GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished cleaning my radiators on my 2007 and they where plugged with lots of bugs and fuzz and anything else that could get in the air finns i used some hydrogen peroxide in hope that it would dissolve or soften the debris i let it soak for 1/2 hour then rinsed with a garden hose with a little pressure. it took some stuff out but still a lot left in there so i went and got some cleaning agent that is used on compressor coils and prayed them and let them soak for a half hour and rinsed them off with the hose ant then I used a air hose from a distance and got a lot more crap out so i did it again with the compressor coil cleaner.and now they are both nice and clean . no wonder my bike overheated last year out in Uta . Now i am thinking if I should put some kind of fine screen between the radiators and the grill that i could remove and clean or would it restrict the air flow to much . Thank you guys that posted about using the cleaning solutions for the radiators .

·
Registered
934 Posts
A finer screen will restrict airflow

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Now i am thinking if I should put some kind of fine screen between the radiators and the grill that i could remove and clean or would it restrict the air flow to much .
Putting anything that blocks or slows air flow in or out maybe a bad idea. If you have any chrome on the outside of the cowl that restricts air flow, you might consider removing it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not have any chrome on the out side of the grills and that's exactly what i was thinking it would restrict the air flow but i still had to ask thanks Ken

·
Registered
185 Posts
Any screen put between the radiators,and the cowl will only catch the debris that make it through the radiator.The air flow when riding flows from the inside out through the radiator. The fans blow the air through from the inside as well.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Excellent info here for all of us "thinking" of installing another screen in front of our rad's.....Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Any screen put between the radiators,and the cowl will only catch the debris that make it through the radiator.The air flow when riding flows from the inside out through the radiator. The fans blow the air through from the inside as well.
The fans blow in the opposite direction unless someone has changed them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
2005 trike

His complaint:

"CHECK TEMP GAUGE READ HIGH IN SLOW, MOUNTAIN, STOP AND GO TRAFFIC.
NEVER WENT INTO RED, RIDER WOULD PULL OVER AND ALLOW TO COOL DOWN.
HAS NEVER HAPPENED SINCE."

Among other things, one of the suggestions was to remove, or at least cut the gills off, all chrome that is restricting air flow through the radiators. He's since cut the grills out.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the fairing off so i could get axes to the radiators hose clamps and i also pulled the gas tank so i could get at all the hose clamps and make sure they where all tight . which i did find a couple that just needed a little more tightening and this also gave me a good opportunity to take a garden hose and wash all the dirt and sand that found its way to the top of the motor. Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts