GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking 10 years worth of old tranny parts to the recyclers today ... finally !!! I can't believe how chit collects.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
WOW! Now that's alot of 💩 for sure!

Ronnie

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will need something there next week now that you got rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Big changes are happening as we speak. JustWings 4.0 is coming soon :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You should send that picture somewhere to have a jigsaw puzzle made from it!

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The art work idea is a good one.

Put the pile on Craigslist or Facebook and sell them to a local artist for scrap price. They would love to have that stuff.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I zoomed in to look at shift drums to see if any had chunks blown out. I think I saw one with a chunk missing. The third gear lobe on my 2006 shift drum had a nice chunk blown out, made shifting from 2nd to third a bit of a chore; but I did not know that was the cause at the time. Then it ended up taking one more hard hit with a ghost shift that bent a fork enough that dogs made contact when it was not in that gear. There was no more "I think something is seriously wrong", it was absolute that something was seriously wrong. It did not sound like a newbie learning to drive a big rig grinding gears, but it did sound like I was moving the shift lever just a little without the clutch in to let the gears "kiss". Pics of the bent shift fork are hard to tell they are bent. It took comparing them with new forks on the slide and a tape measure to see the nearly 1/5" offset one had. Maybe "Forged in Fire" would want some of that too. Just think of the challenge someone could have turning one of those gears plus something else into a nice bowie in just a few hours....

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Monetarily wise, it was hardly worth taking it all to a recycling center. It weighed 325lbs, for a total value of $17.88. I did it for Mother Earth :)

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I zoomed in to look at shift drums to see if any had chunks blown out. I think I saw one with a chunk missing. The third gear lobe on my 2006 shift drum had a nice chunk blown out, made shifting from 2nd to third a bit of a chore; but I did not know that was the cause at the time. Then it ended up taking one more hard hit with a ghost shift that bent a fork enough that dogs made contact when it was not in that gear. There was no more "I think something is seriously wrong", it was absolute that something was seriously wrong. It did not sound like a newbie learning to drive a big rig grinding gears, but it did sound like I was moving the shift lever just a little without the clutch in to let the gears "kiss". Pics of the bent shift fork are hard to tell they are bent. It took comparing them with new forks on the slide and a tape measure to see the nearly 1/5" offset one had. Maybe "Forged in Fire" would want some of that too. Just think of the challenge someone could have turning one of those gears plus something else into a nice bowie in just a few hours....

View attachment 374538
If your shift drum was magna fluxed, there would be a zillion cracks in that area. For lack of a better word, what you were hearing is called "dog clatter."

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Monetarily wise, it was hardly worth taking it all to a recycling center. It weighed 325lbs, for a total value of $17.88. I did it for Mother Earth :)
Sad. So many tranny birds that will never be... :cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts