GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am working on several projects this week doing over due maintanance on the bike. Fork Oil, cable binding, bleeding breaks, pads and Bleeding clutch. I had to access all the cables and hoses and fix my cruise at the same time. I know when I take off to much (and this time was no exception) I had my instrument cluster out (06 navi) and just about to reinstall it when taking a break from all the hard work I decided to give the lens a good cleaning make it sparkle like new. Well that would have been fine a good wipe down with ol Honda polish. But as I do I see a few stray micro fine dust partials loose in side the lens and on the navi screen. Well whats a few screws (12 or more) at this point I think to my self? How many of you know where this is going? So after taking off the lens I properly spritz the inside with some Honda polish and I instantly see the error of my ways with the first wipe. :eek: It took a 1/2 hour to clean up my mess. So what exactly is this coating in side the lens? Anti fog, glare what? What ever it was its gone now. Looks the same but I have a feeling it will change soon. If any one has done this just wave so Im not sitting here feeling so dumb and lonely. If not Ill suffer in silence and let you all know the ramifications of my stupidity. I am riding to VT in the morning and by the looks of it, in the rain. So that may tell the storie.
Ho Hum

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ain't dirty, don't clean it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:agree:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ain't dirty, don't clean it.
Your talking to a guy that washes his bike twice a year weather it needs it or not. If I get caught in a heave down pour for more than 15 min that counts as one wash.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I washed the inside of the instrument cluster lense a few years ago and also had to completely remove that coating. There have ben no ill affects since then.....
Of you are concerned, though, I don't think that lense is very expensive.......around $15 for the non-navigation model of I remember right, but I wouldn't hesitate to clean the inside of another one.
Kurt

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I washed the inside of the instrument cluster lense a few years ago and also had to completely remove that coating. There have ben no ill affects since then.....
Of you are concerned, though, I don't think that lense is very expensive.......around $15 for the non-navigation model of I remember right, but I wouldn't hesitate to clean the inside of another one.
Kurt
Kurt
GOOD TO HEAR I am not the first or only one. I have the navi 06 so it may be a lil more but just did 600 mi this weekend in cold rain and fog and did not fog or sweat and if I had some sun I could tell you if I experienced glare but no.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
:agree:
Your talking to a guy that washes his bike twice a year weather it needs it or not. If I get caught in a heave down pour for more than 15 min that counts as one wash.
Yeah ... a bike wash is part of a 30k service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts