GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out cleaning the bike after riding this past weekend. Rain snow and all that other stuff. I was wondering what do most use to clean the sidewall of the tires. I am not talking of the rims, uses BOM wheel cleaner here, but the sidewall between the rim and the edge where the thread of tire starts. I read alot of different cans of tires cleaners and they say do not use on motorcycle tires. I know it is not good for traction but I was planning to spray the cleaner on a cloth and then wipe it on. So what do ya use???

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I scrub the sidewalls with what is left of the warm soapy water, after washing the rest of the bike. Just the soapy suds, a rag, and a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sidewalls

As long as you stay well above any section of the tire that may come into contact with the road surface, you should be able to use any of the products out there that are made to keep rubber and upholstery in good shape. I use Armor All but it specifically warns you on the bottle not to use it on cycle tires where traction might be compromised. So be careful. As I've ridden more, I've worried about the way the tires themselves look a lot less. I just get a set looking decent and I have to change them out again. Oh well, guess that's how it goes. Seeya on the road.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I find that if I just go for another ride and find some puddles, the tires clean themselves ... :lol:
I always have a quandary about riding or "looking good" and somehow riding always wins :!:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know what you all mean by hitting the puddles and not cleaning them. But sometimes I just go and clean it and want it to look good least for a little bit. I am not concerned with the sidewall on the back tire so much just the front. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just use spray on tire cleaner and take it easy on the 1st few turns. I also noticed that your brakes will not be there for a few stops if the cleaner gets on the rotors.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Soap & Water only!!!!! Can't see the tires while riding anyway, but I sure can FEEL them when they slip on tire conditioner!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
When I'm done using Plexus or Hondagloss, I take the towel that I used for shining the bike and rub down the tire sidewalls with whatever remains in the towel fibers. May sound goofy but it works.

markie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts