GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in south florida and without a garage the bike sits outside under a dowco cover. I have notice what appears to be mildew on the seat and the vinel over the rear speakers. I have tried Honda spray cleaner (failed), some mild household cleaners (a little better) and the owners manual says nothing.
What material is the seat made of?
Suggestions appreciated,

Thanking you in advance, Mark

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Sledgehammer,
You might consider a different cover for the bike. Obviously the one you are using is trapping moisture and not breathable enough to allow for evaporation. As for the mildew, I'm not too sure. The only thing I know that cuts mildew is some bleach solution but you wouldn't wanna use that on your bike.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
soak a rag in vinegar and wipe away the mildew and then clean with warm soapy water. That will work.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Sledgehammer said:
...What material is the seat made of?
Most are a marine-grade vinyl. As suggested above, a diluted solution of Clorox bleach should kill the mold.

If you're not comfortable mixing your own, visit the marine supply section of most larger department stores for the pre-mixed stuff.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Get a spray bottle and put a little less than 1 to 4 ratio of clorox and water. DO NOT spray it on the seat. Spray it on the rag first and wipe it. Let it sit for a minute and keep wiping. It will get rid of it. After that make sure you rinse all the bleach off and put a good protectant on it. I really like the 303 stuff. It has tons of UV blocakge in it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts