GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discusions on air filters came up with a diesel mechanic at work they use a filter service man to clean there air filters on heavy machinery here they re use them i found this interesting so i showed him a new paper oem air filter for the wing he said you can clean that filter 2 or 3 times before the pleats deteriorated i know a new air filter is cheap but i might give a dirty air filter to the service man just to see how it comes up has anyone heard of this being done before

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Seriously? Are you trying to save $18.00? I wouldn't waste my time. Get a new one and sleep well at night.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Thats like taking the engine apart and wiping down the piston and putting the engine back together. To much labor involved to just clean the filter.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If your going through all that trouble to remove the air filter, just put in a new one, thats a lot of work. I changed mine @ 16,000 miles, admittedly it wasn't that dirty and I could have blown it out. I do that periodically on my vehicles they are easy to get to.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
GW Fan, I understand what you are saying. It would be an interesting experiment, if for no other reason to see the end result. Let us know. Thanks.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Discusions on air filters came up with a diesel mechanic at work they use a filter service man to clean there air filters on heavy machinery here they re use them i found this interesting so i showed him a new paper oem air filter for the wing he said you can clean that filter 2 or 3 times before the pleats deteriorated i know a new air filter is cheap but i might give a dirty air filter to the service man just to see how it comes up has anyone heard of this being done before

Cheers :thumbup:
The FJR 1300 shop manual recommends inspecting and cleaning the air filter element with compressed air every 4,000 miles and replacing when "necessary" or the filter is "damaged." Checking and replacing the air filter on a FJR is very easy to do.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I can see where some air filters on larger engines would be cleaned and reused. I have a 1 ton Chevy diesel truck and the air filter is over $100 for a new one. The GW air filter is too cheap to clean and replace, especially the trouble you have to go through just to get to it.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yes new filters aren't that expensive, but there are "washable" replacements, like in my John Deere tractor that is a foam material filter.

It would be nice if Honda could intergrade them into a GL1800.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Your service guy could probably make the filter "look" pretty good. As this depression continues some of us may be resorting to tactics like that. now, if he can just come up wiath a way to recycle used gasoline. Actually, the first time I went in to replace my air filter it was so clean that I simply put it back in and waited until 32,000 mile service interval to change it, at which time it was still almost new looking. Clean country air, I guess.

prs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Page 3-5 of the ('02) service manual. Very first statement under "Air cleaner"

• The viscous-paper-element-type air cleaner cannot be cleaned because the element contains a dust adhesive.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I've got 9000 miles on my GW and the mpg is down a couple. Living in this dirty desert I wonder if the air filter could be a factor. I'm not ready to crack open the bike to find out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've got 9000 miles on my GW and the mpg is down a couple. Living in this dirty desert I wonder if the air filter could be a factor. I'm not ready to crack open the bike to find out.
I know in my neck-of-the-woods there is a winter blend of gas and a summer blend. We definately get less milage in the winter. Cold is a factor also. In Az. there might not be a "winter blend".

Ethanol is also a factor. Maybe you service station recently switched to ethonol blend gasoline.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If the air filter was easy to get to then I might consider cleaning it instead of replacing it. But after going to all the trouble of pulling the shelter, I'd prefer to fit a new filter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My local dealer charges $150 to change out a filter. A new filter is $20. It would cost me $35 to have the dealer to clean the old filter. So this is a non-question.

Personally I change out my own filter. I would have to be crazy to take all that time to disassemble the bike ($150 savings) and not spend $20 for a new filter.

Why are we discussing saving $20 on a $18-20,000 dream machine?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GW Fan, I understand what you are saying. It would be an interesting experiment, if for no other reason to see the end result. Let us know. Thanks.
Spot on thanks :yes1: i am not very good at what iam trying to say on this pc
one thing is for sure no way will i be putting back a dirty air filter in my bike

CHERRS :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
If the air filter was easy to get to, I could see cleaning it every oil change as part of regular maintanence. But I change my filter at 24,000 miles, and it is pretty shot by that point. As was said before, the element is treated. It would be like trying to clean fly paper.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Living in Phx area, I changed the first time at about 18,000, it was not very dirty. Just changed again at 52,000, it was dirtier but still not bad. I don't think you need to worry about it at 9000 miles.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've read that you should not clean a paper element filter with compressed air because it can cause small tears in the element that will allow larger particles to get through.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ladies ladies,I can pull the air filter out in less than 20 minutes..

I'll only charge you $25 with your filter of choice to do to work myself..As an added bonus!
I won't even charge you any extra while you watch me do it either!! :thumbup:

Sakes some of you make a federal case out of doing a little manual labor with a couple tools..:shrug:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts