GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mesh jacket with a liner and padding within the jacket in need of cleaning.

What is the ways of cleaning? I see no cleaning instruction on my jacket.

I'm thinking, pull the pads and liner out. Wash the jacket and liner in washing machine in cold water with a little soap. Let hang dry.

Do I even have to pull the pads out?

TIA

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I have a mesh jacket with a liner and padding within the jacket in need of cleaning.

What is the ways of cleaning? I see no cleaning instruction on my jacket.

I'm thinking, pull the pads and liner out. Wash the jacket and liner in washing machine in cold water with a little soap. Let hang dry.

Do I even have to pull the pads out?

TIA
I've always pulled the pads out on mine as the washing instructions recommended.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always pulled the pads out on mine as the washing instructions recommended.
I found the washing instructions.

Said nothing about removing the pads, but I did it anyways.

The jacket does not look much cleaner after washing per their instructions.

O-well, I tried.

Maybe next riding season (September start) I will have a new Mesh Jacket with a liner.....

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have washed my tourmaster air intake 3 jacket after removing the pads.

It may not look any better (fading of black jacket caused by sunlight) but it sure smelled a lot better. >:)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The wife washes our without pulling the pads and they hold up okay.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I soak mine in the laundry tub. (with detergent) then I take it outside hose it off and hang up to dry.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you just soak it, do you see the difference or does it just smell better?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wash in a big front loader and it will get really clean! Those machines are gentle on your stuff, too! I always take out the pads . . .

·
Registered
32 Posts
For my Olympia jackets I spray them down with Simple green, or if really dirty, Castrol Super Clean and take them to the car wash on the heavy duty hanger they came with with the liner out. Then pressure wash them with soap and much rinsing and let them drip dry in the sun. Wash liner as per manufacturers instructions.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have a hi-vis jacket and I washed it on the concrete driveway with soap, water, and a stiff floor brush. It helped but it was not as clean as new.
Our HI-VIS TOUMASTER Transition 2 jackets we have owned since 2009 were really grungy and I laid them out and scrubbed with laundry soap and a brush and I rewashed them and they looked pretty good. I have kept them treated with UV protectant and Scotch Guard and apply new waterproofing also. Just regular washing didn't do much.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
JUST NEED TO RIDE IN A HARD RAIN FOR COUPLE HUNDRED MILES :surprise: EVEN THE LOVE BUGS COME OUT.!:wink2: THINK REASON FOR TAKING PADS OUT IS MOST FLOAT SO JACKET DOESNT REALLY "GET WASHED "

Reactions: thebroz and Kenichi

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
works for me

I wash my Olympia jacket the same as you do and with the armour out. Hang to dry. It gets pretty clean. Usually wash it at the end of each riding season.

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Our HI-VIS TOUMASTER Transition 2 jackets we have owned since 2009 were really grungy and I laid them out and scrubbed with laundry soap and a brush and I rewashed them and they looked pretty good. I have kept them treated with UV protectant and Scotch Guard and apply new waterproofing also. Just regular washing didn't do much.
My hi-viz Darien jacket has been difficult to clean. I washed it four times in a row, including a good soak with, "Shout". It still has dirt rings around the neck and wrists, and here and there on the exterior. I am just gonna use it as is, and when it gets filthy enough, toss it, and get another color next time. Have also considered going back to a leather MC jacket as I have used for decades. Nothing wrong with leather, and the novelty of the more modern, "riding jacket" is just about to wear off. I do like the black Darien pants, but for summer, also looking at Diamond Gusset jeans, as you recently introduced me too, Lyle.

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you have a good steam machine, you can clean and deodorize with that or send it off to the dry cleaner and have them do it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts