GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Ladies ladies,I can pull the air filter out in less than 20 minutes..

I'll only charge you $25 with your filter of choice to do to work myself..As an added bonus!
I won't even charge you any extra while you watch me do it either!! :thumbup:

Sakes some of you make a federal case out of doing a little manual labor with a couple tools..:shrug:
Great!!!:agree: Sign me up. I'll pick you up at the Indianapolis airport and drive you to Bloomington and my bike. Hell, I'll spend as much on gas as your fee!

When can you be here?

Great!!!:agree: Sign me up. I'll pick you up at the Indianapolis airport and drive you to Bloomington and my bike. Hell, I'll spend as much on gas as your fee!

When can you be here?

Give me a few minutes to grab hold of my pilot,he thinks he has the weekend off. :shrug:

You won't have to drive me anywhere.I'll swap out your filter in the hanger and be back by lunch time for a margarita.:thumbup:

Discusions on air filters came up with a diesel mechanic at work they use a filter service man to clean there air filters on heavy machinery here they re use them i found this interesting so i showed him a new paper oem air filter for the wing he said you can clean that filter 2 or 3 times before the pleats deteriorated i know a new air filter is cheap but i might give a dirty air filter to the service man just to see how it comes up has anyone heard of this being done before

Cheers :thumbup:
yes i have heard of this being done, one of my neighbors has been trying to buy one of those machines for washing filters, if i remember rite the machine was close to $30,000 and he had been trying for a couple years to get one, seems to be plenty of work washing expensive filters for big equipment, not sure but i think in the process they reapply the dust catching stuff

My local dealer charges $150 to change out a filter. A new filter is $20. It would cost me $35 to have the dealer to clean the old filter. So this is a non-question.

Personally I change out my own filter. I would have to be crazy to take all that time to disassemble the bike ($150 savings) and not spend $20 for a new filter.

Why are we discussing saving $20 on a $18-20,000 dream machine?
I have been puzzling over your post. Are you saying that the dealership charges $150 to replace the $20 filter element and $35 to clean same?

My local dealer charges $150 to change out a filter. A new filter is $20. It would cost me $35 to have the dealer to clean the old filter. So this is a non-question.

Personally I change out my own filter. I would have to be crazy to take all that time to disassemble the bike ($150 savings) and not spend $20 for a new filter.

Why are we discussing saving $20 on a $18-20,000 dream machine?
Because a lot of the Monkeys that hang out on this tree are tight wads. Wait until you see how much support a $3.00 cheapo oil filter will get. If ya really want to get some action, start a thread about oil change intervals, or which is best, Honda OEM oil or Amway oil........:lol:

If you post something like that on this forum, you are just asking to get attacked. :22yikes: I understood your point that you just found it INTERESTING. It was your fault maybe you learned a lesson. They probably not finished with you yet!!

There is a reason air filters for big rigs, cats, deers, etc cost hundreds of dollars. First off the engine alone is worth more then a new wing. Second the air filters are designed to be cleaned in the first place. That's why a fleet garage wil have a 40k$ filter cleaning machine. Dang machine cost more then a wing. They can justify the cleaning machine cost by the amount of money saved cleaning filters. Have your friend toss your filter in and see if it survives the cleaning. Let us know how that works out for you. Or, just suck it up, buy filters from Hal when he's having a sale and call it a day.

Because a lot of the Monkeys that hang out on this tree are tight wads. Wait until you see how much support a $3.00 cheapo oil filter will get. If ya really want to get some action, start a thread about oil change intervals, or which is best, Honda OEM oil or Amway oil........:lol:
$3.00!! Man you are a High Roller. The SuperTech is only about $2.48.

Originally Posted by CBXMan
While I don't agree with the idea of cleaning the filter, he only asked a question for the sake of spurring a conversation. He did not say he advocated it. If it could be shown that the filter could indeed be effectively cleaned and re-used, I would certainly love to save the $20 for a new filter. But you would never know unless you pose the questions.

I find it amusing that the people on this board who are reckless with their spending typically try to jusify it by exclaiming that those who are frugal are in reality cheapskates or tightwads. People who are at my income level typically don't own Goldwings. (although there are a number of us on this board.) I was able to buy it because I watch my spending. And in order for me to keep the Wing, I have to continue to watch my spending.

I do 8000 mile oil changes. I rarely change the rear end oil or fork oil. I go 24000 miles on air filters and spark plugs. I didn't buy the extended warranty, and didn't need it. I have very few accessories, and the ones I have are functional. You won't find any extra chrome, tassles, teddy bears, flags, or anything else that would cause it to be confused with a Jamaican taxi.

And yet with all my "tightwad" tendencies, my 7 year old 02 that has never given me a lick of trouble will (knock on wood) probably go another 7 years of trouble free riding. And the best part is, I will enjoy my bike just as much as the guy who spends 10 times as much on his.

The wing aint a truck. Change your filter

He probably puts retreads on his truck too

While I don't agree with the idea of cleaning the filter, he only asked a question for the sake of spurring a conversation. He did not say he advocated it. If it could be shown that the filter could indeed be effectively cleaned and re-used, I would certainly love to save the $20 for a new filter. But you would never know unless you pose the questions.

I find it amusing that the people on this board who are reckless with their spending typically try to jusify it by exclaiming that those who are frugal are in reality cheapskates or tightwads. People who are at my income level typically don't own Goldwings. (although there are a number of us on this board.) I was able to buy it because I watch my spending. And in order for me to keep the Wing, I have to continue to watch my spending.

I do 8000 mile oil changes. I rarely change the rear end oil or fork oil. I go 24000 miles on air filters and spark plugs. I didn't buy the extended warranty, and didn't need it. I have very few accessories, and the ones I have are functional. You won't find any extra chrome, tassles, teddy bears, flags, or anything else that would cause it to be confused with a Jamaican taxi.

And yet with all my "tightwad" tendencies, my 7 year old 02 that has never given me a lick of trouble will (knock on wood) probably go another 7 years of trouble free riding. And the best part is, I will enjoy my bike just as much as the guy who spends 10 times as much on his.
+1, I am in pretty decent financial shape but I didn't get that way by throwing away $. While I too would probably go ahead and change the filter it doesn't hurt to talk about alternatives. Knowledge is power. Also after reading several threads on the topic, and knowing my riding conditions, I would probably wait till I got 25-30k miles before doing so. And if there is any question I did use the Wally World SuperTech filter on my VTX for almost 30K miles without a problem. It has metal ends (unlike Fram) and gets great marks in independent tests, from what I have read. Unless convenienced otherwise I will probably use it on the wing. No need to buy a $18 filter if it is no better in quality. But, in the end, each has the power of choice. That's one of the freedoms we still have.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.