GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On all my bikes I have used Original Bike Spirit clean wax and polish. It works very well on everything on a motorcycle and leaves nothing behind. I have used it on shiney paint, Matte Silver paint, leather, vinyl, plastic, fiberglass, rubber. always improve the finish of anything you put it on. But what is your favorite, I'm sure there is more than this product out there that people are happy with. Let's hear about your favorites.

·
Registered
115 Posts
+1 on Meguiar's products, I use Gold Class Carnauba Plus on all painted and chrome parts, and love the results. It also doesn't leave any residue on black if I accidently get some on it. ~$12 at WalMart

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
A bottle of 50-50 mix of water and peroxide and a spray can of Plexus is my cleaning kit.

Everything about plexus is awsome , except the price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always been waterless

I never have used any water on my bike. Don't wash it that way as water isn't good on motorcycles. That original bike spirit cleaner and polish does it all and under 7 bucks for a 14 ounce spray can that usually last me one season of riding up here in the cold country, it saves me money and keeps the ride looking good.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I like the Original Bike Sprit Cleaner and Polish also. It is a little hard to find around here, so I use Honda Cleaner and Polish. I also like Plexus, but with the price they want for it now a days, The Honda Polish does the same thing for half the price.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Dish washing liquid mixed with water then dry with a nice damp cloth and finally some kind of plastic polish like Mr SHEEN :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
A friend gave me a bottle of F11 as advertised on facebook. It is great. No water involved, just spray it on and wipe dry. Makes water bead up and run off. 10 minutes at a motel and it looks like it was trailered there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I used Lysol disinfecting wipes on the underside of my GL these last few weeks, more out of convenience than by choice. I did test them on the lower underside painted parts and there were no problems, but IDK about long=term use. My intention was just cleaning off road grease and bugs, and they got off about 90% of that crap. Given warmer temps I'll probably go back to warm soapy water, a hose, and a high quality chamois.

I hated cleaning my H-D with all the chrome and tubular parts. The GL seems a lot easier, but I still hate cleaning. My "lazy" rationalization is to not keep the bike too clean, or I'll think twice about riding it on iffy or wet days.
:rain1:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Wash wheels with Simple Green. Wash bike with dish detergent and water. Rinse with hose and then blow it dry with a leaf blower.

Finish detailing bike with either Purple Slice or Lemon Pledge.

I do this about once a month. I'm a daily rider; so by the end of month, it needs a bath.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Most dish soaps are abrasive and will definitely clean the grease and grime off your bike, but will also strip any wax off your finish and leave swirls as well. It's just not designed to be used on painted surfaces such as your car, truck or bike finish.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
We use hydrogen peroxide in the quart bottles from the Dollar Store ( $1) to first soften up all of the bugs.
After a bit, I pour an inch of my favorite car wash soap (yellow stuff from Meguire's) into this sprayer thing and then fill it with water and attach it to the garden hose. Turn on the water and turn the dial until you get the desired amount of suds. Let it soak a bit, and keep it wet. This actually washes off a lot of dirt.

Then wipe with a wash mitt that looks like it's got 1,000 caterpillars sewn onto it.

Rinse.

Dry with 100% cotton cloth - which is usually our old thread-bare t-shirts.
Looks like you just waxed it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Pledge for quick cleanup on the plastics. Just make sure you get the unscented kind. Otherwise water and car wash soap for more intense cleaning followed by Pledge to get the water marks off.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As long as the leaf blower hasnt been used as a leaf vacuum they work great as a bike dryer. If they have, you'll blast the plastic with tiny leaf fragments. Using one leg from a pair of nylons over the end of the blower is an effective filter if you want to be safe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dennis Kirk carrys Original Bike Spirit cleaner and polish for $5.99 a can and it is identical to Honda cleaner and polish.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OBVIOUSLY, I just don't ride when the weathers bad. When there is no rain in the forcast I'm on the bike/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts