). Classic Components was kind enough to remove them without charge but unless I knew to look for them in the shipping package, I would of probably tossed them in the garbage along with the rest of the packing material. I suggest you somehow make it obvious these were removed so others don't inadvertently throw them away.
I'm still very glad I had my rims chrome plated at your company as I really like the overall appearance and quality of the chrome plating. But I'm somewhat dismayed at the extra time, additional money, and aggravation I had to go through to get the rims back into usable condition.

Sincerely,

Brian Fenner
<Edited address>
White Bear Lake, Minnesota 55110-3633
2001 GL1800 ABS Illusion Red #584
[email protected]
<Edited phone number>
<Edited phone number>

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I think that

I lke semi dirty rims, better than all the hassel and down time you had.

Hope all is 100% now.

Bulldog

·
Registered
810 Posts
Classic Components Did Great By Me

I'm definitely sorry to hear of your problems with your rims, but having chromed two sets, at least in my opinion, your problem is not unique.

My previous chrome job, a 3-step process done by a guy in Mandeville, LA., was adequate and with his work, I had no problems. Classic Components however, does a 5-step and I think its inevitable that you're going to have some extra chroming. I could be wrong, but if you want to get the whole wheel that good, its just part of the process.

When I got my wheels back, they were absolute perfection. Five of us inspected them and we just felt they could not be any better. The nubs were there.

Now, I will tell you that I had to clean the threads where the discs screw back in, but that's to be expected. I did have some difficulty pushing the disks on, but a little elbow grease and they were right there.

As for the bearings, the guy at the shop had to scan the inner race just a little bit. It sounds like you left your bearings in. I've always been told that its better to remove them and then put new bearings in when they come back from the chromer but I've heard of your way as well.

As for the inserts, yeah, they should have taped them to the rim to make sure you knew about them. Mine were taped on top so I think they definitely learned from your comments and are working to improve.

I had a friend have his front done and had no problems as well.

I tend to say its likely the best place in the country for rims!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the chrome work itself is absolutly top notch (as stated in my email) but some of the issues <I felt> required their attention.
There should be no chromeing inside the bearing wall lip, if there is your asking for trouble. The people at Classic Components verified that this shouldn't of happend as they use some sort of plug to seal these areas.

No I did not leave the bearings in the front rim. The new replacement on the right side, when inserted, took some of the chrome that was inside the lip with it and siezed up the bearing.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
chrome wheels

Brian,
My fear of wheel bearing failure a zillion miles from nowhere kept me from chroming my wheels. I do have the front wheel highly polished with the boms away.
I'm hoping you have the bearing problem solved before you hit the roads this spring.
JD
Jim Fulcher 8)

·
Registered
56 Posts
chrome rims part II

I to am sorry to hear about your problems with the chrome rims. I am a distributor of alumium cleaners, polishes and waxes. We have demonstrated thousands of times how easy it is to make your aluminum wheels look like chrome.......... I have had long time Goldwing riders in my booth at the shows swear that nothing could clean their wheels let alone make them shine like chrome. It is great to see the look on their faces when I show them how easy it really is as long as you have the right products.
Most of the wingers I hang with wouldn't spend the money to have their wheels chromed. It is too expensive. And what happens if something does go wrong with the wheels. Honda will not stand behind it if they are chromed. Seems to me you could have saved yourself alot of heartache,time and money by using the proper cleaners and polishes. My GL1800 rims have 58,000 miles on them and they shine like chrome. As a matter of fact we have twenty dealers buying from us and they love our products.

Pegasus
01 GL1800
GWRRA #159167

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your GL rim polishes

Pegasus, do you have a web site? If not can you e-mail me some info on your products. I ride all year around in Nebraska and really need to find a better, less time consuming way to keep my rims polished.

Thanks
:rat: (Randy Baker)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chrome Rims

I can't see where the Company did anything but apologize to you for the mistakes they made. Was their any other compensation offered to you for the extra time and expense on your part to correct what was out of your control. Maybe I just missed that part. Please make an additional comment as I want to have my Rims Chromed also and don't who to use.
Art Vomberg

·
Registered
810 Posts
Go with Classic Components

Art:

I think no matter what shop you go with, there is always the chance of something as minor as a little chrome residue in the threads and such.

I can tell you that a friend and I had our fronts done at Classic and I had my rear done as well and its gorgeous! Yes, the steel pieces were out of the rear wheel but I knew about that. Yes, the Honda mechanic had to send 1/1000 of an inch out of the bearing area to make them fit properly, but other than that, they are perfect and I consider that a minor price and to a little degree - expected.

I also think that Classic might have learned by their mistakes, we all do, and is now doing a great job because I could not be happier with mine. If you are anywhere near New Orleans, let me know and you can come look at their work!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pegasus,

No offense.........But there is no cleaner/polish/wax in the world that will make the aluminum rims look like the beautiful chrome plating job that Classic Components did...........the chrome plating is top notch and something to behold. Depth, brillance, and overall quality are excellent.
I've heard all the advertising hype before and there is absolutely NO comparison.

Art,

My intent in notifying Classic Components was not to get any compensation. It was to let them know of some issues concerning their process. I feel their response was sincere and they will take care of any issues.

Like I said before, the quality and looks of the chrome plating at Classic Components is top notch.............I don't believe you can get a better looking chrome plating job anywhere.
Although there was some additional expense and hassle I would definitely do it again. I love the looks of the chrome rims............... :D

Pictures of chrome rims:

http://members9.clubphoto.com/brian505807/owner-fccc-1.phtml

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Brian ,just took a look at your wheel pictures,looks great.If you dont mined ,how much was the cost?
Mick

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mick,

$500 a pair with return postage included.........

D

·
0 Posts
Polished Wheel Rims

I'm thinking of getting my rims commercially polished, instead of chromed. I need to get my tires changed anyway and it seems like a good opportunity. Has anyone tried polishing them that way? I suspect the results will be better than hand polishing them with some polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease. The OEM rims have a satin finish and I'm not sure how much polishing they require to get that smooth aluminum shine I want.

Also, I had the valve covers polished, as well as the front engine timing cover. Looks real sharp. Why spend all that money chroming rims unless you plan to do it all? I also got the shop to gold plate the OEM Honda emblem on each valve cover and that really adds a lot of class to the look.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I posted my entire chrome plating experience with Classic Components on the board about 9 April. I did not have any of the issues that Bryan had. When I received the wheels back I was specifically looking for chrome in the bearing surface area and valve stem tabs being ground off. Classic did excellent on this test. The kicker was on one wheel, two spokes on the left side had pitts showing. Classic is calling it "casting pitts" Of all the reports I have seen on wheels returned from Classic, I have never seen this. They discouraged me from trying it again by saying it could be worse if they attempted a redo. With that in mind, I asked for a discount. That fell on deaf ears also. The only option I had left was to go through my credit card company. I told them the entire story and payment has been put on hold until the dispute is settled.
On my original post, the pictures were dropped off the board after a few days. If anyone would like to see the pictures they can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be glad to e-mail them. It is too much of a hassle here to post pictures, resizing etc.
I have been running the wheels now for over a month. I do not advertise that the front wheel has pitts. If anyone wants information on shipping wheels to Classic I will tell them my experience.
I agree with Bryan that no polish job is going to look as deep as the chromed wheels. Once before, when the wheels were removed for a tire change, I used a power buffer and polish on them and they really did look good, but they couldn't compare to chrome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts