GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last couple of years, I have had a problem with my 07 bike running hotter than it should. First time it showed up was out west in the mountains and it was actually going all the way to the red and puking out some antifreeze when it did. I used a car wash to do a quick flush of the fins and that seemed to help some. I did a flush of the cooling system and fresh antifreeze when I got home. I thought I was good until a trip out east the following year where temps were hovering in the high 90s to triple digits. It ran hot that time during several runs with slow traffic with it hitting the red a few times but no antifreeze lost. I replaced the water pump when I got home and again, fresh antifreeze. So far that has seemed to work but again this year, a few times the temp gauge went up on hot days in slow traffic but never more than 2 ticks above half. This was still bugging me. So I did try spraying a bunch of hydrogen peroxide/water in from the side. I let it sit and then rinsed it out. Again, the temp gauge would still rise in slow traffic but again never more than 2 tics above half. Today, I decided to dive further into it because I wasnt sure just cleaning from the side was doing enough. I actually pulled the radiators and was surprised how dirty the radiators were especially all around the sides. I picked up a couple cans of spray foaming ac coil cleaner. I blasted the radiator fins with plenty of the coil cleaner, let it sit and rinsed it off. I did it a second time.as I wasnt happy with the first round. 2 rounds seemed to do the trick and I can see all the way through the fins. It looks way better than it did when I first pulled the radiators. I also flushed water through the radiators to make sure that the radiators werent clogged. Water flowed very strongly and freely out of all the outlets. I should have it all back together tomorrow so I can check to see if this made a difference. I'm betting it does. The real test will be the end of the month for a long Labor Day Weekeend trip down to Harrison, AR.

I did discover that when removing the hoses off the radiator outlets, you have to be real careful as it's easy to deform the outlets. They are made of aluminum and can easily by squished a bit. The hoses on each outlet were really stuck on and needed extra persuasion to get off. Working them carefully back and forth got them to break free.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 2015 gets hot in slow moving traffic since it was new.

It has gotten hot at least 20 times, but I never let it reach the red zone. I just pull over and let the fans cool it down.

The conditions that allow it to overheat are 20-30 mph under load or heavy traffic. (ie. going up Mt. Washington, Moki Dugway......)

I would think that allowing the fans to stay on at a higher speed would help. (regardless of air flow direction of the fans)

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
So for the last couple of years, I have had a problem with my 07 bike running hotter than it should. First time it showed up was out west in the mountains and it was actually going all the way to the red and puking out some antifreeze when it did. I used a car wash to do a quick flush of the fins and that seemed to help some. I did a flush of the cooling system and fresh antifreeze when I got home. I thought I was good until a trip out east the following year where temps were hovering in the high 90s to triple digits. It ran hot that time during several runs with slow traffic with it hitting the red a few times but no antifreeze lost. I replaced the water pump when I got home and again, fresh antifreeze. So far that has seemed to work but again this year, a few times the temp gauge went up on hot days in slow traffic but never more than 2 ticks above half. This was still bugging me. So I did try spraying a bunch of hydrogen peroxide/water in from the side. I let it sit and then rinsed it out. Again, the temp gauge would still rise in slow traffic but again never more than 2 tics above half. Today, I decided to dive further into it because I wasnt sure just cleaning from the side was doing enough. I actually pulled the radiators and was surprised how dirty the radiators were especially all around the sides. I picked up a couple cans of spray foaming ac coil cleaner. I blasted the radiator fins with plenty of the coil cleaner, let it sit and rinsed it off. I did it a second time.as I wasnt happy with the first round. 2 rounds seemed to do the trick and I can see all the way through the fins. It looks way better than it did when I first pulled the radiators. I also flushed water through the radiators to make sure that the radiators werent clogged. Water flowed very strongly and freely out of all the outlets. I should have it all back together tomorrow so I can check to see if this made a difference. I'm betting it does. The real test will be the end of the month for a long Labor Day Weekeend trip down to Harrison, AR.

I did discover that when removing the hoses off the radiator outlets, you have to be real careful as it's easy to deform the outlets. They are made of aluminum and can easily by squished a bit. The hoses on each outlet were really stuck on and needed extra persuasion to get off. Working them carefully back and forth got them to break free.

It is good to keep the radiators up to snuff (clear of debri and filled with fresh coolant) but I fear you may be "jousting with a windmill" when you go beyond that on an 1800. :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do understand the limitations on the cooling system as far as that evil zone between 15-25mph. I also am aware that in 06, the cooling systems received a much needed upgrade with larger radiators. The biggest concern for me was that on several of the trips, I was riding with a buddy on a 2010 and another trip, a buddy of ours also on a 2010 came along. Neither of theirs suffered from the symptoms I was having. The 2 trips, I mentioned, there was definitely a problem with mine. On the trip out east, theirs did rise just a bit a couple times but only as we neared triple digit temps. After doing the stuff I did then, mine hasnt overheated but also not thrilled seeing the temp rise in slow traffic when temps are only in mid to upper 80's. Recently it has not gone any where near the upper limit of the temp gauge that it had been doing before. So on that, I will call it a success. My buddy's in similar temps would not rise at all. I have now done just about everything I think necessary. I am pretty sure after seeing the radiators that even though I had flow, there was enough crud to cause it to run hot. I will try to keep up with that from now on. I just wish that the radiators had a little more access to the entire thing to make this an easier job to do regularly. I will admit that I had not tried hosing down the radiators in the past when cleaning the bike. Mostly would just spraying down with Pledge and wiping it clean. Maybe just running a good stream of water through there from time to time will keep the crud from building up as bad as it eventually did this time.

On a side note, it gave me more practice doing teardowns. This is the 3rd time taking off the fairing for various maintenance and I'm getting pretty good at this stuff.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
If you went years without cleaning the radiators it definitely becomes more difficult to get the crap out. Never use a carwash to clean radiators way to much pressure that could cause serious damage. I use hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and let it soak for about 10 minutes then flush it out with a garden hose, if I get a lot of bugs I will repeat the next day and keep doing that until there doesn’t seem to be many left.
The temperature on my 02 will definitely climb in hot weather but it has never boiled over.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
Today, I decided to dive further into it because I wasnt sure just cleaning from the side was doing enough. I actually pulled the radiators and was surprised how dirty the radiators were especially all around the sides. I picked up a couple cans of spray foaming ac coil cleaner. I blasted the radiator fins with plenty of the coil cleaner, let it sit and rinsed it off. I did it a second time.as I wasnt happy with the first round. 2 rounds seemed to do the trick and I can see all the way through the fins. It looks way better than it did when I first pulled the radiators. I also flushed water through the radiators to make sure that the radiators werent clogged. Water flowed very strongly and freely out of all the outlets. I should have it all back together tomorrow so I can check to see if this made a difference. I'm betting it does. The real test will be the end of the month for a long Labor Day Weekeend trip down to Harrison, AR.
I do the same to all radiators when I remove engines for transmission, or ADG repair. Trying to clean the radiators like some do from the sides will only get the areas that can be seen, and those are usually not the areas causing the problems.

Another huge factor that causes poor air flow through the radiators is chrome. If someone is having overheating issues, and if they have any chrome in their radiator openings, they need to start removing it so air can flow more freely. On 5th gens, there should be no chrome or lighting that blocks air flow through the radiators. As this generation of Wing get older, and our cooling systems become less efficient, free air movement will become more critical.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Luckily no chrome anywhere near the radiator or openings and nothing to restrict flow. I only have the OEM plastic screen that clips onto the outside edge of the radiators.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I too had cleaned my radiators (05 little 1’s) when I had them out to put new fans in. I was surprised at what can hide in the corners. I wasn’t over heating (fluid loss) or pegging the temp gauge, but ride with more peace-of -mind knowing it’s clean in there.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My 05 temp would start rising in slow traffic. In the summer it was really bad and head for the red.
I knew the fans weren't doing any good at slow speed so it would allow it to get hotter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts